Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

food, diet and shopping for groceries

food, diet and shopping for groceries

Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:12 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: food, diet and shopping for groceries

Originally Posted by honeymommy

Had a curry last night by the way, all home made with yummy fresh spices, nan bread and popadoms. mango chutney and lime pickle on the side.
Could only eat a little though as had to have my gall bladder removed on Thursday... Ya think it's the poor UK diet gave me gallstones...

HM!!!! So good to see ya, but am sorry to hear about your health problems. Hopefully, you'll be up and at it quickly enough
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
HM!!!! So good to see ya, but am sorry to hear about your health problems. Hopefully, you'll be up and at it quickly enough

LOL Thats waht Mr HM is hoping too.. Hahahahahaha

Just wish I could sleep. It's 3.30 am now and aching even after 100mg of tramadol... Maybe I should eat some left over curry????? :scared:
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Piranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to beholdPiranha Tales is a splendid one to behold

Just wish I could sleep. It's 3.30 am now and aching even after 100mg of tramadol... Maybe I should eat some left over curry????? :scared:[/QUOTE]

I know you only "know" me from my very first post, but poor you - I can't believe you are still up! Hope you get better soon.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Maybe I am just a terrible snob and english people are just the same..
what do you think?
<<snip>>
I do miss English food but thats mainly nostalgia. Eating out here is way better than the UK for food quality and price. That might be because Seattle has great dining out but DC and all the other cities I have visited in the US were much the same.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with you too. The US is far too big to make sweeping statements like the above.

Eating out in the US is a different experience to the UK because for one thing, the US appears to have far more buffets and when it's all you can eat for a fixed price, the quality of food can suffer.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:36 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
<<snip>>
I do miss English food but thats mainly nostalgia. Eating out here is way better than the UK for food quality and price. That might be because Seattle has great dining out but DC and all the other cities I have visited in the US were much the same.
I have to disagree with you too. The US is far too big to make sweeping statements like the above.

Eating out in the US is a different experience to the UK because for one thing, the US appears to have far more buffets and when it's all you can eat for a fixed price, the quality of food can suffer.

NC Penguin[/QUOTE]

I dont claim to have eaten all over the US. I have eaten in NY, DC, NV, MD, VI, FL, AZ, IL, WA, WI, MI . I would have thought that was fairly representative..? Of course I know nothing about TX (Houston) - but TruBrit says it is very expensive compared to the UK. She also points out that there isn't Pub Food here, but as I rarely found that to be a golden dining experience no loss there. Ploughman's lunch and soggy Fish and chips wore off as a novelty years ago.

I dont eat at buffets. That is trough eating. It could be done anywhere around the world and with much the same result - Very mediocre.

The UK does have good restaurants I dont deny it, but many of the mid priced restaurants suck frankly. They are highly priced for pretty pedestrian fare. If you can afford the better restaurants in the UK , you will get a good meal - but at a much higher cost than you would in the US - IME - yours may be different. Wine is heavily taxed and is ridiculously priced in the UK (in restaurants), a quick hop over the channel would tell you that much.
I'm sure your experience is much wider than mine, which is why you question my experience.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with you kate. Eating out is pretty good. As long as you avoid the crappy chains like applebees or whatever. Having said that the middle of the road chain restaurants tend to be better than their english counterparts. Whereas Pizza express might represent the top end of chains in england here it wouldnt really be a big deal here.
Conversely the american view of english food is very stereotypical and not representative. I guess when they come to UK they try to find 'traditional' english food and probably end up in awful places like angus steak house or some nasty kebab shop to eat fish and chips.
interestingly gastro pubs have just started to appear in LA but I dont think people realise that they are an english thing. It would seem to be a great idea to export over here.

NC Penguin
I dont claim to have eaten all over the US. I have eaten in NY, DC, NV, MD, VI, FL, AZ, IL, WA, WI, MI . I would have thought that was fairly representative..? Of course I know nothing about TX (Houston) - but TruBrit says it is very expensive compared to the UK. She also points out that there isn't Pub Food here, but as I rarely found that to be a golden dining experience no loss there. Ploughman's lunch and soggy Fish and chips wore off as a novelty years ago.

I dont eat at buffets. That is trough eating. It could be done anywhere around the world and with much the same result - Very mediocre.

The UK does have good restaurants I dont deny it, but many of the mid priced restaurants suck frankly. They are highly priced for pretty pedestrian fare. If you can afford the better restaurants in the UK , you will get a good meal - but at a much higher cost than you would in the US - IME - yours may be different. Wine is heavily taxed and is ridiculously priced in the UK (in restaurants), a quick hop over the channel would tell you that much.
I'm sure your experience is much wider than mine, which is why you question my experience.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:47 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

I have alot more disposable income in the Us so can eat at nicer places and so perhaps I am like others on this thread (a little out of touch)

so I try to when compare poorer peoples diets here with poorer people in England's diet it is world's apart.

Here- poor people eat JUNK and they don't bother with veg etc (why is American cheese orange??) :scared: . Organic food is limited in walmart- and only in the super centers. I have to go all over town to find organic baby food for example and then it is limited choice. My friends don't even know why I bother.

Back home- every supermarket (even asda) offers organic, gluton free ranges, great vegetarian options, low sodium selections and more people are aware of the reasons for eating these things. I'd shop at Tesco and even though I was a skint student could still afford more than Junk.

Totally miss tescos finest!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

yesterday I went out to lunch and I ordered chicken and a baked potato. When my meal arrived the chef had accidentally also put vegetables on my plate so the waitress pointed out about 5 times as she put my plate down in front of me. He's new she kept saying he doesnt know. Lucky me, I say anyway as I happily tucked into the veg I soon discovered it was all frozen veg..oh well.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
yesterday I went out to lunch and I ordered chicken and a baked potato. When my meal arrived the chef had accidentally also put vegetables on my plate so the waitress pointed out about 5 times as she put my plate down in front of me. He's new she kept saying he doesnt know. Lucky me, I say anyway as I happily tucked into the veg I soon discovered it was all frozen veg..oh well.
lol never mind chicken and spud it'll be curry for you soon...lucky you
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol never mind chicken and spud it'll be curry for you soon...lucky you
very true. yesterday I was reading my husband a really funny article written by Jeremy Clarkson about the US and he was scathing about the fact that all you can eat here is cheese and the only vegetables you see are growing in fields. Anyway as I was reading it out I suddenly remembered my lunch episode and I couldnt stop laughing
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hayley
I have alot more disposable income in the Us so can eat at nicer places and so perhaps I am like others on this thread (a little out of touch)

so I try to when compare poorer peoples diets here with poorer people in England's diet it is world's apart.

Here- poor people eat JUNK and they don't bother with veg etc (why is American cheese orange??) :scared: . Organic food is limited in walmart- and only in the super centers. I have to go all over town to find organic baby food for example and then it is limited choice. My friends don't even know why I bother.

Back home- every supermarket (even asda) offers organic, gluton free ranges, great vegetarian options, low sodium selections and more people are aware of the reasons for eating these things. I'd shop at Tesco and even though I was a skint student could still afford more than Junk.

Totally miss tescos finest!!
Why not make your baby's food/veg at home then. Just steam some organic veggies, and puree. You can make a batch and keep it in the fridge. Pour some onto ice cube trays and freeze. Enough for a week's worth.

With fruit it is even easier. Just blend apples/pears, etc. without cooking them, or whatever fruit you'd be giving the little tyke and also keep in the fridge. Add some organic plain yogurt to some of it. Delicious, quick and hardly any effort needed. You'll save yourself a bundle that you can spend on his/her clothing
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:37 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure your experience is much wider than mine, which is why you question my experience.
ROFL That is classic and its what I shall be telling my chinese-buffet loving husband next time he wants a round of MSG for dinner
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:41 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
ROFL That is classic and its what I shall be telling my chinese-buffet loving husband next time he wants a round of MSG for dinner

HeHe ...snort snort!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah

hey what's a chinese-buffet infact what's a buffet ...not been to one of those..
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hey what's a chinese-buffet infact what's a buffet ...not been to one of those..
It is where the obese people eat. If you're not obese, you're not allowed in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.