Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FOREIGN BANK ACCOUNTS

FOREIGN BANK ACCOUNTS

Old Apr 14th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Brodders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FOREIGN BANK ACCOUNTS

I am a USC but have resided outside the US almost all my life. I recently got all my tax returns up to date when I found out that I was supposed to submit returns. I noticed on the part dealing with interest income that one needs to submit annual reports to the Treasury if you have a foreign bank account with a value in excess of $10,000.

Does anyone know whether this also applies to US citizens who live abroad and whether one therefore needs to declare a normal cheque or savings account if the balance is over that amount?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FOREIGN BANK ACCOUNTS

Originally Posted by Brodders

Does anyone know whether this also applies to US citizens who live abroad and whether one therefore needs to declare a normal cheque or savings account if the balance is over that amount?
Not sure about the living abroad bit, we are in the US. But we had to include our UK cheque and savings account on the form this year.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not sure about the living abroad bit, we are in the US. But we had to include our UK cheque and savings account on the form this year.
I live in the UK, my wife is USC and I am LPR. We had an accountant do our return this year and he made us send that info to the treasury. He said that it's really important and there are big fines for not doing it.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
there are big fines for not doing it.
Our CPA said the fines were $5000 a day
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough

This is a pretty useful article about the reporting requirements.

http://taxes.about.com/od/preparingyourtaxes/a/TDF90221.htm

You must fill out Treasury Department Form 90-22.1 every year if you own, or have an interest in, any foreign bank accounts.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f90221.pdf

I only found out about it this year from reading this site, and have £70K that I need to move over to the US. Now that I have received the interest on the account I'm going to submit the forms retrospectively for the 2005-2008 period that I have been resident here, but had accounts in the UK, with a letter explaining that I didn't know about the forms until Jan 09.

I've paid tax on them in the UK, as my banks wouldn't accept an R-85 form with a foreign address. Next time I'm home I'll sort that out, bah.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I know 'someone' who forgot all about this. What's the deadline date for reporting the previous year's amounts?

This someone has well in excess of £10k in a UK current account.

Errmm.....
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:31 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I know 'someone' who forgot all about this. What's the deadline date for reporting the previous year's amounts?

This someone has well in excess of £10k in a UK current account.

Errmm.....
i seem to recall the deadline for this is June or July, so dont panic just yet if "someone" didnt file in April!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:19 am
Account Closed

pooks is an unknown quantity at this point

The deadline is 30th June.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pooks
The deadline is 30th June.
Yup, 30th June.

Here's the form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f90221.pdf