Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying out of Dublin??

Flying out of Dublin??

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flying out of Dublin??

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She doesn't need to go through with you... regardless of what you wrote. Believe it or not, you are allowed to change your mind!

Ian
Since he'll be going through immigration control on an immigrant visa, wouldn't she need to either go through with or ahead of him though? I know they'd still be entering the US together but I'm not sure the officer will like the idea of him going through immigration while his wife is still out of the US and not with him. Not that they'd necessarily know of course.

Last edited by JSL8610; Jun 23rd 2012 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Procax
My POE will be in Dublin on the morning of 29th July. My wife wants to do a quick tour round Dublin with our 22month and 1 month old kids while I go through immigration as rightly she doesn't want to have to look after them gate-side for hours before a long flight.

I think she and the kids need to come through with me as on my IR-1 application I wrote that they would be traveling with me.

Thoughts? Experience?
Not sure on the ins and outs of who needs to be with you but I would discourage your wife bringing the kids into Dublin. They would have to get a bus in, which would be a hassle in itself, the traffic is fe-cking mental in dub and then you have the difficulties transporting a toddler and new born around. Not to mention that they would be nothing to interest them anyway. My wife would shoot me for even suggeting she heads into the city.

How long are you due to be in Dublin for? Supposed I should've asked that at the start as this will have a bearing on things but on my 3rd glass of California Zinf so mind not fully functional
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
Since he'll be going through immigration control on an immigrant visa, wouldn't she need to either go through with or ahead of him though?
Y'know... now that you say it, I think you're right. My thinking was that he can certainly go through the line alone... but I'm pretty sure you're right... the USC must either go with him or precede him.

Procax - ignore my earlier comment. She must go through with you or before you.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring
Hello all... I have read several times on here about people going through Dublin to sort out the handing over of the "envelope" to American BC..

Does anyone know anything much about this?? We will be flying from Scotland to Minneapolis.. Can't get a direct flight from any of the Scottish Airports to MSP, and don't want to run the risk of missing a connection flight from another US City if we get held up upon arrival in the US with POE.

So thinking ahead (and I mean like 8 months ahead lol) I am trying to figure out what the easiest and cheapest way is going to be for us to travel. We will be doing this with 2 young children too

So here is what I am thinking... fly from Scotland to Dublin the day before flying Dublin to Chicago then to MSP. (This actually works out cheaper than flying Scotland to MSP via France, Amsterdam, Italy or any of the other countries that keep popping up.) But am wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about what people are talking about in regards to American Border Control in Dublin???
Your options are:

1. Direct flight to MSP from either London Heathrow, Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt (Delta fly these routes). Amsterdam seems to have the most flights per day. So can you fly from Scotland to London or Amsterdam and get a direct connection?

2. If you fly to Dublin, you will be able to do U.S. preclearance there but then you have to fly to somewhere like Atlanta, Chicago or JFK and get a further connection to MSP. So three flights rather than two. You could plan an overnight stay either in Dublin or your U.S. arrival point.

3. Some other routing, if that's cheaper, eg fly to London Heathrow and connect to MSP via Chicago.

Separately - do your children have U.S. passports already, or are they also entering the U.S. with immigrant visas?
Old Jun 24th 2012, 4:26 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The kids are US citizens through your wife?

In immigration-speak, "traveling with" means applying for their immigrant visas at the same time as (or, I believe, within 6 months of) your visa application. As opposed to "following to join", which means that they will be applying for their immigrant visas at some time after you apply for yours.

It does not mean that they will be physically with you when you travel to the USA.

Regards, JEff

I think she and the kids need to come through with me as on my IR-1 application I wrote that they would be traveling with me.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Separately - do your children have U.S. passports already, or are they also entering the U.S. with immigrant visas?
We are looking at option 2. Fly from Edinburgh to Dublin, stay in Dublin over night then the next day Dublin-Chicago-MSP. These seems to be the cheapest way all around. As Aer Lingus do cheap one way tickets. So approx £1800 including connecting flights and hotel.

Headed to US Consulate in Edinburgh on 17th July to get my children's US Passports. Can't wait, will be as happy as the day they were born. lol
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Procax is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I write as a permanent resident in Indiana!

Going through Dublin was a great way to go. The new airport is fantastic and I was the only person in secondary when I handed in the envelope etc. I was through immigration in literally 10 minutes. Appreciate every case/POE is very different. Really nice to get approved before getting on the flight though, especially with a toddler and 4 week old to take care of.

Can also recommend Aer Lingus for value and service. We saved around GBP600 flying a family through Dublin rather than going direct. And I now love the Irish. Friendliest people I have ever met.

It was important for my wife and kids (all USC's) to go through with me if only because our customs form was for the whole family.

One quick question. In secondary, I wasn't asked to fill anything out. Was my social security application included in the DS-230?

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice on this site. Time to check out the credit rating wiki.

Good luck to y'all!

Last edited by Procax; Jul 30th 2012 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

One quick question. In secondary, I wasn't asked to fill anything out. Was my social security application included in the DS-230?
If you ticked the "yes" box to that question on the DS-230, then yes. It doesn't always work, though, so if you don't have your SS card in the mail within a month or so, you'll want to go in person to apply.

Congratulations!

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

congrats procax.

its such a good feeling being in the usa

please look for my another epic day thread.
i applied for an amex card on arrival of my ssn and was approved. its a start to your building a credit history.

once again congrats
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Procax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you ticked the "yes" box to that question on the DS-230, then yes. It doesn't always work, though, so if you don't have your SS card in the mail within a month or so, you'll want to go in person to apply.

Congratulations!

Rene
I did have to go in person to apply. All fine, although DHS had my middle name down as part of my first name so I have to get all that changed with USCIS and then SS. It's never over is it?!