Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

flying first time with 4 month old baby to uk

flying first time with 4 month old baby to uk

Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flying first time with 4 month old baby to uk

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I know a US/Brit couple who had their baby in the UK (they lived there). They knew the kid had a claim to US citizenship, so went to the US embassy to get a US passport since they were flying to the US a week later. At the Embassy, they asked if that had gotten the baby a UK passport, which he was of course also entitled to. They hadn't. The US Embassy pointed out that when they returned, the baby would only be able to enter the UK as a tourist and would technically need to leave! With no time to sort that out, they want anyway.

They got a hard time upon arricing back in the UK, but were told to just get the UK passport ASAP and present it later to prove the baby can indeed stay (which got me thinking, would the US would be so easy going!?).
I believe that is true...if I entered the UK using my US PP I would be classed as a tourist and not a UK citizen. Not sure how relevant that is for a short visit...although if you are returning to live in the UK you need to use your UK PP when entering the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:33 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
infants dont get strapped in anymore, they have to be held . supposed to be safer. Remember if u dont pay for a ticket for baby, and under 2 they are free ur not entitled to the luggage allowance. So think twice before going cheap, especially as excess luggage can be quite pricey.

remember there is a weight limit on the bassinets! If u get one!
We didn't pay for a seat but we still had a luggage allowance for the baby.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I believe that is true...if I entered the UK using my US PP I would be classed as a tourist and not a UK citizen. Not sure how relevant that is for a short visit...although if you are returning to live in the UK you need to use your UK PP when entering the UK.
Anyone entitled to a US passport must travel to the US using the American passport.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commoner
Anyone entitled to a US passport must travel to the US using the American passport.
I know but we are discussing entering the UK.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know but we are discussing entering the UK.
True, but I read:

From what I know flying your British child into the UK on an American passport isn't a major calamity, because all you have to do is go back to the airport and present the EU passport.

From the reverse side it isn't that easy, and American immigration isn't as easy to appease (surprise surprise).

I just mentioned this in case the woman had a dual national child with only a British passport.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by commoner
True, but I read:

From what I know flying your British child into the UK on an American passport isn't a major calamity, because all you have to do is go back to the airport and present the EU passport.

From the reverse side it isn't that easy, and American immigration isn't as easy to appease (surprise surprise).

I just mentioned this in case the woman had a dual national child with only a British passport.
As I said I don't know what the effects of being classed at a non UK citizen is for a short visit. If you are staying in the UK...it effects child benefit etc...how you go about sorting it out if you have entered long term on a US PP...I really have no idea but I wouldn't have thought it's as simple as going back to the airport.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines usually publish their baby policies on their sites, including fees and luggage restrictions.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I'd just stress that it would be beneficial to book a bulkhead seat before travelling. This is what I did when travelling with my children as babies. I think you can researve the cot at the same time.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:58 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with my daughter a few times now, first time she was about 4 months old. We flew B.A. and even though she was a lap baby we did have to pay a fee (can't remember the exact amount). With B.A. we weren't able to book the bulkheads but we got them both ways. We were given a cot for the journey but she didn't really sleep in it, slept on me for the most part! Definitely take more diapers/spare clothes than you think you will need, plus a spare top for yourself in case of spit up, poop up, etc. Nurse or give a bottle during take-off/landing, helps their ears.
Naomi.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

We've been flying around the world with our little one, she got her passport at 10 days old. She's never had the cot on the plane. We've always been able to manage just fine, even on transatlantic flights.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
We've been flying around the world with our little one, she got her passport at 10 days old. She's never had the cot on the plane. We've always been able to manage just fine, even on transatlantic flights.
We only fly Virgin now. They are just fantastic. Unless you absolutely have to save pennies do not ever ever ever fly any sort of american airline. They are all just awful. We booked on the virgin website (which is always cheaper than any other site). We called to confirm the infant bassinet (sky cot). The indian call centre rep assured it was all set.
We arrived early to make sure of the cot situation. The check in girl told us that it was all arranged and had been discussed in advance in the morning crew meeting. The Virgin crew really helped out so much, helping my wife (who was flying solo) with the stroller and bags.
If youre breast feeding or even if youre not make sure to feed your baby as you take off. Try to resist feeding before take off in case baby doesnt want to drink. Our baby cried a bit as we taxied but its worth it to avoid ear infections due to pressure change. Same goes for landing.
So far she has travelled to the UK twice with the baby solo with Virgin and been happy every time.
If youre flying alone with a child dont forget a notarised letter from the father to say that you can fly to country x at that time. I ammended a standard letter I found online to say my wife could travel with my baby (full name) any time anywhere to save getting multiple letters. Also a good idea to travel with babie's birth certificate and even marriage license too.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

latempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nice

Originally Posted by tjlewis
can anyone give me some advice on travelling to uk with my 4 mth old baby girl. i thought under 2 yrs they flew free, this doesn't seem to be the case. i always fly with either virgin or ba and both charge but i don't know what the arrangements are on board. do i get a seat or not, if not can i take my car seat on as luggage as i will need one when i get there? i think maybe some kind of sky cot is provided but not sure .please can any one with experience on this help me out ,web sites don't make it very clear. cheers:
As others have said, flying International for under 2's is not free. They have to have a ticket and at least pay taxes which can be as much as $200.

BA have bassinets and a Britax seat. I highly recommend the Britax seat as it reclines and sits up to give your child variety. These attach to the bulkhead, so you have to have a bulkhead seat which you have to phone to request as soon as you book your ticket. If you are lucky enough to be assigned the bulkhead, tell the crew immediately when you get on the plane that you want a Britax seat as they do not always have enough for all the bulkheads.

Saying that, I have not had good experiences with BA recently as their new policy is that you cannot prebook seats until 24 hours before a flight, and I think it is 48 hours if you have children. It was so stressful trying to get seats for us all together, especially coming back when we didn't have internet connection. Before this new policy came in we even paid for premium economy and chose seats together. Everytime I rechecked our booking, they had moved us so we were split up all over the cabin. It was so stressful. However, on board they give great service and will help you if you need anything. Northwest were great when we went in September both in prebooking seats, help on board and great child meals.

When you go online and check prices, see how much it costs with you putting your child on as a 2 year old. Sometimes it is not much less, and having a seat which you can put your car seat in so you have it in the UK is worth a few extra bucks especially if you are travelling alone.

Make sure you take an extra set of clothes for yourself as well as the baby; if they get airsick you will probably get covered too! If you are using formula; coming back from the UK they will make you taste any that is in liquid form. Make sure it is in a resealable containor and that you have some way of keeping it fresh once it is opened. It is easier to take powder and request water on board to make up a bottle.

One last piece of advice: take your stroller to the airplane. Then if it is a smaller fold up one; ask if they can put it on board the plane not in the hold. Heathrow is particularly bad and if a stroller is in the hold they often only give it back at baggage claim where they arrive to one side and not on the luggage belt. I always packed a front carrier incase I couldn't have my stroller back so I had hands free for immigration and carrying hand luggage. I try to fly into Gatwick whenever I can as immigration seems easier, and they do bring strollers back to the plane.

If it you have a full size stroller then take an extra luggage belt to thread through and keep the stroller closed. The small plastic catches can easily break as the stroller is thrown around if it is not tied up.

Hope some of this helps; just be as prepared as you can and have a great flight!