Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forget the gym, try this....

Forget the gym, try this....

Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:27 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forget the gym, try this....

Don't worry, this isn't a Bowflex commercial.

The best way I've found to lose weight is to mow my yard in the 92 degree weather. Phew. We have just under an acre so it keeps me fit. It looks like I've been for a swim when I'm through

Forget the gym subscriptions, get yourself a push mower for only $120.00 and get out there.

I'll wait till I get to my ideal weight, then I'll buy a ride-on
Attached Thumbnails Forget the gym, try this....-yard02.jpg  
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:38 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Trouble is... you'd have to turn that pic 45 degrees for half of our yard and push the bloody mower up hill.

It's great for sledding in the snow, but this time of year Todd usually pays someone then gives them beer!

It looks nice and rustic where you live... ever seen any giant bugs?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:46 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

It looks nice and rustic where you live... ever seen any giant bugs?
Just the usual. Lizards, frogs, drunk bugs (my wife calls them that, they just fly at the lights and fall over.....weird...kind of like May Bugs in England), ants that hurt like hell when they bite, moths the size of my hand (I have big hands) and other flying things.

We have a couple of regular frogs . We have lights outside our front door in the ground that light up the pathway and there are two frogs that hang out there at night and eat the bugs. They've gotten used to us now and don't scarper when we go outside to smoke.

If I remember tonight, I'll try and get a picture of them.

There is the snake problem too, but I haven't seen any since we've been in this house (just over a year now). That's why I mow once a week, makes them easier to spot.

I can't believe how fast the grass grows here, we get two days of rain and it just shoots up.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forget the gym, try this....

Originally posted by rincewind

The best way I've found to lose weight is to mow my yard in the 92 degree weather. Phew. We have just under an acre so it keeps me fit. It looks like I've been for a swim when I'm through

Forget the gym subscriptions, get yourself a push mower for only $120.00 and get out there.

to keep cool put a wet shirt on that you had in the fridge or freezer if you are game, will keep you cool for a while. I often if I'd doing outside work take it straight out the washing machine and put it on, the other great thing is you dont need to iron it either. Keeps you cool for a while until it dries out.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mercedes
to keep cool put a wet shirt on that you had in the fridge or freezer if you are game, will keep you cool for a while. I often if I'd doing outside work take it straight out the washing machine and put it on, the other great thing is you dont need to iron it either. Keeps you cool for a while until it dries out.
"Dries out"!!!! No chance! 30 minutes of vigorous mowing in 92 degrees (I too use a push mower on an acre) and the shirt is wetter than it was in the washing machine!

(Sorry, was that too gross?)

You see people around here getting a company in to mow the lawn and then they get in their cars, drive 20 minutes to the gym and then pay hundreds to work out!!! Madness!

Andy.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Looks lovely. Now, how about going over it with a roller............
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:37 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've got two rescue Shetland ponies in dire need of a new home. They'd trim your grass and fertilise it for you!

On the offchance there are any horse lovers here, or anyone knows any, bung me a PM.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:33 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Looks lovely. Now, how about going over it with a roller............
Screw that

The mower is enough.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:09 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sibsie
I've got two rescue Shetland ponies in dire need of a new home. They'd trim your grass and fertilise it for you!

On the offchance there are any horse lovers here, or anyone knows any, bung me a PM.
LoL. I tried that. I had two horses and two ponies in Wales (one Shetland, one minature Shetland). We had sheep to do the "mowing", I was dammed if I was mowing 30 acres!!

Our neighbours had hundreds or some even thousands of acres. They were kind enough to do our hedges for us as we didn't own a tractor
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:12 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Screw that

The mower is enough.
Hmm.. did you trim the edges? My mother used to pay me to trim the edges of the lawn as a child, took me hours (It was a large lawn). With SCISSORS.

Looking back, I'm sure it was some kind of sadistic joke. I have to remind her of that one..........
Old Jun 28th 2004, 12:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
Hmm.. did you trim the edges? My mother used to pay me to trim the edges of the lawn as a child, took me hours (It was a large lawn). With SCISSORS.

Looking back, I'm sure it was some kind of sadistic joke. I have to remind her of that one..........

You were paid ?!?!?! I can see my union did not adequately represent me as a child.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 1:40 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

When I told Dad that I should be paid like all my buddies were to mow and trim, Dad said fine- he'd give me $5 to mow, $2 to trim and $3 for my regular household chores. He then added that breakfast was now $2, lunch $3 and dinner $5. He never had to tell me how much the bed was going to be.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 1:56 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

You were paid ?!?!?! I can see my union did not adequately represent me as a child.
Reminds me of a recent Blondie cartoon. I liked it so much and found it so relevant to our teenagers that I cut it out and stuck it on the fridge.

Dagwood is sitting in armchair, reading the paper. His teenage son comes along holding his hand out, saying "I think I should get paid for mowing the lawn". Dagwood replies "I'll credit your rent payment."

"I don't pay rent!" exclaims the son.
"Exactly" says Dagwood.

Usually these cartoons are viewable on the blondie.com website but I just tried and the pictures won't load

Debbie
Old Jun 29th 2004, 1:49 am
Howling at the Moon

I had a set of standard chores for which I was not paid (wash the dishes every night & clean the kitchen, vacum the whole house at weekends, brush the dog, mind my brother, change his nappies, feed him etc., hang out the laundry etc, etc, etc) I was never given any pocket money/allowance and so used to ask for extra chores so that I could earn some money.

My Mum used to give me 50p for trimming the front and back lawns - that's about 3/4's of an acre of lawn.

I went away to boarding school at eleven so my mother had to cope without me after that
Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:08 am

I went away to boarding school at eleven so my mother had to cope without me after that
I'm not surprised at those rates. Boarding school would be a nice rest cure. Continuing the tradition, my son does the vacuuming. However, this is because he wants to, not because I make him - he's four, and while he does enjoy sucking things up with the vacuum, he doesn't stick to dust on the floor but prefers to try things like coins, lego and those crucially important phone numbers that are kept in piles of tiny bits of paper on the desk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.