Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ford explorer...

Ford explorer...

Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:09 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ford explorer...

I am checking out a 98 ford explorer, but I am not sure about something, I flipped the bonnet (hood) and I noticed that there was hardly any fluid in the top up expansion tank (next to the washer tank), although there is plenty of coolant under the rad cap...

My question is (help me out here Pulaski)...should there be coolant in the expansion tank or is it just for excess coolant to flow into ????

I need to know pronto tonto please....thank youp!

I can't find a forum regarding this problem, I'm hoping we have some car pro's out there.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:22 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ford explorer...

Originally posted by Yosser
I am checking out a 98 ford explorer, but I am not sure about something, I flipped the bonnet (hood) and I noticed that there was hardly any fluid in the top up expansion tank (next to the washer tank), although there is plenty of coolant under the rad cap...

My question is (help me out here Pulaski)...should there be coolant in the expansion tank or is it just for excess coolant to flow into ????

I can't find a forum regarding this problem, I'm hoping we have some car pro's out there.
Don't know if this helps....
I have a 96 Explorer and everytime I take it for an oil change, all the coolant has gone from the reservoir and needs to be topped up.
Hmmm, it's due for a change again, I'll go and have a looksee.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has a 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer but she is out in it so I cant tell, but if it is expected to have coolant in it, it will have a max and min fill line on the expansion tank. If there isnt any marking indicating level requirements then it's fine.

Rob
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:26 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Don't know if this helps....
I have a 96 Explorer and everytime I take it for an oil change, all the coolant has gone from the reservoir and needs to be topped up.
Hmmm, it's due for a change again, I'll go and have a looksee.

Thanks LOTL...

The last company I worked for had a Ford 150 with exactly the same problem as you described, so I was wondering if its normal for fords explorers/150's to do this.

Thank you for checking

Yosser.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:28 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by robclews
My wife has a 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer but she is out in it so I cant tell, but if it is expected to have coolant in it, it will have a max and min fill line on the expansion tank. If there isnt any marking indicating level requirements then it's fine.

Rob
It has a line very near the bottom of the expansion tank, one person told me its just for excess coolant to shoot into if it needs it, but all the other fords i owned in the U.K had a max and a min line for coolant...

Its all very confusing, for f-wits like me
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:45 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's pretty much empty again, so I guess I'd best get to Jiffy Lube soon.
In the manual it says:
If the engine coolant has not been checked for a long period of time, the engine coolant reservoir may eventually empty. If the engine coolant reservoir empties, check the engine coolant level in the radiator.
So it must be a back up for it?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:52 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Yep, it's pretty much empty again, so I guess I'd best get to Jiffy Lube soon.
In the manual it says:
If the engine coolant has not been checked for a long period of time, the engine coolant reservoir may eventually empty. If the engine coolant reservoir empties, check the engine coolant level in the radiator.
So it must be a back up for it?
Yep, I just read that too in the manual, there's plenty of coolant in the actual radiator, so I think you right it must be for excess coolant.

How do you like you explorer, have you had any problems with it?

I checked also the oil dipstick and if the water was going into the head, then it would be all miky like....but the oil is blacker than....well lets not go there shall we
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok , I just called my stepson at work, he is a qualified Ford auto tech for a big Ford dealers near here. He said.......... 'the expansion chamber is a means for the coolant to escape in times of trouble, it should act as a reservoir for coolant so should contain a level of this'......' because it has none in it, does not indicate a problem, if this were the case then the level inside the radiator cap would also be low, run the vehicle until the engine is warm and check for coolant leaks or weeping marks around the hoses and on the engine block under the cycinder heads'.

Explorers are not known for coolant issues other than the ususal hose problems that occur with wear, he also said that 97 onwards are more reliable that before that date, but a well maintained one (check for service records ) should be just fine.

Rob
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:59 pm
my arm aches

I like it for the most part, although it has a bit of a wobble to it these days. Have tried to get it fixed, had tyres rotated, replaced and balanced to no effect. Will just have to put up with it as I don't want to fork out any more cash, just for the mechanics to try something out which "might" work. Everything else works fine and have had no other probs.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 10:00 pm
Never right in the head!

A big "thank you" guys for the info,

I only have a few more hours to decide, so let the haggling begin , now if theres one thing that Yosser is "pro" at....its getting car salesmen down to the lowest possible price...I will let you know tomorrow what the outcome was....

(don't worry I am as tight as a mackerals arse when it comes to spending money.....I shall not be beat )
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

I have a 98 Explorer and have not had a problem with it until I moved into the neighborhood I am in now with shitty streets. Had a quote to have the ball joints replaced (3 out of 4) last week and it is going to cost $670. True to fashion, it is only 1 month out of warranty.

Try and get an AWD if you can, they ride a lot somoother than a 4WD.

Cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Yosser, just saw your message.

It looks like you have already got the info you need - look for max/min lines. I have no direct experience of Explorers, but cars I have had in the past will sometimes lose a fair bit of coolant in a day or two, and yet when topped up lose no more for months, so it isn't necessarily a concern. Do have a look at the inside of the oil filler cap and see if there is any sign of an emulsion that would indicate that water has got into the oil - meaning a failed gasket.

I've never worked out how AWD differs from 4WD, unless you have a vehicle with more than four wheels. I guess that the advice from Suebo relates to the 2002 and 2003 model Explorers that have all-round independent suspension, therefore a much better ride, but they are obviously going to cost you a good bit more than a '98 model.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:16 pm
Never right in the head!

Well...the price war is still going on with regards to the explorer, maybe you guy's n girls can tell me if its a deal or not.

Its a 1998 sport explorer, 66,000 miles, one lady owner (I couldn't find any service records), a car fax showed 4 items all of which was Ford call backs, trival stuff really.

It is mint condition inside, No rattles or noises, just one tyre that needs changing, the paint work on the bonnet needs a good polish but thats about it, it drives very well, doesn't pull etc etc.

They were asking $6900....for it, I got him down to $5400 that includes T&T...

what do you think, bargain or not?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

There should be coolant in it. Almost all of the time, the radiator should not draw from the reserve coolant and it should not usually need to be topped up (unless you're driving through a desert). If you have to keep filling up the empty reserve then obviously there is a problem. Look for hairline cracks in the radiator since they are plastic these days. When revving the engine (up to a good 4000rpm at least), look for the radiator to spurt/trickle coolant out of a hairline crack. The radiator fan may also blow it up onto the bonnet/hood underside or it may pool and drip down. Check the hoses.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Well to me that is one heck of a bargain, cars must be cheaper where you are. I paid $17000 2 years ago with 30000 on the clock. I say go for it!! I hope to heck that I get more than that when I sell mine.

Pulaski, I was refering to the 1998 AWD v4WD. I drove several 4WD's and as soon as I got in the AWD, I was sold. Heaps of difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.