Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Old Feb 18th 2005, 3:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by Becs
I...uh...please don't ban me, but...I find British chocolate absolutely horrific Sorry guys!

-Becs
Certainly won't ban you but please tell us which country's chocolates you do like...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by Patrick
I am having an excellent day thanks for asking.

I disagree, there is a need to be rude to Bob. Its not this subject but a lot of the subjects or comments he makes. You live in foreign country, you really must allow for that.

Nothing offends me, I think it is you being rude telling people to bugger off, I really dont think it necessary do you. If I cannot comment on Bob's constant astonishment that America is, in fact, not exactly the same as the UK. Then free speech is dead. The fact you think I should bugger off rather than air it is rude.

Bob has to find something to occupy his life, he got intensly boring about 2 months ago and has continued to go downhill from there.

Oh and thanks for not having a sense of humour, I enjoy it when I write things that you really should read and smile (even if there is truth behind it) but instead get so insensed you think I should let myself be sodomised and go away.
*yawn*
but fair points....so we wouldn't be seeing any comments on the pet peeves or adds that make you see red of course will we.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
They're made under license by Hersheys. And they suck. The other give away that they're made by Hershey's are the wrappers that look like they're cheap 1960's reproductions of Cadbury's labels.

Read carefully - if it says 'Made in England' then it's the real thing. Cost Plus carries a lot of the real ones. IMHO the S.A. ones are decent too - might be someone got a bad batch somewhere.
My experience of Cadbury's in Africa is from Uganda and Kenya - so it could well be different from the South African variety. The problem with it (I think) was that the recipe was altered to make it less susceptible to melting - and the result was not far short of chocolate flavoured blue-tack.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 4:48 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick
Heres a ****ing news flash Bob, you are not in the UK. I read your posts and think its about time someone informed you as you really do seem to be oblivious to the fact that you live in another country.
What is your problem, boy?

I agree about the Uncle Bens sweet and sour - I think American consumers would like that. As for over chips, I don't really see any different between them and the over fries over here.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
They're made under license by Hersheys. And they suck. The other give away that they're made by Hershey's are the wrappers that look like they're cheap 1960's reproductions of Cadbury's labels.

Read carefully - if it says 'Made in England' then it's the real thing. Cost Plus carries a lot of the real ones. IMHO the S.A. ones are decent too - might be someone got a bad batch somewhere.
I discovered that the Cadburys Fruit & Nut I buy at Walgreens tastes fab! Never have looked to see where it was made, but it's the real deal! Hard to get tho!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:24 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
This is a British Expats web site, so really we can moan and complain all we like without offending any Americans, because we presume none are really interested in this site, also it does our souls goods to bitch about our favourite stuff that we were brought up with...
I disagree. As one of your friendly neighborhood lurking Yanks (there are probably a lot of us), I find this forum to be one of the most fascinating on the web. To me, it's always interesting to get someone else's perspective on what I take for granted.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I discovered that the Cadburys Fruit & Nut I buy at Walgreens tastes fab! Never have looked to see where it was made, but it's the real deal! Hard to get tho!
Another way to tell is to look at the ingredients list - if it's made in the US they will have used corn syrup, in Europe it'll be glucose syrup. Surprisingly it makes quite a large difference to the taste. I found some imported Toblerone bars - on some the ingredients listed glucose syrup, and on some it listed corn syrup, even though they both stated they were imported from Switzerland. I found out by accident when I bought a bar that didn't taste as good - I check the label everytime now.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Another way to tell is to look at the ingredients list - if it's made in the US they will have used corn syrup, in Europe it'll be glucose syrup....
handy tip...makes sense though, everything has corn syrup over here...more money in corn probably...??
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

For a good article about sugars in American foods and drink, see-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

I try to avoid products containing corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup but it's difficult.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
handy tip...makes sense though, everything has corn syrup over here...more money in corn probably...??
Corn is plentiful in the US and cheaper to process than sugar (cane). Corn syrup may also be more versatile than sugar as an ingredient.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Yup the different ingredients make a huge difference to taste, and unfortunately to certain people's ability to digest....

American cadburies gives me a whopping stomach ache and diarrhoea!

Now being back in the UK.....

I love cadbury's chocolate and could eat loads of it. Unfortunately there is an adverse effect here too....

I become extreemly obese!!!

Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by honeymommy
I love cadbury's chocolate and could eat loads of it. Unfortunately there is an adverse effect here too....
Those yards of fruit and nut you could get at wollies were great, loved then

Oh, while I remember.....spuds being as popular as they are, kind of surprised to hardly see any decent potato bakes, the odd potato gratan in a card board box instead though...
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Those yards of fruit and nut you could get at wollies were great, loved then

Oh, while I remember.....spuds being as popular as they are, kind of surprised to hardly see any decent potato bakes, the odd potato gratan in a card board box instead though...
come on Bob, woolies and big baked potato?
you're not in Oxford now you know.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:20 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For a good article about sugars in American foods and drink, see-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

I try to avoid products containing corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup but it's difficult.

NC Penguin
I read something that high fructose corn syrup was really bad for your body and it promoted excessive weight gain, more so than sugar because there was some molecule in it that tells your liver to store as fat the energy rather than using it.

I bought a crunchie in an English theme bar the other day, cost me two dollars but tasted soooo good.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Manc
come on Bob, woolies and big baked potato?
you're not in Oxford now you know.
hehe

quite the student diet that...those yard of chocs would last a while, and so cheap on sale at start of semesters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.