Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

What do you think of these areas guys?

We arrive on 23rd......!!!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 4:49 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

Do you mean Fort Bend County? If so, that's a difficult question to answer as it covers a huge area. It's Katy, Sugarland, Rosenberg, Richmond.....
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Well Fort Bend County North/Richmond, (Pecan Grove) or New Territory?

Any thoughts very gratefully received!!!

Helen
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:14 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, only been to the farmers market in Richmond so can't really help. That's going to be quite a commute though.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm, okay. It's hard to tell from here!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:22 pm

Google map travel time to work. It'll give you some idea, but remember it's a holiday today and not rush hour when you see the timings.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 5:32 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Google map travel time to work. It'll give you some idea, but remember it's a holiday today and not rush hour when you see the timings.
Meh, it's only a holiday for some people!

I would echo Weeze's comments and say that could be quite a commute. Not only only either 59 or Westpark tollway (depending on how far North you're talking) but getting to one of those main freeways may take you quite a while in itself...

Whereabouts will the main commute(s) be to?
Old Oct 8th 2012, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what we think about them in terms of what.

We have driven though Richmond and Rosenberg a number of times.

Rosenberg is a dying town like you'll see in many parts of Texas. Town has a center with closed shops and antique/second hand shops. The rail lines run through it. Richmond was more built up with MPCs near to New Territory. A lot of Dollar Stores and Family Dollar stores....

It is a lower per capita income...meaning look at the demographics online. That translates into not the best schools. I'm looking at Richmond, which is the county seat, for the low per capita 'concern', especially as you did post that you were concerned about crime.

Why are YOU looking out there? Here in the USA, you get what you pay for. If it's cheap housing, then you will get poor schools, nasty commutes and fragmented communities.

Sugar land is a decent bet all around if SW of Houston is now your target area.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Do you have kids? If so, you would be sensible to do some serious research on the schools in the area guard looking at. I would avoid Rosenberg like the plague but that's just me. New Territory/Pecan Grove are nice areas but I'm not sure about the schools. This would be Lamar school district I think. We live in Katy (Cinco Ranch) and are in Katy ISD, which has excellent schools. There is a lot of information on here about the west and south west side of Houston. Also, Citidata.com is helpful. Where will you be working? That is something you really have to think about here. Traffic is hellish, so you need to live in the general direction of where you work, unless you want to spend 2 hours a day or more in your car.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks all for your comments. I was asking about those areas as there were a couple of quite nice looking rental houses there we saw online. My husband will be working at the medical center. We quite like the look of Sugarland, and I was initially keen on Katy / Cinco Ranch but have been put off by feedback about commute times....we want to live in the best possible area with good schools but we are limited by a max rental budget of $2500 per month.

I guess I'm just looking for any help / advice from people who know the areas as I don't have a clue what's good and what's around the corner from the crime centre of Houston - sorry of my questions seem silly...
Old Oct 9th 2012, 2:59 pm

Well, commute wise, West U, bellaire, memorial and energy corridor would all suit you well. As a general rule, schools are better outside of Houston ISD, but you can check goodschools to see how the local one ranks. How old are your children? Will they be school age here or pre-k age?
Sugarland would be good. I suspect west u and bellaire wouldn't suit your budget. Energy corridor would be okay price wise I'd have thought and is much nearer than Katy. Are you using American schools or British school systems?
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Weeze

The children are 4 and 6 (5 and 7 in March) and will be using the US public schools.

Is all of Sugarland good in your opinion (in terms of safety, child friendly etc) or any areas to avoid?

I know these all seems stupid questions but appreciate the guidance.

Helen
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

We also considered Pearland - better or worse in terms of commute / nice area than Sugar alnd? Or swings and roundabouts?

Thanks............
Old Oct 9th 2012, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Depends what we think about them in terms of what.

Why are YOU looking out there? Here in the USA, you get what you pay for. If it's cheap housing, then you will get poor schools, nasty commutes and fragmented communities.
Yeah, we don't live in Houston yet. I don't know where the proliferation of dollar stores are and when you see a nice house on the internet, you wonder what the neighbouhood is like and I don't really know when I'm looking at a bad area or not and have a fixed budget - just trying to do my best here. Kinds thought the point of these forums was sharing information.....
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
We also considered Pearland - better or worse in terms of commute / nice area than Sugar alnd? Or swings and roundabouts?

Thanks............
Pearland is an easy commute to Med Center.Also parking just up the hwy at West Belfort and using the Metro Rail it ymight make the commute easier

Personally I like Pearland over Sugarland.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Oct 9th 2012 at 7:34 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.