Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Former Brightonians now in the US?

Former Brightonians now in the US?

Old May 29th 2014, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Former Brightonians now in the US?

Anyone on here from Brighton/Hove? If so, where are you living now and how do you like it compared to Brighton/Hove? What, if anything, do you miss? What DON'T you miss?
Old May 29th 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Former Brightonians now in the US?

Stone beaches?

My step-dad's stepmum lived in Hove and we spent time down there as kids. Seeing Dick Emery, Mary Hopkin and the Barron Knights on the pier in the late 60's (gosh, I'm getting old!).
Old May 29th 2014, 4:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I gatecrash? Not in the US, but in Australia, Brisbane to be more precise.

Went to Brighton Poly years ago, stayed there after I graduated, and spent 20 years there before emigrating. Still wonder why I left....... I miss the pebbly beach, the pier(s), the starlings in the Steyne at twilight, the pubs, the quirky shops of the North Laines......... Brighton is unique, and I think most of us who have lived there have left a part of our hearts behind.
Old May 29th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a stretch but my Mum lives in Eastbourne I love it around there, and Brighton seems more buzzy than ever when I visit.
Old May 29th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't moved yet so I am meeting my wife a at Brighton station in about 40 minutes for dinner and drinks.

We live down the coast from Brighton (outside of the Hove "actually" border).
Old May 29th 2014, 6:46 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Eastbourne, Polegate and Peacehaven! Parents still live in Eastbourne. I worked in Brighton at the YHA shop when i was doing my A-levels.
Old May 29th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I was an assistant/duty manager at the bowling alley in Eastbourne when it was owned by Granada!

Got canned after an all-night poker game in which I took two weeks wages off the bartender and the mechanic!
Old May 30th 2014, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

AnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond repute

I am brighton born and breed and now live in the Bay Area near San Francisco. I miss so many things!, I love brighton. I miss the people, the night life, the general vibe and the summer evenings having drinks at the bars on the beach
Old May 30th 2014, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton is just unique, thats the problem, I meet so many Aussies who have been there and they say its like nowhere else. So hard to nail down missing one or two things, I just miss the whole place and its atmosphere!
Old May 30th 2014, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Lived there for a few years in the nineties and loved it. Left as a dedicated Albion fan...

What do I miss ? Quirky stores and restaurants, the pubs, the Albion.

What don't I miss ? Not much

Currently live in Connecticut, which is much nearer to suburban Surrey in character - nothing like Brighton.

Last edited by dinosaur; May 30th 2014 at 2:00 pm.
Old May 31st 2014, 2:08 am
Just Joined

MellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really nice

Moved back to USA 2(ish) years ago. Lived in Portslade, Southwick and Hove. Went to UofB. Worked for years at the hospital and loved loved loved that job. MrD and MasterD are both Brighton born and bred.
A lot of what we miss is not specific to Brighton (foodstuff, NHS, holiday time, access to continent) - but I do miss good public transport, decent pubs, Duke of York's, Preston Park velodrome. I guess those are all things the town we live in now do not have. I don't miss the weather at all - used to cycle from the slade to the hossy every day, always against the wind in both direction.
Oh and I miss the Great Escape, and being able to see big acts that would only play in London and taking the last train back, so no driving involved.
Old May 31st 2014, 11:21 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by MellD
Moved back to USA 2(ish) years ago. Lived in Portslade, Southwick and Hove. Went to UofB. Worked for years at the hospital and loved loved loved that job. MrD and MasterD are both Brighton born and bred.
A lot of what we miss is not specific to Brighton (foodstuff, NHS, holiday time, access to continent) - but I do miss good public transport, decent pubs, Duke of York's, Preston Park velodrome. I guess those are all things the town we live in now do not have. I don't miss the weather at all - used to cycle from the slade to the hossy every day, always against the wind in both direction.
Oh and I miss the Great Escape, and being able to see big acts that would only play in London and taking the last train back, so no driving involved.
Ah, that frantic run across Victoria Station for the last train......!!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you missing Brighton you should check out

http://www.radioreverb.com

Its a not for profit volunteer radio station from Brighton. Music on there is arty/dub/regae/world type music. Also they have art focused shows and spoken word slots as well.

It's pretty cool. It's also available through tune in app on phones.

Juice FM is the commercial Brighton station.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:58 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Born and raised in Fishersgate and moved to Brighton in my teens. Then on to Lancing and Worthing as the family grew. Life here in this part of SC is like Mars compared to Brighton, but our standard of living has raised quite a bit. Do miss a lot of our friends from Brighton and the general 'scene' and closeness of everything and of course The Albion

Don't miss the closeness of everything ( ) and the crappy weather. Sister still lives in Hove and brother in Lancing.