Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Foodie thread...just for fun

Foodie thread...just for fun

Old May 9th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Foodie thread...just for fun

We were talking with the kids at the dinner table last night about the different foods they're likely to eat and how meals in the USA might be different.
The kids were talking about pop tarts. I mentioned waffles, pancakes, muffins for breakfast, whereas we usually eat crumpets, English muffins and jam, marmite and Nutella. Three of us love Wholeearth peanut butter, anything peanuts but my daughter has an allergy to them. Winter will always include porridge.
For lunch we'll usually eat a sandwich thin and a bag of crisps.
Evening meals are often sausages and mash, cottage or shepherd pie, fish cakes, chilli, chicken kievs, the Indian curry and rice or Chinese stir fry and simple pasta in all its various guises. I try to make sure there are green veggies in there somewhere. In summer it's salad, salad, salad...
The kids eat desserts, but we don't.

So how do you think our diet is likely to differ once we're in the States?
Old May 9th 2017, 5:58 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foodie thread...just for fun

Not much much, unless you want it to. Your evening meals sound a lot like ours, except I have never persuaded my wife and daughter to eat my homemade curry. My wife eat's porridge oats for breakfast. We don't eat pancakes or muffins for breakfast at home, ever, but my daughter likes a waffle or pancake if we eat breakfast out. ..... My wife does most of the cooking and she's American; it may or may not be significant that she's Southern.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 9th 2017 at 6:01 pm.
Old May 9th 2017, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

May depend on where you are headed, and your budget.

Where I live, there's an amazing variety of top-quality grocery stores selling all manner of fresh, organic fruit/veg, great breads, great meats/fish, cheeses, etc. But I hear from some folks on this forum that their choices are abysmal. I've been away from UK for 35+ years and don't go back much, so I can't exactly comment on prices, but again I hear from others on here that the 'good stuff' is not cheap. If you are living on a tight budget, this may be a factor. Food is one of my passions so I don't care how much it costs if it is good.

We have two 'Whole Foods' Markets within 4 miles, a 'Sprouts' market within 4 miles, and two 'independent' high-end grocery stores (Diablo Foods and Lunardi's) also within 4 miles. Even the local Safeway has stepped up their game due to the local competition. We also have a couple of Trader Joe's close by but we don't find the need to go there much.

If you are in a generally affluent, cosmopolitan area you should do fine. And don't rule out the 'ethnic' stores; we don't have to travel far to find really good Asian (which tends to mean 'Chinese/Vietnamese' here) grocery stores, and also good Hispanic (Mexican) stores, selling good fresh stuff cheap. (What you know of as 'Indian' tends to be referred to as 'South East Asian' over here).

When I left UK, the grocery store situation was atrocious, but I understand that things have improved vastly, with 'farm shops', local organic stuff, etc readily available, etc. So both sides of the pond have stepped up the game, and if you are lucky you'll find what you need!
Old May 9th 2017, 7:31 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It probably won't change too much.

Waffles and pancakes are great for breakfast, if you have time. We only eat them on Sunday because I get up for work at 3.30 am during the week and at 5.00 am on Saturday. I'm not doing pancakes and waffles at that ungodly hour! Incidentally, you'll probably find that you are up earlier over here than at home. School starts earlier and many work days start earlier. I start work at 5.30 am. It's taken a lot of adjustment to eat my evening meal at 4.30 pm. In the U.K. I used to eat at 8 pm.

I don't eat anywhere near as much pasta and rice as I did at home. I used to buy a sack of basmati rice from an Indian grocery shop for about 7 or 8 quid. It's significantly more here and I can't face American rice. Fresh pasta is also much more expensive here although I should get back into making my own. We are in Washington state so salmon is plentiful and cheap here. And apples. Never seen so many apples in all my life.
Old May 9th 2017, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post
... basmati rice (is) significantly more here and I can't face American rice. ...
Don't you have access to Asian rice? we love the rice we get from 'Ranch 99', a chain of Chinese operated grocery stores. I understand that it's not Basmati, which I also enjoy (but find overpowering for some dishes), but it's not 'Uncle Ben's' either

The salmon must be fantastic up there ... we eat a lot of it down here but you must be really spoiled! I grill mine on a cedar plank ...
Old May 10th 2017, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

A large portion of my diet has changed because I've gone from eating alone to eating with someone else. It has involved many more dinners out than I used to do in England.

Some southern things I enjoy are chicken and waffles, biscuits, country ham.

I've also got interested in slow cooker meals - like homemade soup or even BBQ.

When (when!) I get my house I can get a smoker and grill for even more fun.
Old May 10th 2017, 1:27 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Having grown up in Cornwall, I really, really miss the occasional Oggie (Cornish Pastie).

So, I was thrilled to stumble upon the following during a recent visit to Phoenix, AZ:

Cornish Pasty Co.

IMHO, the Oggies are absolutely authentic. Excellent European beers available too.

Worth the visit if you're in the Phoenix area.
Old May 10th 2017, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 View Post
It probably won't change too much.

Waffles and pancakes are great for breakfast, if you have time. We only eat them on Sunday because I get up for work at 3.30 am during the week and at 5.00 am on Saturday. I'm not doing pancakes and waffles at that ungodly hour! Incidentally, you'll probably find that you are up earlier over here than at home. School starts earlier and many work days start earlier. I start work at 5.30 am. It's taken a lot of adjustment to eat my evening meal at 4.30 pm. In the U.K. I used to eat at 8 pm.

I don't eat anywhere near as much pasta and rice as I did at home. I used to buy a sack of basmati rice from an Indian grocery shop for about 7 or 8 quid. It's significantly more here and I can't face American rice. Fresh pasta is also much more expensive here although I should get back into making my own. We are in Washington state so salmon is plentiful and cheap here. And apples. Never seen so many apples in all my life.
What's wrong with American rice? Carolina rice is fine. The only thing I can't find is short-grain rice for rice pudding. Even the NYC English stores don't carry it. I live near Indian stores in NJ so have access to excellent Basmati. You have to pay to have decent food.
Old May 10th 2017, 4:31 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer View Post
What's wrong with American rice? .....
I was wondering the same thing myself. I have had several bags of basmati rice but recently switched to a US rice and I can tell very little difference.
.... Carolina rice is fine. ....
Carolina is just a brand/packer, and some Carolina rice comes from Thailand (jasmine rice), and India and Pakistan (basmati rice).

Last edited by Pulaski; May 10th 2017 at 4:37 pm.
Old May 10th 2017, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Cami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond repute

Our diet has not changed much since arriving - we have always mostly eaten home cooked and everything is available. We have a StarMarket, a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's all in walking distance of the house. Whole Foods is very expensive but occasionally we'll buy certain things there and for my gluten free needs they do have a lot on offer. Trader Joe's is fine - a bit more expensive than your every day supermarket but more affordable than WF. Starmarket is where we go most frequently, they have most everything.

I find that shopping for food is definitely a lot more expensive (and I lived in London before!) but eating out is cheaper. If I splurge and make steak from Whole Foods and a couple of sides we pay more for that than we would in a restaurant (obvs not in a super high range restaurant but still).

In London I found it easier to find Brunch places I liked than here - but Cambridge doesn't have the breakfast places I had eaten at on trips to California and Las Vegas either. No IHOP or Big Boy or whatever they are all called. New England also doesn't do enormous portions like Las Vegas either. Probably good, cause I would be morbidly obese by now.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I was wondering the same thing myself. I have had several bags of basmati rice but recently switched to a US rice and I can tell very little difference.

Carolina is just a brand/packer, and some Carolina rice comes from Thailand (jasmine rice), and India and Pakistan (basmati rice).
My G/F is Filipino and a serious rice-eater from birth. She loves Jasmine rice from Thailand. She also loves the (more sticky) rice served in Japanese restaurants, and also appreciates (but does not love) basmati rice. They are all different. Basmati rice is very substantial, and quite 'nutty' in flavor, and quite heavy. It's great for eating with (strong) Indian food, but not so great for eating with Chinese or Filipino foods (in our opinion ... it's all a matter of taste).

Other than flavored/processed stuff like 'Uncle Ben's', I really am not sure what 'American' rice is.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cami123 View Post
Our diet has not changed much since arriving - we have always mostly eaten home cooked and everything is available. We have a StarMarket, a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's all in walking distance of the house. Whole Foods is very expensive but occasionally we'll buy certain things there and for my gluten free needs they do have a lot on offer. Trader Joe's is fine - a bit more expensive than your every day supermarket but more affordable than WF. Starmarket is where we go most frequently, they have most everything.

I find that shopping for food is definitely a lot more expensive (and I lived in London before!) but eating out is cheaper. If I splurge and make steak from Whole Foods and a couple of sides we pay more for that than we would in a restaurant (obvs not in a super high range restaurant but still).

In London I found it easier to find Brunch places I liked than here - but Cambridge doesn't have the breakfast places I had eaten at on trips to California and Las Vegas either. No IHOP or Big Boy or whatever they are all called. New England also doesn't do enormous portions like Las Vegas either. Probably good, cause I would be morbidly obese by now.
Just a cursory glance at Yelp, I found: Brookline Lunch, Massachusetts Diner, Andy's Diner and Veggie Galaxy- all located in Cambridge and all open for bk'fast. That was only page one. About ten pages followed. All get pretty good reviews. Cambridge is a college town full of hungry teenagers and professors!
Old May 10th 2017, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
My G/F is Filipino and a serious rice-eater from birth. She loves Jasmine rice from Thailand. She also loves the (more sticky) rice served in Japanese restaurants, and also appreciates (but does not love) basmati rice. They are all different. Basmati rice is very substantial, and quite 'nutty' in flavor, and quite heavy. It's great for eating with (strong) Indian food, but not so great for eating with Chinese or Filipino foods (in our opinion ... it's all a matter of taste).

Other than flavored/processed stuff like 'Uncle Ben's', I really am not sure what 'American' rice is.
Probably American-owned. While you can buy regular long grain and medium grain Uncle Ben's, most of it is now parboiled rice for quick cooking and not good.
Old May 10th 2017, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Cami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Just a cursory glance at Yelp, I found: Brookline Lunch, Massachusetts Diner, Andy's Diner and Veggie Galaxy- all located in Cambridge and all open for bk'fast. That was only page one. About ten pages followed. All get pretty good reviews. Cambridge is a college town full of hungry teenagers and professors!
I am not saying they don't have brunch - just saying I don't like it as much as I did the places back home (or the diner types I had encountered on holidays). We have gone to 5 brunch places and so far none of them have really been that great.
Old May 10th 2017, 9:22 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Originally Posted by Cami123 View Post
.... We have gone to 5 brunch places and so far none of them have really been that great.
How so? What didn't you like, .... and what would have made them better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.