Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying the flag ??

Flying the flag ??

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying the flag ??

I have a little pin with the Union Jack & the Stars & Stripes on it. It is pinned to my diaper bag.

We have a number plate on the front of our truck that has the Stars & Stripes with an eagle on it. Hubby put it on there, I don't like it (the eagle is ugly!).
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Don;t actually have one - but I'm toying with the idea of buying a mini with a Union Jack or Scottish Slatire on the roof That way all the pickup trucks on the road here will see the flag as I drive underneath them to beat traffic on the highways!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:08 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
We fly the Grand Union flag at home

heres a link ...
http://www.anyflag.com/history/grandun.htm

The canal?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have the crossed flags of Britain and the US on the front plate of the car and the St George cross, Union Jack, Stars and Stripes and the Arizona state flag on my back gate. The HOA nazi won't let you fly more than one flag, so I choose to fly none from the actual house. This will change when we move into our new house at the end of the month. I also have a largish Union Jack flag at work, just to upset the Germans who own the company.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well, do you fly or even display a flag - if so what and where ???

I have a union jack and an ulster flag outside the house and a Hawaii state and irish rugby flag stickers on my pc at work

Thanks to the conferderate flag thread for the idea

We fly the Earth Flag - have done since I got here and bought a flagpole especially for the purpose. I wish I could see more of them around - I haven't seen even one other up to now. The Earth is far more important to us than any country on the planet.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Since 9/11 we have the Union Jack and Stars and Stripes flying between the garage doors. This works well as the S & S should not be flown at night unless it is lit (or should I say lighted?) and we have light sensor lights by the doors.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:45 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Stars and Stripes/Union Jack sticker in the back window of my unfeasably large truck. We used to fly both flags on special occasions back in Chicago, but don't seem to do it here for some reason.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Stars and Stripes/Union Jack sticker in the back window of my unfeasably large truck. We used to fly both flags on special occasions back in Chicago, but don't seem to do it here for some reason.
Is it because flags look great blowing in the wind & Chicago is the 'windy city', so it's a must?!?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:50 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Is it because flags look great blowing in the wind & Chicago is the 'windy city', so it's a must?!?
It's a misconception "the windy city' comes from the hot air the politicians blow seemingly, although it is windy as well, the Sears Tower went through a phase of windows dropping onto the street in high winds
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:52 pm
Back where I belong!

It's a misconception "the windy city' comes from the hot air the politicians blow seemingly, although it is windy as well, the Sears Tower went through a phase of windows dropping onto the street in high winds
OMG! Did anyone get hurt or worst still, did anyone die?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
OMG! Did anyone get hurt or worst still, did anyone die?
It was the John Hancock, although I seem to remember my wife telling me the Sears kept doing it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hancock_Tower

Last edited by gruffbrown; Mar 2nd 2006 at 8:07 pm. Reason: Talking Bollocks
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 7:56 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdglazerman
Nice one, centurion.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:16 pm

Of the many things I like and dislike about the US, the flying of gargantuan flags over here is pretty impressive IMO
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:27 pm
Back where I belong!

Of the many things I like and dislike about the US, the flying of gargantuan flags over here is pretty impressive IMO
I like them too. I like the way that American's are very patriotic, it's nice to see that, I especially like July 4th celebrations! I just don't like it when some of those American's think they are the best at everything. I have found it is usually these sorts, that have never even left the country!
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:01 pm
I Beg To Differ

BE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond repute

It was the John Hancock, although I seem to remember my wife telling me the Sears kept doing it as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hancock_Tower
It happened at the Sears Tower, April 6, 1988, and I still have as a souvenir a piece of the window that shattered just feet in front of me.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=Apr_wx_trivia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.