Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foreign Citizens Visiting Florida

Wikiposts

Foreign Citizens Visiting Florida

Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:15 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign Citizens Visiting Florida

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I didn't see anything about penalties in the information provided in the link posted by the OP, or in any of the other posts.

Have you got some information about penalties? Or are you just making assumptions?

Regards, JEff
Point #3 on the previous link

Suppose I do not want to spend the extra $15, what could happen?

If you are asked to show proof of driving eligibility, the potential fines or bond charges could be costly, and may be required in local currency. The $15 permit charge is a small amount to pay for the security a permit provides through identification.

And from the AA link:

USA (Florida) compulsory IDP – 1 January 2013

A law introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requires all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid licence. If stopped, law enforcement has the options of:
Arresting the driver and taking them to jail
Or giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance

Both of these are money making devices far in excess of the fee for the IDP.

Last edited by Bink; Feb 14th 2013 at 4:18 am.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Oh interesting. I was stopped before 1 jan 2013. Now I have a FL licence anyway. Will tell my dad, who will be visiting, about this. Thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:35 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I yield.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bink
Point #3 on the previous link

Suppose I do not want to spend the extra $15, what could happen?

If you are asked to show proof of driving eligibility, the potential fines or bond charges could be costly, and may be required in local currency. The $15 permit charge is a small amount to pay for the security a permit provides through identification.

And from the AA link:

USA (Florida) compulsory IDP – 1 January 2013

A law introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requires all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence.

Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid licence. If stopped, law enforcement has the options of:
Arresting the driver and taking them to jail
Or giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance

Both of these are money making devices far in excess of the fee for the IDP.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I heard about this yesterday. It hasn't been thought through very well. The idea was to help cops who were being presented with foreign licenses that were not in English. However, they should have thought about an exemption for licenses that are in English. For example, about 3 million Canadians vacation in Florida each year and they are not going to want to purchase an IDP that is valid for 1 year. This was a dumb move. Apparently even the staff at the major car rental agencies don't know about the new law.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

I thought it was just for licenses that weren't in English?

I doubt they are doing it to earn money, they earn enough catching everyone who doesn't stop properly at stop signs. TBH the tourists are better drivers than the locals
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:06 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Apparently even the staff at the major car rental agencies don't know about the new law.
Interesting -- my reaction when I read Ray's post was that it might be at the rental agencies that this would be "policed" with the companies not renting to someone who can't produce the international permit.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:39 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
OK, I yield.

Regards, JEff
It's an interesting one though as I really wonder how they'll police it. Unless they convince the rental companies to check for it I just can't see the point in it. It's not like they can see that you don't have an IDP as you're driving down the road.

Unless they fine the rental companies for not checking, the rental companies aren't going to give two hoots if someone has an IDP or not if they have a valid foriegn license. It's only likely to lose them business.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:49 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think Wp hit on it in post #20 - the purpose is so that when police officers stop someone from a country where the language is not English, or worse the written language doesn't use the Roman alphabet, the officer will have a chance of knowing whether or not the person's drivers license is really a drivers license.

Regards, JEff

It's an interesting one though as I really wonder how they'll police it. Unless they convince the rental companies to check for it I just can't see the point in it. It's not like they can see that you don't have an IDP as you're driving down the road.

Unless they fine the rental companies for not checking, the rental companies aren't going to give two hoots if someone has an IDP or not if they have a valid foriegn license. It's only likely to lose them business.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I also wonder whether this is a legal move by Florida. I thought that IDPs were governed by some international treaty, which would be the remit of the federal government.
Looks like my supposition is correct and that this may be illegal:

UPDATE: According to CTV News, law enforcement officials will not be enforcing the new licensing rule due to the fact that it may violate Geneva conventions on road traffic.
680 News is also reporting that the law will be repealed this spring, citing Prior Smith, a radio personality with the program “Canada Calling”.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02...n_2686709.html

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 14th 2013 at 7:04 am.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else think this just sounds like a way for Florida to make more money?!
Of course it is. It's easy for cops to spot a rental and chances are, it'll be a Brit or Canadian, so it's a easy ticket.

They were talking about this in the Canadian forums a couple days ago.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:26 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Looks like my supposition is correct and that this may be illegal:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02...n_2686709.html
You nailed it

http://www.flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm

Florida strikes again
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Brilliant stuff! I just told my dad to get one, now I will tell him not to worry... lol.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
You nailed it

http://www.flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm

Florida strikes again
Are those people in Florida stupid? isn't it normal to give legislation a quick check-over before introducing it and passing it into law.. you know, to make sure it makes sense etc.?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Are those people in Florida stupid? isn't it normal to give legislation a quick check-over before introducing it and passing it into law.. you know, to make sure it makes sense etc.?
Maybe it was meant to be for international gun permits.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:39 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This is on the F&CO web site. http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-.../united-states

The State of Florida has suspended enforcement of a recently introduced driving law requiring non-resident drivers to be in possession of an International Driving Permit and a UK driving licence. Following the change, a valid UK driving licence, or licence issued by another foreign government or US State, is the only requirement for driving a car in Florida.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 14th 2013 at 9:40 am. Reason: added link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.