Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Follow-up to The Office

Follow-up to The Office

Old Mar 16th 2005, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Follow-up to The Office

Given the success of The Office in the US (and despite the attempt at a re-make) I hope they will broadcast this over here sometime soon!

http://www.itv.com/news/entertainment_1988711.html
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Follow-up to The Office

Yeah, I've been following this for a while now and I really want to see it. It's a great idea and there are going to be a whole bunch of big name guests on it too.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds pretty good...

As for the office remake....really does make you cringe...utter shite that...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:24 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sounds pretty good...

You havent seen the pilot for red dwarf...needless to say it never went beyond that one episode thank God.

...or Fawlty Towers...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:58 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I've seen a bit of it and it seems to be a line-for-line remake of the original - it's pretty much exactly the same dialogue and situations, so is it just the unfamiliar faces and the American accents that you object to? You have to remember that the American version is aimed at people who haven't seen (probably never even heard of) the original. Once you remember that the remake is not even trying to please any British expats who might be watching it makes more sense. Same with BBC America - the reason it's a bit of a disappointment is because it's aimed at the locals not the expats.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
You havent seen the pilot for red dwarf...needless to say it never went beyond that one episode thank God.
actually i have, i d/loaded it a while ago for a laugh...and errr...yeah, scary stuff that...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by elfman
I've seen a bit of it and it seems to be a line-for-line remake of the original - it's pretty much exactly the same dialogue and situations, so is it just the unfamiliar faces and the American accents that you object to? You have to remember that the American version is aimed at people who haven't seen (probably never even heard of) the original. Once you remember that the remake is not even trying to please any British expats who might be watching it makes more sense. Same with BBC America - the reason it's a bit of a disappointment is because it's aimed at the locals not the expats.
what made it shite, although similar...they changed words here and there, so the jokes just didn't work, got the characters down to middle managment USA though...very scary...but just as in coupling, it just didn't work, people were overly pretty, and like the fish joke in coupling was changed about so it wouldn't be so rude, but just didn't make any sense afterwards...
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
what made it shite, although similar...they changed words here and there, so the jokes just didn't work, got the characters down to middle managment USA though...very scary...but just as in coupling, it just didn't work, people were overly pretty, and like the fish joke in coupling was changed about so it wouldn't be so rude, but just didn't make any sense afterwards...
How come you've seen the American version of The Office - it hasn't aired yet?

US OFFICE

Ricky Gervais has had a hand in this one too.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You can/could download the first episode.
It isn't as good as the original, but I don't agree that it is as bad as people are making out. If the whole series follows the episode I saw, it is going to be entertaining and I think should do well. The only downside is "Gareth." Not good casting.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You can/could download the first episode.
It isn't as good as the original, but I don't agree that it is as bad as people are making out. If the whole series follows the episode I saw, it is going to be entertaining and I think should do well. The only downside is "Gareth." Not good casting.
I just watched some snippets from the series and agree about Gareth. but I'll watch the show when it's on if I remember.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
How come you've seen the American version of The Office - it hasn't aired yet?
It was leaked ages ago...
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

And the Ricky hand, it shows he was only in it for the money and couldn't give a toss.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And the Ricky hand, it shows he was only in it for the money and couldn't give a toss.
He always claimed he wasn't acting, just being himself. So taking the money and running is in character, no?
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
He always claimed he wasn't acting, just being himself. So taking the money and running is in character, no?
Nothing wrong with him making money out of it. Good on him.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
Nothing wrong with him making money out of it. Good on him.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not preaching about it. I'm sure I'd do the same. I'd be surprised if America cared about the Office for too long, so why not make the most of it?

Anyone know if anything more than the first two seasons is out on DVD here? (Are there more than two?)

Last edited by AdobePinon; Mar 17th 2005 at 2:36 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.