British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Food Shopping in CA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/food-shopping-ca-768325/)

Kisin Aug 14th 2012 4:34 pm

Food Shopping in CA

Hi guys! :starsmile:

Where would you recomend us to get reasonable price food in the Bay Area? I love HEB! Is there any HEB in the Bay Area???

Thank you guys!!!

tartian Aug 14th 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Food Shopping in CA

Fresh n Easy has a small section at normal prices including BACON. It's the only place I've found in the 12 years I've lived here. The other places are well overpriced.

Bob Aug 14th 2012 6:07 pm

Welcome to BE you two.

Though have a search on BE, this subject is almost a weekly topic and there are loads of decent suggestions to get you started :)

Bootle Aug 14th 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kisin (Post 10227174)
Hi guys! :starsmile:

Where would you recomend us to get reasonable price food in the Bay Area? I love HEB! Is there any HEB in the Bay Area???

Thank you guys!!!

Berkeley Bowl is good - but it depends on what you mean by reasonably priced. There is also a Trader Joes just down the road in Oakland. You can also drop in and get a deep dish at Zachary's.

Poppy girl Aug 14th 2012 7:18 pm

Whole Foods
Mollie Stones
Lunardis
Rainbow
Raleys
Draegers
Andronicos

All of the above can be pricey but also when they get a Ad or TPR on they can be very cheap, I would suggest going online and subscribing to the online weekly price deals ;)

wild1127 Aug 14th 2012 11:23 pm

Safeway & Trader Joe's

SalopianFunk Aug 15th 2012 7:27 am

Safeway and Trader Joe's are pretty much where I go, and I'm a broke student most of the time, if that's conveys the responsibility of price. Smart and Final is pretty cheap, too, but they generally sell stuff in bulk. Also Food Maxx is good on prices.

Ryan NI Aug 15th 2012 7:36 am

Originally Posted by tartian (Post 10227298)
Fresh n Easy has a small section at normal prices including BACON. It's the only place I've found in the 12 years I've lived here. The other places are well overpriced.

Real BACON??!!!!

I can't live with out it. I've had to send the mother in law down to the local Meat Market with a picture of the cut so they can supply me with my daily supplement!!

SalopianFunk Aug 15th 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Ryan NI (Post 10228073)
Real BACON??!!!!

I can't live with out it. I've had to send the mother in law down to the local Meat Market with a picture of the cut so they can supply me with my daily supplement!!

Real Bacon. I wish they would sell it cured, but the fact that it come's from the back, and isn't 95% fat is a victory all unto itself. They also sell chocolate that doesn't taste like American filth, too.

Poppy girl Aug 15th 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk (Post 10228057)
Safeway and Trader Joe's are pretty much where I go, and I'm a broke student most of the time, if that's conveys the responsibility of price. Smart and Final is pretty cheap, too, but they generally sell stuff in bulk. Also Food Maxx is good on prices.

Modesto would be Winco for your best bet!!

Jscl Aug 16th 2012 5:30 am

Trader Joe's for most things. There are lots of locations to choose from on the West side of the South Bay, not sure about East or the peninsula.

Local Farmer's markets are good for veg if there's one near you.

Otherwise Lucky is reasonable. Not as good as stores back home but okay.

Poppy girl Aug 16th 2012 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Jscl (Post 10229882)
Trader Joe's for most things. There are lots of locations to choose from on the West side of the South Bay, not sure about East or the peninsula.

Local Farmer's markets are good for veg if there's one near you.

Otherwise Lucky is reasonable. Not as good as stores back home but okay.

Lucky is Savemart so if the OP see's a Savemart same difference ;)

Jay.california Aug 21st 2012 11:52 pm

Trader joes is great for most stuff. I use target for junk and branded products.

What's lucky like? I've never been to one

Jscl Aug 22nd 2012 12:10 am

Lucky's just like Safeway really. The ones here used to be Albertson's. I don't know why but here the Save-Marts aren't as good as the Luckys. I know they're part of the same chain and have interchangeable offers a lot of the time, but the ones here don't have a good selection like Lucky. You just have to find one that suits your needs I suppose.

Poppy girl Aug 22nd 2012 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Jscl (Post 10239400)
Lucky's just like Safeway really. The ones here used to be Albertson's. I don't know why but here the Save-Marts aren't as good as the Luckys. I know they're part of the same chain and have interchangeable offers a lot of the time, but the ones here don't have a good selection like Lucky. You just have to find one that suits your needs I suppose.

Lucky is the higher end chain name for Savemart and the stores are placed only in certain geograpical areas, but they all pull from the same distribuiton center and carry the same products, except Luckys have a few more quailty items and price themselves higher, plus in general the stores have been revamped or are newer.................they are clients of mine ;)