British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Flying to UK and back with US Greencard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/flying-uk-back-us-greencard-598516/)

Okuda Mar 19th 2009 2:12 am

Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 
Hey all,

Just need a lil bit of advice, as the stipulations to come to the US from the UK have changed since I flew just on my English passport and I'm unsure.

I have my US green card and am flying home with it for a visit on the 1st April for the first time (in 2 years!) before the baby comes. I'm just wondering if I need anything else to fly other than my English passport and my USA green card?

I know for my sister to come here to just visit she has to apply for a visitors visa before she comes that lasts for a year. I'm assuming my green card cancels out the need to do this.

Also coming back to the USA, which form do I fill in on the plane to submit to immigration (And I'm assuming I still have to go to the international line to come in vs the resident line?)

Thanks in advance :)

Elvira Mar 19th 2009 2:21 am

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by Okuda (Post 7395914)
Hey all,

Just need a lil bit of advice, as the stipulations to come to the US from the UK have changed since I flew just on my English passport and I'm unsure.

I have my US green card and am flying home with it for a visit on the 1st April for the first time (in 2 years!) before the baby comes. I'm just wondering if I need anything else to fly other than my English passport and my USA green card?

I know for my sister to come here to just visit she has to apply for a visitors visa before she comes that lasts for a year. I'm assuming my green card cancels out the need to do this.

Also coming back to the USA, which form do I fill in on the plane to submit to immigration (And I'm assuming I still have to go to the international line to come in vs the resident line?)

Thanks in advance :)

You only need your Green Card and valid British passport.

You do not need to fill in an immigration form on the plane - just the customs form.

Whether or not you will be allowed to use the Citizen's line will depend on the airport as the whole system recently changed - you now have to provide fingerprints and have your picture taken...

Voltore Mar 19th 2009 1:53 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 7395938)
Whether or not you will be allowed to use the Citizen's line will depend on the airport as the whole system recently changed - you now have to provide fingerprints and have your picture taken...

I came in through Dulles two days ago, and Green Card holders, like me, could use the Citizen lines. The whole fingerprinting/photo process took less than 30 secs. I thought they would do all fingers, but he just took my two index fingers!

meauxna Mar 19th 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by Okuda (Post 7395914)
(And I'm assuming I still have to go to the international line to come in vs the resident line?)

Look for a line that says Permanent Residents (you); it changes daily at the airports as they balance line loads.

Deedee13 Mar 20th 2009 2:30 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7398862)
Look for a line that says Permanent Residents (you); it changes daily at the airports as they balance line loads.

on the plane fill out the Customs form, one per family with the same surname, and address.

Green Card and UK passport to the citizens and permanent residents line.

Picture will be taken and either 2 index fingers or four fingers right hand.

Get luggage

Go thru customs

Have a great holiday!!

Okuda Mar 20th 2009 4:47 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 
Lovely! Thank you for the answers :)

meauxna Mar 20th 2009 5:25 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7401084)
on the plane fill out the Customs form, one per family with the same surname, and address.

Green Card and UK passport to the citizens and permanent residents line.

Picture will be taken and either 2 index fingers or four fingers right hand.

Get luggage

Go thru customs

Have a great holiday!!

Yes, but are there exits over the wing? ;)

Deedee13 Mar 20th 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7401580)
Yes, but are there exits over the wing? ;)

arrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh DO NOT TOUCH THE EXITS OVER THE WINGS!!

Got to laugh a colleague of mine just blew the slide on the wing the other day. big oops and lots of $$$$s. He was explaining to the exit row people what to do. Normally they say yeah yeah done it loads of times we know what we are doing. The two on that day though wanted a step by step guide of how it works. Well now they know

meauxna Mar 21st 2009 12:24 am

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7402137)
arrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh DO NOT TOUCH THE EXITS OVER THE WINGS!!

Got to laugh a colleague of mine just blew the slide on the wing the other day. big oops and lots of $$$$s. He was explaining to the exit row people what to do. Normally they say yeah yeah done it loads of times we know what we are doing. The two on that day though wanted a step by step guide of how it works. Well now they know

:ohmy: omg, can you imagine?! Well, I guess you can. You should take notes, Deedee, I'll bet you have the best stories. There's a book waiting in there! :lol:

BritishGuy36 Mar 24th 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Flying to UK and back with US Greencard
 

Originally Posted by Okuda (Post 7395914)
I'm assuming I still have to go to the international line to come in vs the resident line?

Look at the signs above the 'lanes'. If it says 'US Residents', then you can use that one. If it says 'US Citizens', then ask the official at the end of the line if you can use it as you have a green card. Otherwise, you're in the long line.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.