Forgotten Louisiana

Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:57 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forgotten Louisiana

Originally Posted by Manc
incorrect.

the state has insurers of last resort.

see Citizens in florida for example.
the federal flood insurance program is the same. it has set limitations, but does offer some coverage where private insurance companies will point blank not cover floods.
but there is always a policy to be had somewhere.
I stand corrected
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
I stand corrected
when it comes to private companies you were correct, so didn't mean to shout you down.

private companies will not write business in entire area's... but that's their right.
the State / Federal programs pick up the slack.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:11 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
incorrect.

the state has insurers of last resort.

see Citizens in florida for example.
the federal flood insurance program is the same. it has set limitations, but does offer some coverage where private insurance companies will point blank not cover floods.
but there is always a policy to be had somewhere.
The National Flood Insurance Program provides cover in any community which agrees to implement the basic regulations of the NFIP: this means at minimum regulating future development to minimise the risk of flood damage. The NFIP was started essentially because the private insurers of the USA made a collective decision many years ago to remove themselves wholesale from the business of providing flood insurance, because the only people who would want flood insurance were people who knew they were going to get flooded.

But you can't just abandon whole towns and cities that were already built in the floodplain and have been there for decades without damaging the national economy, so the Government brought in the NFIP: Policies are still written by private companies, but it's all backed by the Feds. The payouts aren't unlimited (capped at $250,000 for a private residence) but better than the jack shit you'd get if you left it solely to the private sector.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:10 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
personally I think thats a silly comparision, and i'm not being nasty, just rational.

I would have a huge issue with federal tax dollars being spent to rebuild your house - you should have insurance.... if you are too poor to have insurance you have no business owning a house and should rent...

funny that on this site people moan about americans passing the buck and suing mickey d's for being burnt by hot coffee and generally not taking responsibility for their own actions, but people not taking out federally subsidized flood insurance when they live in a city 8 feet below sea level is OK? seems stupid to me

rebuilding public services that are really the responsibility of the county/city government with federal money is completely OK with me since the levees failed and were corps of engineers responsibility (I think!)
Surely, if the failure of the levees is down to the dereliction of duties by the Corps, the cost of rebuilding the houses should be theirs too?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by cassandra_trotter

and with that i'm off to bed with a JD and coke
Who's JD and how much did you pay for the Charlie?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:45 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Surely, if the failure of the levees is down to the dereliction of duties by the Corps, the cost of rebuilding the houses should be theirs too?
engineering fails, there is nothing 100% guaranteed in life...

people choosing to live in an area that should be underwater should have insurance...

If my real estate business fails because the fed increases interest rates at some point in the future, would you say that the fed should give me a monthly check to cover the difference between what my rents are and what I thought my mortgage payments would be?

nope, didn't think so...

same stuff really, I decided to take on a lot of risk and get mortgaged to the hilt and buy a load of property without really knowing whay my future costs will be.... (commercial loans typically have a maximum of a 5 year fixed rate). no different from living in a city that should be underwater
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

cassandra_trotter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mallory
My OH's family traveled down from SC and GA, into Florida in the mid 1800s. They bought land cheap, and started a dairy farm. Part of the family still live on the land. They have seen all kind of storms, droughts, fires, etc. Never knocked on FEMA's door though. They were tough, and worked hard. Which people do you admire the most, the wimps who sit around waiting for FEMA, or the people who survive mother natures storms, and get out and help themselves?
people died and it was a natural disaster, compassion isn't your strongest point i gather
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:08 pm
Account Closed

I agree. What is the whole fema claim supposed to be about anyway?

What about preparedness?
handicapped people, poor people with no transport, animals, elderly people, wheres the bloody money , sunshine??????:curse:
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I really have no clue how the "reconstruction" is going there, I haven't been tracking it. I have no doubt that FEMA has F**ked it up, they are a Govt. organization after all. It was Govt. at all levels that was responsible for the mess directly after the storm and they obviously screwed that up as well.

All that said, it makes me cringe to see able bodied people sitting around helpless and pathetic, waiting for the Govt to feed them because they know no other way of life, or how to care for themselves. I'm speaking of the situation directly after the storm, BTW.
its going badly, when a disaster of this magnitude hits, you weep, you scream and you pray beacause it took away everything.

i have seen poverty first hand, and its not pretty, on the other hand i am so proud of living with people who wont give up

it says a lot about america, the ones that give a shit.....and the ones that dont.:curse:
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It's not just that ..... this is what we pay our damned taxes for. I don't live in Louisiana but I have no problem with my FEDERAL tax dollars being spent to rebuild the place. I would hope the rest of the country would feel the same for me if my home was wiped out by a tornado.

God, why are people so damned nasty to each other?
whatever happened to love and compassion for each other. friends lost everything in the 2007 floods in avon and gloucester and it hurts as much there as it hurts here in louisiana.

i detest the "dog eat dog" mentality of american life.

certainly opened my eyes about america, i can tell you, cos i''ve booked my flight on aer lingus today:curse::curse:
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rushman
Who's JD and how much did you pay for the Charlie?

Zipps Liquor $ 20.00 for the JD and $ 1.49 for the coke

and rushman...I was drunk as a skunk and loving it
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:54 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

certainly opened my eyes about america, i can tell you, cos i''ve booked my flight on aer lingus today:curse::curse:
oh dear, you couldn't stay a while, roll you shirts sleeves up, and help out. what a shame.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:23 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

personally I think thats a silly comparision, and i'm not being nasty, just rational.

I would have a huge issue with federal tax dollars being spent to rebuild your house - you should have insurance.... if you are too poor to have insurance you have no business owning a house and should rent...

funny that on this site people moan about americans passing the buck and suing mickey d's for being burnt by hot coffee and generally not taking responsibility for their own actions, but people not taking out federally subsidized flood insurance when they live in a city 8 feet below sea level is OK? seems stupid to me

rebuilding public services that are really the responsibility of the county/city government with federal money is completely OK with me since the levees failed and were corps of engineers responsibility (I think!)
Excuse me? Where did I say anybody paid to rebuild my house? I'm talking about rebuilding roads, infrastructure, schools and bringing in supplies so that people don't have to leave the area just to survive. Can you even read? NONE OF THAT HAS HAPPENED IN NEW ORLEANS YET!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:50 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i have seen poverty first hand, and its not pretty, on the other hand i am so proud of living with people who wont give up
wow, you are incredible, you've seen poverty first hand?! crikey. you must be on the only person on this forum who has that unique perspective...

i've also seen plenty of people here (just like in the UK) who are completely able bodied and are quite happy to live off welfare and not make any effort to improve their situation when working harder is a completely obvious thing to do.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:54 am
Mr. Grumpy

Excuse me? Where did I say anybody paid to rebuild my house? I'm talking about rebuilding roads, infrastructure, schools and bringing in supplies so that people don't have to leave the area just to survive. Can you even read? NONE OF THAT HAS HAPPENED IN NEW ORLEANS YET!!!!!!!!
crossed wires

I would hope the rest of the country would feel the same for me if my home was wiped out by a tornado.
I obviously got my wires crossed, but home to me is my residence, it appears that in the originaly comment you made you were referring to the area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.