Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Football online!!!!

Wikiposts

Football online!!!!

Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice
Unhappy Football online!!!!

Has anyone got any websites that I can listen to English football. All the ones I used to listen to have stopped foreign broadcasting - London DAB, Five Live, Talksport, 105.4 etc... Any help would be grately appreciated. I do miss watching Gary Linekar and Des Lynam on MOD - better than the FSC's presenters.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 2:49 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football online!!!!

Interesting question because the problem is, they are all clamping down on live sports broadcasts over the net.

I did read there is some technology that would help you. You would need a British friend with an internet connection to help. You would need to borrow some upload band-width from them but because it's only audio, it should be relatively small. they would plug a "radio" into their computer sound input port and leave it tuned onto the channel you want. A $5 radio would work.

Then I think what happens is you run the software (I need to research or need help from this board) that would run on their machine and capture the feed and convert, on the fly to MP3 or someother format if I remember and there machine would broadcast that feed to you in the USA. They might have to open up a port on their firewall but it's not hard to do that.

This might sound overkill and there maybe better solutions out there now but I am sure this simple approach is out there. If it was a "digitial" radio on their computer, they you might even be able to control it remotely. and have full radio access like we were talking about on the slingbox thread (but for AUDIO).

Something simailr I saw would allow you to play over the internet, any music stored on your home computer (MP3's etc,). Effectively making your home machine an intenret music station. Again like the slingbox but without a special box.

if you get this working then you have the perfect solution... and I'm up for the gadget challange..

heck thinking about it, just but a cheap $100 old PC in the UK and sit it on their network with a cheap radio and listen to it there. Cheap being - get them to change channels

Let me go look... Anyone else ?????
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could listen to 5 live through pod cast? BBC are pretty big on that.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Teach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really niceTeach3r is just really nice

Originally Posted by nethead
Maybe you could listen to 5 live through pod cast? BBC are pretty big on that.
podcast??? This doesnt show live games - unless ive searched wrong? BUt tx for suggestion

Last edited by Teach3r; Nov 6th 2005 at 3:17 am.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teach3r
podcast??? This doesnt show live games - unless ive searched wrong? BUt tx for suggestion
See here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadtrial/
We've been listening to The Today show this week.

Annette
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

MOD you can d/load from a variety of torrent sites...

As for radio, can't really help you....could always try a proxy server, but to be honest, they will be a bit shite unless you use a commercial proxy server as you wouldn't get enough bandwidth otherwise.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:37 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.fbtz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
MOD you can d/load from a variety of torrent sites...

As for radio, can't really help you....could always try a proxy server, but to be honest, they will be a bit shite unless you use a commercial proxy server as you wouldn't get enough bandwidth otherwise.
Bob, can you give a list of torrent sites than run MOD... I expect others woyuld also find it useful if someone could give a blow by blow discription of exactly how to d/load the whole thing from start to finish, just for the complete computer illiterate amongst us, myself especially.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 11:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Bob, can you give a list of torrent sites than run MOD... I expect others woyuld also find it useful if someone could give a blow by blow discription of exactly how to d/load the whole thing from start to finish, just for the complete computer illiterate amongst us, myself especially.
UKNova- http://www.uknova.com/browse.php?sea...t=0&incldead=1

and while the page is open, http://www.mininova.org/

And the gist of the torrent...i've done that loads of times already...and there's an faq on most torrent sites.

But anyway, the whole things works by d/loading a .torrent file, that file is opened by a torrent client, the client program then knows where to get what and how.

Good client prog to use is Azureus- http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ Get the Safepeer plugin for it as well, in the plugin section, it'll help block the nasties that'll try and see what your getting, the government, MPAA, RIAA etc....might want to get Peer Guardian too, does a more extensive job- http://phoenixlabs.org/

If you ain't in the US, you don't need to bother with it, but we are, so should.

Next step, get either a media player that'll play all the files, or get the codecs to play the video files, if you just want to use windows media player or your dvd software etc. Go to http://www.filehippo.com/

Get the K-Lite Codec pack, it's the best and least likely to mess you up. If you just want a media player, VLC has everything included, so it's pretty easy...you'll find it in the media section of the hippo, just click more.

There's more stuff you could get, but that's going beyond just watching tv shows, so I won't get into it here, but all you need is at the hippo-Daemon Tools is handy too.

http://www.bitenova.org/
http://www2.digitaldistractions.org:8080/torrents.php
http://www.newnova.org/list_news.html
http://www.torrentspy.com/directory.asp

Don't open those last two at work, they might have the odd dodgy advert

Karma greatly recieved because no doubt i'll be heading off to the hot place after all this

Last edited by Bob; Nov 6th 2005 at 11:33 am.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

For radio, there is no way around the Radio 5 Live blackout unless as has been said someone rebroadcasts it for you.

Proxy will not work because you can not get it in the UK either.

I pay though my Club web site for the local radio commentary, and that gives you access to other matches if you want.

TV, well Fox Soccer and Setlanta.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, for radio feeds check out...
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/

It won't help with blocked streams but it may give you some alternate sites. Talksport often do unofficial broadcasts which consist of 2 blokes commentating off the TV pictures - not great, but better than nothing.
Also sometimes the bbc forgets to block the regional stations so if say Everton are playing checkout radio merseyside (GLR are particularly good at forgetting to hit the block switch).
Often fans will post a link to a live feed on chatrooms - bigsoccer.com is a good one.

if you want live pictures google pplive, download the software and you're off. Watched the utd/chelsea game on it yesterday and pictures were great and you'll soon get used to the chinese commentary.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Sitting huddled around a computer listening to UK soccer.......I kinda feel like my grandparents did in the 1940's listening to the war reports huddled around the wireless.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:07 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Sitting huddled around a computer listening to UK soccer.......I kinda feel like my grandparents did in the 1940's listening to the war reports huddled around the wireless.
PMSL, You are thinking of the resistance fighters in occupied lands. We were allowed to have radios on loud, we just had to maintain blackout, not quiet. Or were you thinking of the crystal sets from way earlier. Such a pity, it makes a wonderful picture for the imagination.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
if you want live pictures google pplive, download the software and you're off. Watched the utd/chelsea game on it yesterday and pictures were great and you'll soon get used to the chinese commentary.
that the new version of coolstreaming?
Old Nov 7th 2005, 5:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
PMSL, You are thinking of the resistance fighters in occupied lands. We were allowed to have radios on loud, we just had to maintain blackout, not quiet. Or were you thinking of the crystal sets from way earlier. Such a pity, it makes a wonderful picture for the imagination.
I was thinking more of how I have to listen instead of watch as they did back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.