Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying out of Dublin??

Flying out of Dublin??

Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default Flying out of Dublin??

Hello all... I have read several times on here about people going through Dublin to sort out the handing over of the "envelope" to American BC..

Does anyone know anything much about this?? We will be flying from Scotland to Minneapolis.. Can't get a direct flight from any of the Scottish Airports to MSP, and don't want to run the risk of missing a connection flight from another US City if we get held up upon arrival in the US with POE.

So thinking ahead (and I mean like 8 months ahead lol) I am trying to figure out what the easiest and cheapest way is going to be for us to travel. We will be doing this with 2 young children too

So here is what I am thinking... fly from Scotland to Dublin the day before flying Dublin to Chicago then to MSP. (This actually works out cheaper than flying Scotland to MSP via France, Amsterdam, Italy or any of the other countries that keep popping up.) But am wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about what people are talking about in regards to American Border Control in Dublin???

Thanks in advance, yet again for another question of mine

MrsW

Last edited by MrsWaring; Jun 15th 2012 at 10:45 am.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flying out of Dublin??

on last minute dot com i found flights

edinburgh-amsterdam-minneapolis £692 did going through dublin work out cheaper than that mrs w

on here there is differing opinions about dublin as you can still miss your flight. and your liable for the new flight so i hear.

hope this may help
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsWaring View Post
Can't get a direct flight from any of the Scottish Airports to MSP, and don't want to run the risk of missing a connection flight from another US City if we get held up upon arrival in the US with POE.
The solution is to leave several hours between flights. Figuring out any other solution is a waste of time and effort.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Originally Posted by redarmy990 View Post
on last minute dot com i found flights

edinburgh-amsterdam-minneapolis £692 did going through dublin work out cheaper than that mrs w

on here there is differing opinions about dublin as you can still miss your flight. and your liable for the new flight so i hear.

hope this may help
Thanks Red.

Found it for £571 Aberdeen-Dublin-Chicago-Minneapolis. Figure if we flew to Dublin the day before and stayed at hotel (£50 for a family room) that we should have quite a bit of time before the US flight to go through the POE. But that is the kind of info I am hoping someone will be able to provide...
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
The solution is to leave several hours between flights. Figuring out any other solution is a waste of time and effort.

Ian
Ahh, but it works out cheaper to go through Dublin as well hence why I am asking about Dublin
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

When I'm flying to San Fran it's always through Dublin. They've a new terminal there now which seems to be a great job. My wife went back in February there via the new terminal and just informed me she went through immigration in it.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan NI View Post
When I'm flying to San Fran it's always through Dublin. They've a new terminal there now which seems to be a great job. My wife went back in February there via the new terminal and just informed me she went through immigration in it.
Have you ever flown with Aer Lingus out of Dublin? I have never heard of them, but it also appears that it is cheaper to book a one way ticket with them than a return.. most airlines I have checked so far are cheaper to get Return tickets. But Aer Lingus has one way tickets for nearly £1,000 cheaper for the 4 of us... Definitely thinking I will be going through Dublin now
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you ever flown with Aer Lingus out of Dublin? I have never heard of them, but it also appears that it is cheaper to book a one way ticket with them than a return.. most airlines I have checked so far are cheaper to get Return tickets. But Aer Lingus has one way tickets for nearly £1,000 cheaper for the 4 of us... Definitely thinking I will be going through Dublin now
My wife's doing that when she moves back in October, I think for that exact reason. Of course, that's much to far away to be any help with your questions so I'm not sure why I bothered writing this. I guess I just wanted to join in.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JSL8610 View Post
My wife's doing that when she moves back in October, I think for that exact reason. Of course, that's much to far away to be any help with your questions so I'm not sure why I bothered writing this. I guess I just wanted to join in.
Aww, James bless ya you could have just said "hey I want to play" if you were feeling a little left out. hehe

But yeah, now I have read more about it and seen the price difference, flying Aer Lingus out of Dublin, one way £1500 total for all of us and the added bonus of not having to worry about immigration after a 10+ hour journey= definitely the way ahead!!!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Aer Lingus is the national airline of Ireland and is pretty good tbh. Nothing too flashy but never had any reason to complain. The only thing about flying with them now to the west coast is the stop in Chicago. Hate that airport, last time we did it, we had to pick up our bags from one belt walk 50 yds put them on another one, then catch some monorail around to the next terminal which meant we had to go through security again. Pain in the arse but if it's big savings probably worth the pain!

When are you due to fly?

I have been pricing flights for november through dublin and this site www.e-travel.ie is bringing back very cheap flights. Now I can't vouch for them as I never booked with them and can't til we hear about our visa and get our unborn child a passport. But it might be worth a wee look

Last edited by Ryan NI; Jun 15th 2012 at 2:15 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan NI View Post
Aer Lingus is the national airline of Ireland and is pretty good tbh. Nothing too flashy but never had any reason to complain. The only thing about flying with them now to the west coast is the stop in Chicago. Hate that airport, last time we did it, we had to pick up our bags from one belt walk 50 yds put them on another one, then catch some monorail around to the next terminal which meant we had to go through security again. Pain in the arse but if it's big savings probably worth the pain!

When are you due to fly?

I have been pricing flights for november through dublin and this site www.e-travel.ie is bringing back very cheap flights. Now I can't vouch for them as I never booked with them and can't til we hear about our visa and get our unborn child a passport. But it might be worth a wee look
We won't be flying until next March. Hoping for interview sometime later in the year (still waiting on I-130 approval at the mo) so we won't be booking until Nov/Dec time after the interview. So hoping we can still get such good prices.

Try skyscanner.net as well. They are pretty good for cheap deals as well. I like the fact you can see the whole year with them to find the cheapest flights. But strangely enough, I found the best deal on the Aer Lingus page. And really pleased that it is cheaper for a one way ticket!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The people who are talking about flying out of Dublin, are usually people wanting to visit the USA on the VWP, who aren't sure if they'll make it through the US POE stateside. Since they go through the US POE at Dublin, if they are refused entry, they don't have as far back to fly right away.

If you have the Immigrant Visa or K-1 visa in hand, there's no reason to go through Dublin, unless it makes the flight cheaper or more convenient for you travel-wise.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
If you have the Immigrant Visa or K-1 visa in hand, there's no reason to go through Dublin, unless it makes the flight cheaper or more convenient for you travel-wise.
Thanks Rene. The reason I am thinking of doing it this way is

A- it works out cheaper

B- I think it would be better for us with the two kiddies to do the "immigration" process prior to a 15 hr flight rather than after when all we will want is our beds

C-I have lived in the UK for 14 years and never been to Ireland, so at least I can say I have been (even if it is just the Airport and Hotel at the airport lol)
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene. The reason I am thinking of doing it this way is

A- it works out cheaper

B- I think it would be better for us with the two kiddies to do the "immigration" process prior to a 15 hr flight rather than after when all we will want is our beds

C-I have lived in the UK for 14 years and never been to Ireland, so at least I can say I have been (even if it is just the Airport and Hotel at the airport lol)
LOL, sounds good, go for it.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
LOL, sounds good, go for it.

Rene
Oh and D- to have a half of Guiness in Ireland of course!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.