Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food shopping - hints and tips?

Food shopping - hints and tips?

Old May 11th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food shopping - hints and tips?

We move to a foreign country then discover that the food is different, the packaging is different, they don't sell certain (English) foods. What a surprise! I don't get it.
Old May 11th 2016, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
Can somebody tell me exactly what I'd need to say to a butcher for them to cut me some english-style bacon? We have a large market here where they will do any cut that you ask for.
They cut the meat differently. I asked an English butcher and he told me to ask for the sirloin equivalent of the pig.
Old May 11th 2016, 6:16 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Can somebody tell me exactly what I'd need to say to a butcher for them to cut me some english-style bacon? We have a large market here where they will do any cut that you ask for.
Here you go:

The cut, as I mentioned, is basically a loin roast with a bit of the belly attached. Ideally it should have the skin still on, but this is not entirely necessary. Because pigs are butchered differently here than in the UK, my strategy was to find a butcher who sold thick-cut bone-in pork chops and simply ask them to leave me a whole 2-pound piece of the loin they are normally cut from (but with the bone removed). Pork chops with the bone removed but all the fat untrimmed (not the boring pale medallions of meat with no fat) is essentially the cut we're after.
A Guide to Bacon Styles, and How to Make Proper British Rashers | The Paupered Chef
Old May 11th 2016, 6:32 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
We move to a foreign country then discover that the food is different, the packaging is different, they don't sell certain (English) foods. What a surprise! I don't get it.
No-one's saying that things should be the same, simply that it can be overwhelming when you first move here, particularly if you're the one who's responsible for feeding the family and you can't easily source the ingredients that you're familiar with. No need to make the OP feel bad about that - I went through much the same adjustment period and often felt like bursting into tears in the grocery store.

11 years later and I now know that saran wrap is useless, Best Foods mayo is actually Hellmann's, coffee cake doesn't taste of coffee, Mars Bars are Milky Ways, and to never buy PF Chang's frozen meals. It's a learning curve
Old May 11th 2016, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

ButtonandLoops is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much to everyone for your helpful replies!

I can't tell you how much it helps knowing other people initially felt the same stress I'm having, I did almost have a fit of tears on my first shop in the peanut butter aisle as there were so many types to choose from, which seems ridiculous when I say it out loud to people. My other half, native Floridian, just really doesn't understand the issues I'm having.

There are some great suggestions here do I'll be sure to try them out. Thank you so much again!
Old May 11th 2016, 7:09 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Another tip that I forgot to mention - if the pre-packaged items are not sealed and are sold by weight, you can usually remove some from the package. Check with the produce people at the store: they're generally pretty helpful. I've had them remove a leek from a pack of 2 because I only wanted to buy one, and remove carrots from a packaged 'bunch' etc.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Another tip that I forgot to mention - if the pre-packaged items are not sealed and are sold by weight, you can usually remove some from the package. Check with the produce people at the store: they're generally pretty helpful. I've had them remove a leek from a pack of 2 because I only wanted to buy one, and remove carrots from a packaged 'bunch' etc.
A good point -- they will do that at my local stores (for the items that they have packaged themselves). They will also cut a large roast in half (or whatever size I specify) if the only ones they have are too big for my needs.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I used to find food shopping really really stressful when I first got here. I was feeding a family of five, I had small kids, everything was different, there were too many pizzas and too few quiches, I had no idea which products tasted good and which were overpriced crap, and I was dealing with a new currency.

But now I'm just about used to it, nearly 9 years on. The ridiculous amount of choice for some products still drives me crazy, and sometimes I just go to Trader Joes to shop because they only tend to have one type of each product rather than a million different types and brands.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your best off bringing in a picture of what it looks like than trying to explain it
Old May 11th 2016, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We ask for the cut they use to make Porchetta. just about perfect.
Old May 12th 2016, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ButtonandLoops
I can't tell you how much it helps knowing other people initially felt the same stress I'm having, I did almost have a fit of tears on my first shop in the peanut butter aisle as there were so many types to choose from, which seems ridiculous when I say it out loud to people. My other half, native Floridian, just really doesn't understand the issues I'm having!
it will get better once you're used to it. I found I started to do more cooking - things like mince pies, hot cross buns, quiches had to be made from scratch. Some things were more successful than others!

If you do baking, the flour is different too - gluten and grade. It's manageable but your recipes won't necessarily directly translate, you will need to experiment a bit. I like to think my cooking skills improved while I was there.

I had return culture shock when I came back and went into sainsburys and felt like I wanted to hug the whole shop...
Old May 12th 2016, 10:58 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
there were too many pizzas.
This part is hard to imagine.
Old May 12th 2016, 2:13 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I had return culture shock when I came back and went into sainsburys and felt like I wanted to hug the whole shop...
We are taking a trip to the UK this summer; first time back there in about 8 years. My wife has as many food stores on the itinerary as there are 'proper' sites that the kids should experience.
Old May 12th 2016, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That is a little harsh and not very welcoming... I thought it was a valid question.

Last edited by Ash UK/US; May 12th 2016 at 5:23 pm.
Old May 12th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ButtonandLoops
Hello, this may seem like a really dumb question, so I apologise now if it is, but does anyone have any advice for food shopping when it comes to fruits and veg as well as meat?

I landed in Florida two months ago and the three shopping trips I've taken so far have resulted in almost total mental breakdowns over why I can't seem to pick my own carrots and mushrooms (they seem to come pre-packaged), why fruits and veg seems to go bad so very quickly here and why everyone seems so freaked out about antibiotics in meats - I've never heard of such a thing back home and don't know if I'm just plain ignorant or if it isn't a problem in the UK?

Can someone give me some advice on if I'm just shopping in the wrong place (Publix) or any tips on buying food (or what not to buy?) over here so I don't break down and cry in the store?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have Fresh Thyme in Florida? If so they are great for fruit and veg... I second what many other have said about Costco and Trader Joes. You can't beat the prices on cheese from Costco either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.