Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forgot the green card!

Forgot the green card!

Old Dec 26th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future
Default Forgot the green card!

Arrived yesterday to UK for a week and forgot the green card back home in the states by mistake. My daughters who are travelling with me, both have theirs. Will they give me a hard time when I go back to the states next week?
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Forgot the green card!

Can you get it mailed over?
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

This happened to a friend of Mrs tonrob recently. In the end she got her son to get the GC from her house and drive to the airport with it. Sounds like a bit of a last-chance saloon type plan, but just thoughts I'd say.

Mailing it over might also be a problem? Isn't the UK postal system backed up a bit with the weather? Maybe there's some kind of courier service that would be more reliable.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Maybe there's some kind of courier service that would be more reliable.
Next day air on UPS or FedEx about $50 and a lesson learned
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

This happened to a friend of Mrs tonrob recently. In the end she got her son to get the GC from her house and drive to the airport with it. Sounds like a bit of a last-chance saloon type plan, but just thoughts I'd say.

Mailing it over might also be a problem? Isn't the UK postal system backed up a bit with the weather? Maybe there's some kind of courier service that would be more reliable.
Originally Posted by lansbury
Next day air on UPS or FedEx about $50 and a lesson learned
And hope no one steals it in the process....

Can you not just tell the immigration officer that you forgot it? Is the stamp in your passport still there? I'm sorry, I don't remember what its called, would have to go and look at my husband's passport.....but when he entered the country his passport was stamped saying he was more than a visitor.....
Old Dec 26th 2010, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future

Thank you for the replies. I asked me neighbour to go over to the house and look for it. She found it and is fedex-ing it over tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend did this, we just FedExed it to her. Cost about $60, took 2 days and that was to a remote Norweigan village.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:22 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Two week delay on a first class package for me at the moment but letters were getting through quick before Christmas, had one come in less than 2 days.

Still getting someone to come to the airport with it seems like a better option.

Maybe email 'The Man' and see what they say.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catgirl
Thank you for the replies. I asked me neighbour to go over to the house and look for it. She found it and is fedex-ing it over tomorrow morning.

Great and remember you should be carrying your green card on your person at all times (when you leave your house).
Old Dec 26th 2010, 6:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Cue another long-winded who can be arsed carrying their Green Card around with them thread!
Old Dec 26th 2010, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Cue another long-winded who can be arsed carrying their Green Card around with them thread!
Happy to oblige

I just have it in my wallet along with my credit cards and I don't even notice the extra weight ...

... and in my case, I can assure you that I would be much more likely to lose it if I "put it somewhere safe" than by just carrying it around with me all the time (which has the added benefit that if, by some chance, I did lose it I would become aware of the loss almost immediately)
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:14 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by md95065
Happy to oblige

I just have it in my wallet along with my credit cards and I don't even notice the extra weight ...

... and in my case, I can assure you that I would be much more likely to lose it if I "put it somewhere safe" than by just carrying it around with me all the time (which has the added benefit that if, by some chance, I did lose it I would become aware of the loss almost immediately)
I keep mine wedged in my passport (in a safe place at home) - I therefore have it every time I need it and it's safe when I don't.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I keep mine wedged in my passport (in a safe place at home) - I therefore have it every time I need it and it's safe when I don't.
Ah... but do you remember where your passport is?
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Ah... but do you remember where your passport is?
I am going to go out on a limb and say that his passport is with his green card.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:04 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by discoviking
I am going to go out on a limb and say that his passport is with his green card.
I keep both in the sprout drawer in the fridge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.