Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foreign government ID okay for domestic US flights?

Foreign government ID okay for domestic US flights?

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:17 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign government ID okay for domestic US flights?

I thought you were allowed to fly domestically without ID so long as you were willing to go through "secondary screening", but I can't find anything to that effect on the FAA website.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I thought you were allowed to fly domestically without ID so long as you were willing to go through "secondary screening", but I can't find anything to that effect on the FAA website.
I found this quote on this site - but it may be old and it's not an official source.

Since the mid 90s, American regulations require passengers to show government-issued photo ID, but the requirement is not absolute: if a passenger does not provide such ID, he will be interrogated by security personnel and may be allowed to board his flight.

http://www.pierrelemieux.org/artpassport.htm

Good news is I've found my British passport so I'll cross into the US as usual on my Canadian citizenship card and try my luck on Canadian driver's license for the flight, with British passport as back-up if that's unacceptable.

Thanks again all

Edit: along those lines, noticed whilst waiting in the US border office for the OH to get an I94W done the other day that you don't need to show evidence of Canadian citizenship, you can just make a verbal declaration. They recommend you have something to back up your claim if asked, but it looks like you can be admitted just on your say-so. Probably not me with this British accent though

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 3rd 2008 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Edit: along those lines, noticed whilst waiting in the US border office for the OH to get an I94W done the other day that you don't need to show evidence of Canadian citizenship, you can just make a verbal declaration. They recommend you have something to back up your claim if asked, but it looks like you can be admitted just on your say-so. Probably not me with this British accent though
We just put this to the test ourselves at the Nogales Mexico crossing... didn't have the US passports in view, I was driving (so the UK accent wouldn't be detected) and I wondered if we'd be allowed through on the verbal declaration rule. The question was 'What's everyone's citizenship?' Me: US. Agent 'Do you have any evidence of that, like passports or...?'
And so, out came the passports. The DAH was quizzed on how long he's been a USC and must've answered correctly because he got a 'Congratulations!'.

Glad you found your UK pp.... that's maddening to misplace stuff! (I just found the many hundreds of pesos I left stashed from the last trip.. right after we got *back*)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Meauxna, same here. I tried it, no go for the US, but the Canadians were happy with a verbal declaration and a wave of the cards, didn't want to reach over for them.

And about the plane ID - I completely forgot to try my Canadian drivers license on the way out, but remembered on the way back yesterday. Both Northwest and TSA were happy with it (this was at DCA, National or Reagan, whatever it's called now) and didn't say anything about it at all. Still, I was glad to have my British passport on me as well in case it all went pear-shaped

Thanks again all.