British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Flying in next week!! Getting scared now!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/flying-next-week-getting-scared-now-332185/)

Francisco Oct 18th 2005 7:05 pm

Flying in next week!! Getting scared now!!

Well I went to Noo Joisey on my own for 5 days, looked at lots of rentals and wasn't over the moon about any of them, but on the second day (and having to make a decision) one more came on the market in the morning. I was the only person to see it that afternoon and decided to rent it.

(Unfortunately its not available until mid November, so we have to be in a temporary place for 3 weeks but thats ok).

The school wants boy to have his assessment on Friday! and may start school on the Monday! Well straight in at the deep end, wont kill him will it? :eek:

So me husband and boy will be in NJ by next Thursday. I am looking round my house and still have loads of stuff to sort out (skip arrives tomorrow, all husbands car mags going straight in it defo).

So I'm a bit scared :scared: excited :D and fairly cool about it all at the same time :cool:

And G knows when I'll get a computer set up to get back on BE so I may be gone for some time......

PS Thanks to Englishmum for your helpful advice and suggestions.

Sarah Oct 18th 2005 7:13 pm

Re: Flying in next week!! Getting scared now!!

Originally Posted by Francisco
Well I went to Noo Joisey on my own for 5 days, looked at lots of rentals and wasn't over the moon about any of them, but on the second day (and having to make a decision) one more came on the market in the morning. I was the only person to see it that afternoon and decided to rent it.

(Unfortunately its not available until mid November, so we have to be in a temporary place for 3 weeks but thats ok).

The school wants boy to have his assessment on Friday! and may start school on the Monday! Well straight in at the deep end, wont kill him will it? :eek:

So me husband and boy will be in NJ by next Thursday. I am looking round my house and still have loads of stuff to sort out (skip arrives tomorrow, all husbands car mags going straight in it defo).

So I'm a bit scared :scared: excited :D and fairly cool about it all at the same time :cool:

And G knows when I'll get a computer set up to get back on BE so I may be gone for some time......

What you coming to NJ for, is it work or plesaure?

Francisco Oct 18th 2005 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
What you coming to NJ for, is it work or plesaure?

Husband working in Manhattan so he is on H1B, me H4.

Trying and failing to sell our house in UK as we wont be coming back to same area, or theres always the chance we will want to try and stay. Renting in the mean time.

Looking forward to operating outside my comfort zone for a few years, and I think our son will enjoy himself (he's seven on the day we fly poor lad). Employer will start app for GC soon so I may be able to take paid employment in what, a year or so?

Eskimo Oct 18th 2005 8:03 pm

Good luck -its an interesting ride from here on :D

Angry White Pyjamas Oct 19th 2005 2:30 am

Husband working in Manhattan so he is on H1B, me H4.

Trying and failing to sell our house in UK as we wont be coming back to same area, or theres always the chance we will want to try and stay. Renting in the mean time.

Looking forward to operating outside my comfort zone for a few years, and I think our son will enjoy himself (he's seven on the day we fly poor lad). Employer will start app for GC soon so I may be able to take paid employment in what, a year or so?

More like 3-5 years.

Good luck anyway...its nothing if its not interesting.

dbj1000 Oct 19th 2005 2:53 am

...Employer will start app for GC soon so I may be able to take paid employment in what, a year or so?

Definitely not! As AWP says, 3-5 years if you're lucky... quite possibly longer. We've been here 2.5 years on H1B/H4 and my wife is no closer to being able to work than the day we arrived, despite all my employer's best intentions and efforts.

Still, cross that bridge when you come to it, eh?

Good luck with the actual move. I'm sure it'll go great - it's certainly an adventure!

Wintersong Oct 19th 2005 2:56 am

Wow! D Day is nearly here, huh?

Best wishes - hope all goes well for you and the family. Come back as soon as you can and let us know how it all went.

ScousePete Oct 19th 2005 10:41 am

The school wants boy to have his assessment on Friday!

And Tarzan arrives when? Cheetah? :p