Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Food brands that are different to the UK?

Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by David C
Apparently IrnBru is legally available only in the bottled version specially brewed for export for the USA or from Canada.
Mine was in a can and made in Glasgae. I wonder what the penalties are for food importers who bring in these highly toxic substances. I'm thinking it might not be much or I can't see how they'd make money given the caprice of the FDA.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:12 am
Just Joined

David C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Mine was in a can and made in Glasgae. I wonder what the penalties are for food importers who bring in these highly toxic substances. I'm thinking it might not be much or I can't see how they'd make money given the caprice of the FDA.
How long ago was it? As I posted in an earlier reply, a well known wholesaler whom I use told me that they could not supply Fruit Pastels for the time being as the FDA had inspected their facilities and confiscated their entire supply, along with a few other things, for destruction. Smarties are the same but one of my suppliers was able to get both of these items for me until just recently, from whom I don't know. The rules appear to change frequently on what goes on or comes off the banned list as you can see by visiting the FDA site www.fda.gov and type in IrnBru in their search engine on the home page. There you will see it was refused due to 'Unsafe Coloring' from March 2004. I think the wholesalers will risk modest supplies otherise they stand to loose a lot!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by David C
How long ago was it? As I posted in an earlier reply, a well known wholesaler whom I use told me that they could not supply Fruit Pastels for the time being as the FDA had inspected their facilities and confiscated their entire supply, along with a few other things, for destruction. Smarties are the same but one of my suppliers was able to get both of these items for me until just recently, from whom I don't know. The rules appear to change frequently on what goes on or comes off the banned list as you can see by visiting the FDA site www.fda.gov and type in IrnBru in their search engine on the home page. There you will see it was refused due to 'Unsafe Coloring' from March 2004. I think the wholesalers will risk modest supplies otherise they stand to loose a lot!
There's a whole list of UK foods here:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/7/ora_oasis_c_gb.html

Included on the list are:

Smarties
Fruit Pastels
Salad cream
Heinz tinned spotted dick

-tom
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:41 pm
delphiman

A lot of those are banned due to "Unsafe Coloring"...erm anyone spot the irony here?

Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Whenever the kids get a craving for Smarties, I hop over to my local health food store and buy them the organic 'm and m's'. Taste very similar to Smarties (they just don't get the pretty box to shake ).
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:00 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
My my, Patrick

This is a British Expats web site, so really we can moan and complain all we like without offending any Americans, because we presume none are really interested in this site, also it does our souls goods to bitch about our favourite stuff that we were brought up with...

........ some of us are only here because of the people we love, OK

PD
Amen....
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 3:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT-Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm fond of Anton Berg (Danish) chocolates, especially the marzipan liquer filled chocs. Got my Aunty into those too. I've bought them online when I need a fix.
Anton Berg shows up in very random places at very random times. Costco will occasionally get a supply from somewhere for a few weeks at a time. We have a discount store here called Big Lots which for some weird reason sometimes has Anton Berg - I'd love to know where they're getting them from.

Anyone looking for the Marabou chocolates should try Ikea.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 4:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT-Re: Food brands that are different to the UK?

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Anton Berg shows up in very random places at very random times. Costco will occasionally get a supply from somewhere for a few weeks at a time. We have a discount store here called Big Lots which for some weird reason sometimes has Anton Berg - I'd love to know where they're getting them from.

Anyone looking for the Marabou chocolates should try Ikea.
I'm a big fan of Costco and the possibility of finding Anton Berg chocs there is a good incentive to renew my membership.

I would never have imagined that Big Lots would ever stock Anton Berg products. I do keep my eyes peeled in stores like Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, Ross and similar but I've not seen the AB chocs I like.

I have seen Marabou in the local drugstores though (CVS, Eckerd)...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by willmore
Cadbury whole nut chocolate bars....are terrible in Canada compared to the ones you can buy in the UK......
Heinz Baked Beans sorry to say my container that is being shipped to the USA is full of Beans and Roses Marmelade so how sad is that but hey Im a mother and the kids want their beans LOL
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 3:27 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delphiman
A lot of those are banned due to "Unsafe Coloring"...erm anyone spot the irony here?
Here's some interesting (and timely) information about colourings:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4286963.stm