Reload this Page >

Flying UK to Canada to USA

Flying UK to Canada to USA

Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Annekegx is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Flying UK to Canada to USA

Hi there...

New to the site this morning and was hoping to ask advice.

We are moving to Ohio early next year. The husband will have gone ahead for a few weeks, with the kids and I following early February. Whilst looking at cost effective flights for the children and I, I have found a route which would take me from Gatwick to Toronto and then a connection on to Cleveland.

My question is....how easy is it to get through Canadian customs and through American immigration? The flight's layover in Toronto Pearson would be 2 hours 5 mins (all being well and on time). The flights would be from different terminals which would mean the 5/6min transfer on the monorail train, but would I have enough time for me, 2 under-6yr kids, several bags and a couple of car seats, to get through the two lots of relevant customs/immigration controls and on to a plane to Cleveland?

There is a second flight out of Pearson later that evening, but my layover would then be 6 hours...and the thought of entertaining the kids for that long in an airport horrifies me.

All the websites for the airports are stating long delays on getting through US immigration, and the one based at Pearson could add 2-3 hours to the transfer.

I did consider hiring a car at that point and driving the five hours around Lake Erie, but I don't know the area and roads, and also have concerns about potential weather conditions, so would rather fly the last bit.

Does anyone have any experience of transferring through Canada on their way to the US please?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying UK to Canada to USA

I would say 2 hours is cutting it very very close. You will have to collect bags, recheck them in, security again then American immigration. If it was me I'd take the 6 hour stop.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Annekegx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would say 2 hours is cutting it very very close. You will have to collect bags, recheck them in, security again then American immigration. If it was me I'd take the 6 hour stop.
thank you :-)
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Agreed; but one thing worth considering (though perhaps not with the kids, mind you) is that if the airline will allow you to book end to end on one ticket, they will ensure you get to your final destination. Should you miss your 2 hours, it's likely, though not guaranteed (subject to availability on said flight), you'd be moved onto the next flight 6 hours later free of charge.

All being said though; would I want to have to deal with the airline desk AND the kids? Probably not.

Choice is yours.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to all the above, you'll (probably) need an ETA to transit.
Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa
Old Oct 25th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Pearson is a 'gateway' airport, by which I mean you go through US customs and immigration right there in Toronto.

The process is just the same as if you were entering directly except that your checked baggage is x-rayed and shown to you on a screen to identify. You don't have to collect and re-check them as suggested above.

However, I do agree that 2 hours is cutting it extremely fine and while not impossible, I would consider it highly improbable that you would make the second flight, especially if you're entering as anything other than a USC!