Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food Conversion

Food Conversion

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:59 am
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough
Wink Food Conversion

I've decided to do a bit of cooking and on looking for recipes have found some interesting ones which are American and require cups of this and that - does anyone know of a chart off the web that lists the conversion into grams? I've looked and you have to enter 1 cup at a time, I just want to print off a chart rather than looking it up each time.

Ta
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Food Conversion

I don't know of one but why don't you just measure in cups instead? I bought one of those little sets of plastic cups that measure 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1. I like this system a lot better than using scales it is much faster and easier, plus you can just throw the cups in the dishwasher and not have to clean your scales.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

Found a couple of charts converting cups to grams here:

http://www.cuisinecuisine.com/FoodConversions.htm

and here:
http://www.truestarhealth.com/member...s12SL10P1.html

but wouldn't recommend converting cups to grams when following an American recipe because it is so faffy - eg. 1/2 cup is 113.4 grams.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oshel
I've decided to do a bit of cooking and on looking for recipes have found some interesting ones which are American and require cups of this and that - does anyone know of a chart off the web that lists the conversion into grams? I've looked and you have to enter 1 cup at a time, I just want to print off a chart rather than looking it up each time.

Ta
I take Betty Crockers cake mixes back to England for friends and have told them that 1/2 cup = 4oz whether it's weight or liquid. Not sure about grams but scales and jugs usually show both imperial and metric.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:14 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is a cup of flour for example weighs less than a cup of sugar.

I definitely agree with yorkshirelass and get yourself a set of plastic cups. You can pick them up for not much more than a dollar and they are so much quicker than using scales.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Food Conversion

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
I don't know of one but why don't you just measure in cups instead? I bought one of those little sets of plastic cups that measure 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1. I like this system a lot better than using scales it is much faster and easier, plus you can just throw the cups in the dishwasher and not have to clean your scales.
If you look under the original poster's name you will see that he/she is living in Lincolnshire, England and therefore probably unable to buy any jugs or plastic beakers with US cup measurements easily!

I actually have some British weighing scales and Imperial/metric jugs for when I use British cookery books, Australian cup measures when I use Aussie cookery books and US cup measures for American recipes....(US and Australian cup sizes are different and no I'm not talking about bra sizes....)
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:33 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I use both systems. When using American recipes I use the jug/cup method, and when using my old British recipes, a set of scales. I don't think it's really worth converting cup measurements into grams - too fiddly! Even in the UK you can buy the American measures, if not locally then at www.lakelandlimited.com

Edit: to add link to US measures http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...0AAAD9DgKIX2up
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
The problem is a cup of flour for example weighs less than a cup of sugar.
On the measuring jugs I brought with me from England there are different ounce markers for flour and sugar. She could use an english measuring jug, instead of scales, which I'm sure she already has as everyone I know in England has at least one.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
Search in this forum. I'm sure this question came up a few months back.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
I use both systems. When using American recipes I use the jug/cup method, and when using my old British recipes, a set of scales. I don't think it's really worth converting cup measurements into grams - too fiddly! Even in the UK you can buy the American measures, if not locally then at www.lakelandlimited.com

Edit: to add link to US measures http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...0AAAD9DgKIX2up

Totally agree. I bought the jug from lakeland. Saves me a lot of hassle, and easy cleanup, which is a blessing with all my kids... Hahahaha..
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Totally agree. I bought the jug from lakeland. Saves me a lot of hassle, and easy cleanup, which is a blessing with all my kids... Hahahaha..

I'm always surprised when people say that using measuring cups is easier than scales. I mean, what the heck is a 'cup' of flour? You could pack it tight or loose, which can make a lot of difference. And having to check that each cup is level before you add it seems more complicated to me.

I have a digital scale which is completely flat. I can place the mixing bowl on top and reset it to zero for each new ingredient to be added. Bowl goes into the dishwasher - easy-peasy!

I never bother with US recipes unless they also give metric or imperial equivalents. I'm a great fan of Delia's - her recipes simply never fail! http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/selections/
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:26 pm
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Food Conversion

The reason I ask and yes I am blonde is because my cup sizes are different, e.g. I have a blue and white cup that is not the same size as the brown cup so which cup do I use and if someone could just tell me one cup is 5 gms that would make me feel so much better and probably not waste so much food!!!

Thank you everyone for your help - just to let you know I am going to attempt to make banana bread. Last time I made this was at school and from making it in the afternoon by the time I got it home litterally a couple of hours later it had fur coat on it - I have NO idea how the hell that happended so as you can see the cups are only the small problem at this stage!!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I made this was at school and from making it in the afternoon by the time I got it home litterally a couple of hours later it had fur coat on it - I have NO idea how the hell that happended so as you can see the cups are only the small problem at this stage!!

You'll be wanting this then - no need for special cups or anything, and it is both foolproof and yummy:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/b...f,1090,RC.html

HTH

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason I ask is because my cup sizes are different,
this is an issue the wife has
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:53 pm
Floribean in wait

Originally Posted by Eskimo
this is an issue the wife has
Not too much, I hope - she must be quite lopsidded!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.