Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forgot the green card!

Forgot the green card!

Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:54 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forgot the green card!

Originally Posted by tonrob
I keep both in the sprout drawer in the fridge.
Damn. If it's in one of the sprout fridges, it's going to take years to find.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Lives in the wallet. I have found it to be a good talking point actually as most Americans have never seen one, and they like all the biometrics.

Now, I would never carry the SS card around LOL.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Now, I would never carry the SS card around LOL.
That makes perfect sense - it is printed on such a flimsy piece of cardboard that it would probably fall apart in a few months if you did ...
Old Dec 27th 2010, 1:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
That makes perfect sense - it is printed on such a flimsy piece of cardboard that it would probably fall apart in a few months if you did ...

I just found mine from 1968 and it is in pristine condition. I carried it in my wallet from 1968 til 1998 when I remarried and took a new surname.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:59 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't the airlines swipe your green card at the airport in the US when departing. At that point I would realise I had left it behind - mind you that would never happen as I have OCD!!

Anyway, shouldn't the OP have had this done when they left the US.... I guess it depends if the person at the checkin desk, bag drop whatever asked your status etc....

Not much help from me, just wondering!!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burn1911
Don't the airlines swipe your green card at the airport in the US when departing. At that point I would realise I had left it behind - mind you that would never happen as I have OCD!!

Anyway, shouldn't the OP have had this done when they left the US.... I guess it depends if the person at the checkin desk, bag drop whatever asked your status etc....

Not much help from me, just wondering!!
Why would they care when you are leaving?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

When I re-entered the US in July after gaining the GC in April, the guy said to me, do you have the GC and I said no ( I hadn't been able to collect it in the interim), and he said dont worry, and waved me through.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:33 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I have been asked if I had a green card by the airline rep at the bag drop when exiting the US, but I think this arose because they were looking for an I-94 to remove and couldn't find one. They may have even taken the step of ensuring my GC info was in the Advance Passenger info ready for my return journey (speculating as to that last bit as I think I did remember her taking it from me). Anyway, would strongly suspect that none of this was mandatory and would anyway go away now that I-94Ws are going/gone?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:01 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I have been asked if I had a green card by the airline rep at the bag drop when exiting the US, but I think this arose because they were looking for an I-94 to remove and couldn't find one. They may have even taken the step of ensuring my GC info was in the Advance Passenger info ready for my return journey (speculating as to that last bit as I think I did remember her taking it from me). Anyway, would strongly suspect that none of this was mandatory and would anyway go away now that I-94Ws are going/gone?
Yep I dunno why, or why they would care, BUT I do know that everytime I have flown back to the UK they have asked for my green card and swiped it, most recently in October - anyway maybe it is is Seatac thing.... but when you enter you advance passenger information you have to enter if you have a GC and your A#, maybe it gets flagged then

Suppose it doesn't matter anyway as the OP is already in England without the green card anyway.....
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Given the discussion that ensued with the check in personnel when I flew back from the UK with an endorsed visa (but before the GC showed up in the mail), I'd think the problem is going to be at the UK end (when trying to leave) rather than at the US end.