British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   food safety course questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/food-safety-course-questions-549156/)

shazza777 Jul 15th 2008 1:44 pm

food safety course questions

Can anyone tell me of a web site that i can take the food safety course and the TABC course? i found one called TAKE IT TODAY, but i don't know if it recognised here, they say they are, but who can you trust these days! I have asked around here, even the manager at work and he doesn't have a clue either :eek: surprise! surprise!

another bloody yank Jul 15th 2008 4:26 pm

Re: food safety course questions

Originally Posted by shazza777 (Post 6573299)
Can anyone tell me of a web site that i can take the food safety course and the TABC course? i found one called TAKE IT TODAY, but i don't know if it recognised here, they say they are, but who can you trust these days! I have asked around here, even the manager at work and he doesn't have a clue either :eek: surprise! surprise!

When I was a teenager I worked behind the seafood/deli counter at a supermarket. I had to wear a hairnet because of some law even though my hair was only 1/4inch long and the net made me look like a Chia Pet. That's all I know about food safety. Sorry.:D

Neathborn Jul 15th 2008 4:43 pm

I would call your local Health Department and TABC to check if the online courses qualify. I have a food handler card for Virginia and had to take a short class at the school where I work. All it involved was a trainer from the local health department coming to discuss food safety rules and the showing of a short video. I would imagine it would be easy to learn the same stuff online.

MsElui Jul 15th 2008 4:49 pm

what did the other employees do?

HoosierDaddy Jul 15th 2008 5:17 pm

Can't you ask your manger's manager or your manager's manager's manager? I say take it right to the top if no-one can answer your questions! :thumbsup:

shazza777 Jul 15th 2008 7:45 pm

I totaly give upon this one, i rang Texas health department thinking that they would surely help :blink: thought wrong! they passed me from department to department after the 7th department, i put the phone down :curse:
Everyone else at work went downtown to do their exam, can't drive at the minute becasue the transmition has gone on the car, that means i will have to pay $80 in total on taxi fares. I am only working as a bloody cashier in a cheap and dirty supermaket in the middle of the hood for crying out loud! :curse::curse:

I have found a few more sites, when i go into work later, i will give them the info i have and take it from there.

SagenOnion Jul 15th 2008 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6573896)
When I was a teenager I worked behind the seafood/deli counter at a supermarket. I had to wear a hairnet because of some law even though my hair was only 1/4inch long and the net made me look like a Chia Pet. That's all I know about food safety. Sorry.:D

If you were still there today you would be wearing a ski mask :D

NC Penguin Jul 15th 2008 10:25 pm

I'm supposed to take a ServSafe course next month for work. It's two or three days long with an end of course test. Should I pass, it'll help my restaurant's sanitation rating.

I'd be quite worried if supervisors didn't know about which providers to use for food safety.:ohmy:

Do you work in a restaurant too?

NC Penguin Jul 15th 2008 10:28 pm

Here's the link to the page to find the nearest ServSafe course to you:
http://www.servsafe.com/TrainingSearch.aspx

another bloody yank Jul 16th 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 6574602)
If you were still there today you would be wearing a ski mask :D

If I were still there today I'd be wearing a straightjacket.

shazza777 Jul 17th 2008 4:07 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 6575110)
Here's the link to the page to find the nearest ServSafe course to you:
http://www.servsafe.com/TrainingSearch.aspx

What a waste of time this is, they told me that i needed a TABC course too, i can't take that because you need an SS number and i haven't got one yet, so that leaves me with no job now :( well i supposed i have learned a few things through all of this.