Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food shopping - hints and tips?

Food shopping - hints and tips?

Old May 15th 2016, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food shopping - hints and tips?

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Your tone, like one or two others on this forum, isn't helpful. You know nothing about me and I'm pretty sure you have no desire to change that, so I respectively ask you, not for the first time, to drop the chip on your shoulder and learn to respect those who disagree with you. My experiences of the Unites States are just as extensive, if not more so, than a great deal of individuals who post on this forum, just because you've been posting yours longer, you don't have carte blanche to tell me to basically shut up
You insist on thrusting your views on what is right and wrong, and can't take criticism. You show no empathy for anyone else's situation.

Whatever your experience and however valuable it might be, you are, with the greatest of respect, a complete arsehole.
Old May 15th 2016, 3:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We are all here. We all have different stories, different experiences and different lives.

The one thing we all have in common is we made this move and when someone new to the forum asks a simple question and wants some sensible advice then maybe we could just be a little bit sensitive to their needs, show some compassion and help by answering their questions.

What we need is love and unity in our expat community
Old May 15th 2016, 1:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
We are all here. We all have different stories, different experiences and different lives.

The one thing we all have in common is we made this move and when someone new to the forum asks a simple question and wants some sensible advice then maybe we could just be a little bit sensitive to their needs, show some compassion and help by answering their questions.

What we need is love and unity in our expat community
And cake.
Old May 15th 2016, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
And cake.
And lots of ice cream
Old May 15th 2016, 2:22 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, back to shopping. I get what the OP is talking about and I'm American. I grew up in an artsy-fartsy area in New England where rare apple varietals, hand made cheese and fresh bread made that morning were the norm. When I moved out of that area, I was somewhat shocked to find how terrible most mainstream US supermarkets are: a thin veneer af good, wholesome actually food surrounding a sea of processed crap. My tips:
1. Stay on the "racetrack" around the outside of supermarkets and avoid the middle aisles. All of the processed crap is in the middle.
2. Good produce is hard to find but it is generally available somewhere. Search around until you find a local source that's good. Don't settle for the crap in Publix. Also, shop seasonally: don't expect to find good oranges in July and don't expect to find good apples in February. Further note on apples: try Pink Lady, Jazz and Opal.
3. Good bread: tough one. This is sometimes easy to find (I live in Chicago, it's somewhat easy to get good bread here) and some times impossible. I've basically given up on bread.
4. Good cheese: There's actually lots of good cheese in the US but again, you have to search for it. Trader Joes and Whole Foods are good places to start. Ignore the pre-sliced garbage in stores. Cheese from Vermont, Oregon and California can be particularly good.
5. Costco/Sams have many excellent items but you have to sort through chaff to find them. Avoid most produce at Costco as it's generally pretty old.
6. Fresh Market has pretty good meat and produce. Give them a try.
7. Florida is unfortunately a bit of a food desert compared to many other parts of the US. It's possible to get good food down there, but more difficult than some other places in the US. Sorry.
Old May 15th 2016, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
3. Good bread: tough one. This is sometimes easy to find (I live in Chicago, it's somewhat easy to get good bread here) and some times impossible. I've basically given up on bread.
What a shame.

The bread machine I bought nearly two years ago has just had parts replaced, its seen so much use. We'll have made 300 pounds of flour into bread by the end of the year - we've even provided it to events at work and school, and its been greeted with rapture by our American friends - nothing special, just real. The recipe is one my grandmother left us, the liquid is milk+water.

So, a bread machine, a giant bag od flour from Costco (less than 1/5 th of the supermarket price) and bread wise you're good to go !

We've made fairly authentic bread for Banh Mi, according to a Vietnamese friend, so some imagination and you can do anything.

The look of delight on my manager's face at a real, warm hot-cross bun at Easter, I'll not forget.
Old May 15th 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Another bread machine fan here. My everyday loaf is a roughly 50/50 blend of plain white bread flour and this delicious sunflower and millet variety from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

I lob all sorts of stuff into the base recipe - the liquid can be milk or whey from strained yogurt or orange juice; honey or maple syrup as the sweetener; eggs if I'm going for more of a brioche-y approach. And then additions of whatever: cheese, bacon, spices, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate. I've also had a sourdough starter on the go before, and used that.

On days where the timings work out, I pull it out after the dough mix/rise phase and make rolls rather than a loaf, as the kids like that.

Bread machine still isn't as good as proper crunchy artisan bread with a thick, chewy crust (which I make occasionally) but it's 1000x better than supermarket pap for daily sandwiches.
Old May 15th 2016, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Anyway, back to shopping. I get what the OP is talking about and I'm American. I grew up in an artsy-fartsy area in New England where rare apple varietals, hand made cheese and fresh bread made that morning were the norm. When I moved out of that area, I was somewhat shocked to find how terrible most mainstream US supermarkets are: a thin veneer af good, wholesome actually food surrounding a sea of processed crap. My tips:
1. Stay on the "racetrack" around the outside of supermarkets and avoid the middle aisles. All of the processed crap is in the middle.
2. Good produce is hard to find but it is generally available somewhere. Search around until you find a local source that's good. Don't settle for the crap in Publix. Also, shop seasonally: don't expect to find good oranges in July and don't expect to find good apples in February. Further note on apples: try Pink Lady, Jazz and Opal.
4. Good cheese: There's actually lots of good cheese in the US but again, you have to search for it. Trader Joes and Whole Foods are good places to start. Ignore the pre-sliced garbage in stores. Cheese from Vermont, Oregon and California can be particularly good.
5. Costco/Sams have many excellent items but you have to sort through chaff to find them. Avoid most produce at Costco as it's generally pretty old.
6. Fresh Market has pretty good meat and produce. Give them a try.
7. Florida is unfortunately a bit of a food desert compared to many other parts of the US. It's possible to get good food down there, but more difficult than some other places in the US. Sorry.
...I feel the love returning
Old May 15th 2016, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Where do you live

New York pizza is amazing or come to Chicago and try proper Chicago deep dish or as we Chicagoans call it, "pie". Certainly beats Pizza Hut
I'll admit, I did have some deep dish pizza last time I was in Chicago and it was wonderful. I wouldn't want to eat it more than once a week, but still...
Old May 16th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Marmite!, Ralphs sell Marmite!
Old Aug 18th 2016, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone been able to find frozen free flow mince / ground beef in the US?
Old Aug 18th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Has anyone been able to find frozen free flow mince / ground beef in the US?
Try the several Butcher shops around you for their dog food cuts, freshly ground mixtures, buffalo, beef, venison et

http://www.jacobsmuhlensmeats.com/

Beef, Steak, Meats in Beaverton, Veal, Grass Fed Beef and more

503-533-0624 | The Meating Place

Good luck.

Last edited by Oregon4now; Aug 18th 2016 at 8:55 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It comes frozen in lumps. I am not sure how they create freeflow mince, but its frozen in like pellet form so you can defrost as much as you want. We were actually after organic pork mince, but a lot of mince in grocery store is previously frozen.

maybe freeflow isn't the right term as it seems to primarily bring back pet food products
Old Aug 18th 2016, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

So you are looking for Organic ground pork for human consumption . Again I would visit one of those fine Butcher shops that are local to you, It seems all the meats & Poultry are sourced locally. I am 100% sure you will find locally sourced organic meats and I am sure they have fresh ground pork that you can package yourself into smaller batches.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I want to frozen, but not in a block. They only freeze in 1 lb blocks, sometimes I just want a few ounces. The bags of mince in the UK you could pour out as much as you needed. I guess I could use you suggestion and freeze in 1/2 lb blocks. It would just take time and work to weigh, package and then freeze.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.