Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by David C
IrnBru, Smarties due to non aproved ingredients and such like.
I've bought IrnBru in a store in California and Smarties here in Texas, and they were deffo imported.

Now Tangfastics are my dream food but cost a load to have shipped over. They are a Haribo product and when I researched the matter indeed, there is an FDA-banned ingredient in Tangfastics but not in nearly every other Haribo sweetie. I even wrote Haribo to beseech them, to see if we could work out a little recipe change that wouldn't hurt the taste but would pass the FDA muster.... but not suprisingly I got a reply from a robot.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:21 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Murray
I found Pattaks Chicken Korma suace and some other Pattaks indian sauces, popadoms and spices at the World Market in Houston (FM1960)
You can get these and more at the Central Market here in Austin -- there's one in Houston on Westheimer. Cheapest I've found McVities Penguins and PG Tips.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paint
....as for beef products, we can still get British beef gravy powders, but I don't think they can stock the Fray Bentos tinned steak & kidney pies and puddings anymore. The whole beef/mad cow thing is a total mess-up. I went to donate blood after 911 and was told that I couldn't be a donor because I was British and might have Mad Cow Disease....
Stupid that ain't it really...so what about any other pre-packaged foods you can/can't get out of curiosity?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paint
The whole beef/mad cow thing is a total mess-up. I went to donate blood after 911 and was told that I couldn't be a donor because I was British and might have Mad Cow Disease....

Paint.
I wanted to do cord donation when I had my daughter... they didn't want that either.

Ash
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:50 am
Lapine Member

What about the thousands of American tourists who've indulged in British beef? Should we all be banned from blood donation as well? Or is it the frequency of exposure?

I guess we must have a surplus of blood donors to turn away everyone from Britain. However, cord blood donation is very specific to an individual and the parents ought to have the right to donate -- it's only used in situations where the benefits would far outweigh the extremely low risk of its containing CMJ prions.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

David C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
That's weird...I've seen smarties around some place over here...
You will see such things from time to time Bob. One of my wholesalers was able to get me Smarties and Fruit Pastells (also banned) for a while until the FDA checked their facilities. These items are then confiscated and destroyed from what the wholesaler tells me. Apparently IrnBru is legally available only in the bottled version specially brewed for export for the USA or from Canada.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David C
Apparently IrnBru is legally available only in the bottled version specially brewed for export for the USA or from Canada.
I was going to say, I was sure I'd seen it before. Also, I've bought Bovril stock cubes, can't say where I got them over here. The place that we go to was telling us that they couldn't sell Walker's Crisps because there was a ban on them at the moment or some such thing. So, instead they sell some kind of crisps from Ireland (can't think of the name at the moment)
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:11 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Certainly won't ban you but please tell us which country's chocolates you do like...

NC Penguin
Swedish chocolate, I'm afraid. It's typical though, you get used to food in one country and when you move, everything else suddenly tastes like cardboard I DO however like Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles..I'll miss those when I move again

Swedish chocolate \/

-Becs
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
... The place that we go to was telling us that they couldn't sell Walker's Crisps because there was a ban on them at the moment or some such thing. So, instead they sell some kind of crisps from Ireland (can't think of the name at the moment)
That's weird...walkers/lays...same company...
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think my local Domincks supermarket bakes cookies with Smarties in, perhaps they're not "real" Smarties.

I found Heinz tinned spotted dick in my local Cost Plus alongside Ambrosia tinned custard and Golden Syrup I ate the whole lot in one go.

-tom
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT-Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by Becs
Swedish chocolate, I'm afraid. It's typical though, you get used to food in one country and when you move, everything else suddenly tastes like cardboard I DO however like Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles..I'll miss those when I move again

Swedish chocolate \/

-Becs
I'm fond of Anton Berg (Danish) chocolates, especially the marzipan liquer filled chocs. Got my Aunty into those too. I've bought them online when I need a fix.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's weird...walkers/lays...same company...
May be the same company, but its something that is in the Walkers
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:41 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What about the thousands of American tourists who've indulged in British beef? Should we all be banned from blood donation as well? Or is it the frequency of exposure?
This is something that really irritates me. Every couple of months at work they have a fairly aggressive blood donation drive and every time I have to remind them that they won't accept my blood under the current rules. According to the blood donation rules on the American Red Cross website, you can't give blood if you've spent more than three months in Britain or six months anywhere else in Europe since 1980, because of mad cow. And this is despite stuff on the same website which points out that there actually isn't any evidence to suggest that VCJD can actually be transmitted in human blood. The donation restrictions related to mad cow are more stringent than those relating to AIDS transmission via donated blood.

And it's not like America couldn't possibly have its own mad cow problem - they get all smug about not having it here, but really they haven't tested for it in any meaningful comprehensive way, and the same cattle rearing practices that gave rise to it in Europe were used here, banned more recently, and what bans there are aren't rigorously enforced. The cattle/beef lobby in the USA has been so effective in its lobbying against mad cow testing that recently they even managed to prod the FDA into preventing one cattle company from carrying out plans to test every single one of the cattle it processed, rather than the one in every few thousand than is the current norm.

And I've read about studies in the USA that suggest up to 15% of Alzheimers cases in the USA might really be misdiagnosed vCJD.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

May be the same company, but its something that is in the Walkers
Aye, I guess...bit like Walls ice cream and all it's different names...
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:22 am
Just Joined

David C is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to say, I was sure I'd seen it before. Also, I've bought Bovril stock cubes, can't say where I got them over here. The place that we go to was telling us that they couldn't sell Walker's Crisps because there was a ban on them at the moment or some such thing. So, instead they sell some kind of crisps from Ireland (can't think of the name at the moment)
Walkers and Lay's parent company is Pepsico which is why the logo on the pack is essentially identical. Shelf life for the Walkers is a bit of a problem as the UK crisps have far less preservatives than their Lay's counterparts (which also make them taste better). This can be a problem for new niche market players such as myself in turning the Walkers over fast enough. A number of wholesalers stock the Irish crisps called 'Tayto' which, like Walkers, offer different flavors to Lay's but have a longer shelf life than Walkers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.