British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Flying from UK to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/flying-uk-usa-409019/)

dodgykeeper2 Jan 7th 2007 8:01 pm

Re: Flying from UK to USA

We had all our luggage x-rayed last time we arrived in Olardo Sanford airport which had never happened to us before. Although they seemed to overlook the several items of food I had in my case, they did confiscate my dad's cocoa butter shaving cream!?

Richardowen Jan 7th 2007 8:13 pm

As far as airport security is concerned I can tell you that nothing is done at random. Additional checks are put in place due to intelligence information increasing the threat level. There are clearly defined processes in operation here.

I suspect the CIA are all over your Pimms Racket. I can't believe you made it difficult for everyone else just cos it's Pimm's o'clock for you ! ;)

Rich./

Brync Jan 8th 2007 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4124250)
I thought I'd give a 'heads up'.

When I flew from Heathrow last week, they are still very strict on only allowing one bag per person as carry-on baggage before going through security. You can buy what you like afterwards at the duty free shops however.

I had my large handbag and a carrier bag (with Christmas presents that my mum had wrapped which wouldn't fit into my suitcase). I was told to put my handbag into the carrier bag...but my multipack of Walker's French Fries wouldn't fit...had to call my husband back to get those LOL!).

They have those plastic sandwich bags at the desk as you go through security (I was at Terminal 4) to put in gels, toothpaste, contact lens solution etc. so at least you can take small amounts now on departing UK flights.

However......I had a surprise on arriving at Newark. In the three weeks since I'd previously gone through international arrivals they had brought in a new procedure. After collecting luggage off the carousel, the normal procedure is to hand the customs declaration to the customs officer. However....this time a cursory glance was given, the slips handed back and everyone has to line up; there are now X-Ray machines immediately before the exit and *everyone* has to put their checked luggage through it. I was a bit worried.....

I'd ticked 'no food' on the declaration but had Jammie Dodgers, chocolate and a large jar of Bovri (meat product!) in my suitcase. However, I'd also bought two bottles of Pimm's No. 3 Winter at the Duty Free shop and didn't know if I was over the limit....a bit relieved that they weren't x-raying hand baggage LOL!

I got through OK. I don't know what they are looking for....they didn't have any dogs checking the cases (mostly for drugs but I guess also for explosives) when I was going through but I do know that they have them working there from time to time.

So anyone going home for Christmas should take into account that their cases may very well be screened again when arriving back in the States....

I had an embarrassing episode at Little Rock airport when heading back to the U.K last Summer. I discovered to my horror that the brand of Plum jam that I was carrying in my suitcase is the same density as some explosives and gues what happened when my suit case went through the scanner....All that technology and you get your bags checked through by taking the top off your jam dipping a finger in it and licking the jam off as proof. The indignity of walking to the gate beetroot red and with sticky fingers. Jam lovers beware!....lol

dbark Jan 9th 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Brync (Post 4260285)
I had an embarrassing episode at Little Rock airport when heading back to the U.K last Summer. I discovered to my horror that the brand of Plum jam that I was carrying in my suitcase is the same density as some explosives and gues what happened when my suit case went through the scanner....All that technology and you get your bags checked through by taking the top off your jam dipping a finger in it and licking the jam off as proof. The indignity of walking to the gate beetroot red and with sticky fingers. Jam lovers beware!....lol

Hello, fellow LR airport user and AR dweller! We just returned from a trip to the UK, and didn't find too much trouble with additional security measures, as long as you heed the many signs and announcements. What I find weird is the inconsistency. Some airports require you take your shoes off, others don't. Some make you get out all electrical equipment for separate screening, others say just laptops and video cameras. But we got through it all OK. :)

Muswell Hill Jan 10th 2007 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4124588)
Just to clarify: my final destination was Newark, NJ on a non-stop flight from LHR. In the six years I've travelled through Newark I have never had to put my suitcases through an X-Ray machine after collecting them from the carousel at Newark.....however, I did last Thursday.

I've often seen the beagles around the carousels at international arrivals (and I've seen the young Alsations being trained at EWR) but every single passenger from the BA flight *AND* Jerseygirl - the Singapore Airlines flight SQ22 which arrived at the same time had to put their checked baggage into the X-Ray machines at customs to exit the baggage hall. Maybe they are doing this at random but of course it's coming up to the 'holiday season'.

Actually the plane made a very heavy landing in atrocious weather - a few overhead lockers blew open and most of the passengers gasped as the plane touched down and the captain apologised....I was sitting in the emergency exit row and the guy next to me nearly had a panic attack. I was surprised to get all the contents of my case back in one piece...a broken jar of Bovril would have made a right mess LOL!

To avoid agro with Bovril at the airport, i post it to myself surface from the UK and write 'bovril' on the customs form. Never had anyone open it and look inside.

Sentosa Jan 10th 2007 10:35 am

Flew back from Gatwick to the states on Monday, I had a carry on plus a handbag which I had put into my carry on. I was told even though I had the handbag in the carry on I was not allowed to take the handbag on board because it counted as another carry on. I had to empty the contents of the handbag into my carry on and put the empty handbag in my case.

California Dreamin' Jan 10th 2007 3:47 pm

We were in the UK in Oct/Nov, what a nightmare it is travelling anymore. The next time we fly, it's with very little luggage and package.