Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:19 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

Your 4 year old will be pre-k so you aren't looking at school for her yet, you'll need a pre-k.
I didn't view much of Sugarland so can't really help. We went to a few houses, but it became clear we were looking at Eldridge/Katy instead for our commute.

Do you have a realtor working with you? It sounds like you don't know much about the Houston area. Neither did I. It's difficult to appreciate how huge it is. Houston is about the same size as London. That's just Houston, not including areas like Katy, Sugarland etc. So it's a bit like moving to London and wondering if you should live in Richmond, Knightsbridge, Soho etc. There's a big distance between the areas and big differences within those different areas. That's where your realtor should help. They should be able to find sample houses in a few different areas that meet your requirements and then you can pin down an area.

When we first started looking we were looking at Sugarland, Katy, Memorial, Lakes on Eldrige, Energy Corridor. Then as the realtor took us places, we narrowed down the list.

I might browse on HAR in a bit and see if I can help...
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:37 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...0&backButton=Y
The school for this one gets 10/10 on great schools

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...9&backButton=Y
You'd have to ask for this school details

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...4&backButton=Y
You'd have to ask for this ones school details too

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...4&backButton=Y
This gets a 7/10 on great schools

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSea...1&backButton=Y
This gets a 10/10 on great schools
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough

Thanks Weeze, you're really helpful...I'll take a look.

Sugarmomma, what makes you prefer Pearland out of interest?

Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Thanks Weeze, you're really helpful...I'll take a look.

Sugarmomma, what makes you prefer Pearland out of interest?

Thanks
Sugarland has lots of amenities, lots of sub-divisions some really nice and some not so. But it is an extremley busy area (IMO) Pearland has many amenitities and is a growing area but to me still has a "countryside" feel to it.

Neither of these two cities had anything when we first moved here 24 years ago so it has been interesting to see the changes.

Good luck on the move honey Hope you find somewhere that you feel comfortable with.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:50 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Sugarland has lots of amenities, lots of sub-divisions some really nice and some not so. But it is an extremley busy area (IMO) Pearland has many amenitities and is a growing area but to me still has a "countryside" feel to it.

Neither of these two cities had anything when we first moved here 24 years ago so it has been interesting to see the changes.

Good luck on the move honey Hope you find somewhere that you feel comfortable with.
You forgot the most important reason that Pearland is better - I live there
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
You forgot the most important reason that Pearland is better - I live there
Oh that was a given my dear

Time I had a day off so we can meet for lunch again
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may want to take a chance and take the idea that all of Houston is crime-ridden. I am doubtful you are making plans to move into any of the more ghetto areas....and until you get here, you really can't know a neighborhood until you have seen it,or been there a bit.

Get onto city-data.com for Houston. Folks will not steer you wrong there. In fact there is a recent thread on the increasingly longer commute out of Katy. For someone commuting to Baylor med, it's a hike.

Work with a good local realtor who knows the area that you are targeting. It makes all the difference. Ask for recommendations on city-data or from folks from hubby's work.

Of course the neighborhoods around med center are ideal, but if you are looking for a house I too suspect that budget will price you out of Bellaire, Rice Village, etc. Remember a lease isn't forever...

We are suggesting Pearland and Sugarland for budget and commutable distances. When you see a house that is of interest, simply research the schools. Within one district has many schools with different ratings.

I am assuming that you have a place to stay when you arrive as temp accommodations?
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Weeze did a great job on the HAR search. I didn't expect the first one's location in such a good school district to be that affordable. You have a good chance to find something close! All the houses she put up are great ideas to start a search.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Sugarmooma, that's really nice of you.

Yes, we have temp accommodation in an apartment in the city. To be honest, I think we'd rather live a bit out, we live in a small village right now and have never been keen on city living, so the suburbs will suit us better I think. Sounds like the thing to do is get a realtor from somewhere then....
Old Oct 10th 2012, 11:56 am
Account Closed

Thanks Sugarmooma, that's really nice of you.

Yes, we have temp accommodation in an apartment in the city. To be honest, I think we'd rather live a bit out, we live in a small village right now and have never been keen on city living, so the suburbs will suit us better I think. Sounds like the thing to do is get a realtor from somewhere then....
That's good to have the temp accomadation because it gives you chance to get more acclimitised.

One step at a time, and the help of a realtor really will make life easier plus any questions we can help with

And if you consider the Pearland area ChoclateBabz might be able to answer some of your questions (she's a sweet lady)
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
That's good to have the temp accomadation because it gives you chance to get more acclimitised.

One step at a time, and the help of a realtor really will make life easier plus any questions we can help with

And if you consider the Pearland area ChoclateBabz might be able to answer some of your questions (she's a sweet lady)
Thanks so much for the advice - some people here seem a bit irritated by what I think are reasonable questions from someone who knows zero about Houston, but you've been lovely!

ChocolateBabz, would love any advice about where's good in Pearland and why you like living there?!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Thanks so much for the advice - some people here seem a bit irritated by what I think are reasonable questions from someone who knows zero about Houston, but you've been lovely!

ChocolateBabz, would love any advice about where's good in Pearland and why you like living there?!
Ask all you want, it's a difficult situation.

Concentrate on the things you can do right now, make the move as smooth as possible. Get comfortable in your temp accomodation when you get here and then start the search...

Right, I'm off to work now. Try and have a stress free day mate. Your new adventure is about to start
Old Oct 10th 2012, 1:10 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Ask away. I think it would help to try and narrow down your priorities; good schools, do you have a commute time in mind (30 mins, 40 mins etc), type of development (managed community, more mature community with fewer amenities) is house/yard space more important than location. $2,500 is enough further out but in rice/west u won't get you that much.

Good luck!!
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:27 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Have replied to your pm
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again guys. We truly aren't that keen on being too far into the city being little village mice at the moment, so hubby happy with up to 45 mins commute. Good elementary schools is also v important as is a nice safe area (I know I keep saying it, but it's true!). If anyone has a realtor to recommend, I'd be happy to take your recommendation!

If everyone in Houston is as nice as some of you guys, I'm sure we'll love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.