British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Forgot the green card! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/forgot-green-card-698201/)

Catgirl Dec 26th 2010 3:53 pm

Forgot the green card!

Arrived yesterday to UK for a week and forgot the green card back home in the states by mistake. My daughters who are travelling with me, both have theirs. Will they give me a hard time when I go back to the states next week?

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 26th 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Forgot the green card!

Can you get it mailed over?

tonrob Dec 26th 2010 4:12 pm

This happened to a friend of Mrs tonrob recently. In the end she got her son to get the GC from her house and drive to the airport with it. Sounds like a bit of a last-chance saloon type plan, but just thoughts I'd say.

Mailing it over might also be a problem? Isn't the UK postal system backed up a bit with the weather? Maybe there's some kind of courier service that would be more reliable.

lansbury Dec 26th 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9061100)
Maybe there's some kind of courier service that would be more reliable.

Next day air on UPS or FedEx about $50 and a lesson learned

AmerLisa Dec 26th 2010 4:32 pm

This happened to a friend of Mrs tonrob recently. In the end she got her son to get the GC from her house and drive to the airport with it. Sounds like a bit of a last-chance saloon type plan, but just thoughts I'd say.

Mailing it over might also be a problem? Isn't the UK postal system backed up a bit with the weather? Maybe there's some kind of courier service that would be more reliable.

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9061101)
Next day air on UPS or FedEx about $50 and a lesson learned

And hope no one steals it in the process....:ohmy:

Can you not just tell the immigration officer that you forgot it? Is the stamp in your passport still there? I'm sorry, I don't remember what its called, would have to go and look at my husband's passport.....but when he entered the country his passport was stamped saying he was more than a visitor.....:unsure:

Catgirl Dec 26th 2010 4:47 pm

Thank you for the replies. I asked me neighbour to go over to the house and look for it. She found it and is fedex-ing it over tomorrow morning.

lonestargirl Dec 26th 2010 5:15 pm

My friend did this, we just FedExed it to her. Cost about $60, took 2 days and that was to a remote Norweigan village.

MrEmjoy Dec 26th 2010 5:22 pm

Two week delay on a first class package for me at the moment but letters were getting through quick before Christmas, had one come in less than 2 days.

Still getting someone to come to the airport with it seems like a better option.

Maybe email 'The Man' and see what they say.

Rete Dec 26th 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Catgirl (Post 9061127)
Thank you for the replies. I asked me neighbour to go over to the house and look for it. She found it and is fedex-ing it over tomorrow morning.

Great and remember you should be carrying your green card on your person at all times (when you leave your house).

tonrob Dec 26th 2010 6:14 pm

Cue another long-winded who can be arsed carrying their Green Card around with them thread! :rofl:

md95065 Dec 26th 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9061178)
Cue another long-winded who can be arsed carrying their Green Card around with them thread! :rofl:

Happy to oblige :D

I just have it in my wallet along with my credit cards and I don't even notice the extra weight ...

... and in my case, I can assure you that I would be much more likely to lose it if I "put it somewhere safe" than by just carrying it around with me all the time (which has the added benefit that if, by some chance, I did lose it I would become aware of the loss almost immediately)

tonrob Dec 26th 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 9061188)
Happy to oblige :D

I just have it in my wallet along with my credit cards and I don't even notice the extra weight ...

... and in my case, I can assure you that I would be much more likely to lose it if I "put it somewhere safe" than by just carrying it around with me all the time (which has the added benefit that if, by some chance, I did lose it I would become aware of the loss almost immediately)

I keep mine wedged in my passport (in a safe place at home) - I therefore have it every time I need it and it's safe when I don't. :)

AdobePinon Dec 26th 2010 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9061283)
I keep mine wedged in my passport (in a safe place at home) - I therefore have it every time I need it and it's safe when I don't. :)

Ah... but do you remember where your passport is? :rofl:

discoviking Dec 26th 2010 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 9061296)
Ah... but do you remember where your passport is? :rofl:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that his passport is with his green card.:p

tonrob Dec 26th 2010 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 9061342)
I am going to go out on a limb and say that his passport is with his green card.:p

I keep both in the sprout drawer in the fridge.