Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying the duck pond

Flying the duck pond

Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying the duck pond

I don't understand the problem here.....unless there's turbulence for the whole flight (which there won't be) he can walk around for most of the flight if he so wishes....just the same as walking around in an airport or anywhere else on the ground.

I do plenty of standing and walking around on every transatlantic flight and nobody's ever stopped me.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My 83 yr old MIL is flying from Manchester to NJ...she has DVT amongst other health issues. She will be one of those people who walk up and down the plane throughout the flight.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:20 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

My Father having over the years had various bouts of arthritis and sciatica combined now with damaged knees (that the docs say there’s nothing they can do for him), now has to use a walking stick just to get around finds it extremely difficult to do the long haul flights now, he is starting to slow down, my Brother also informed me that he nearly went arse over tit last Christmas (On a Delta flight), so part of it may be just in his mind.

Which is why he was looking for the shortest flight time even if it meant taking three flights and staying over night somewhere.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dad can't get knee replacement surgery? It is truly wonderful. The results are fantastic and everyone I know from young to elderly are doing great with it.

Why doesn't your brother chip in for the flight so that you can get it business class? Think of it as a nice Christmas/Father's Day gift.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:29 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
Dad can't get knee replacement surgery? It is truly wonderful. The results are fantastic and everyone I know from young to elderly are doing great with it.

Why doesn't your brother chip in for the flight so that you can get it business class? Think of it as a nice Christmas/Father's Day gift.
According to the fine doctors in Inverness he is not a candiate for knee replacement nor will he ever be.

Alas my Brother is the one with the money and he's tighter than a duck's arse and thats water tight.

Last time I looked business class was running INV-CLT was running approx $3500, I could fly home 4-5 times for that money.

Last edited by fsm; Dec 9th 2009 at 4:31 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!

Then meet up with Dad in a nice warm place in Europe instead for a lovely vacation.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
knee replacement surgery...is truly wonderful. The results are fantastic and everyone I know from young to elderly are doing great with it.
I'd suggest it depends on the person, if you are clinically obese this can make it difficult for the surgeons to carry out a clean cut replacement, and even if it works too much wear on the joint can lead to loosening or worse further impaired mobility. The operation itself poses the risk of unintended complications including infection which can necessitate a second operation to treat the infection or replace the joint. Multiple operations can lead to further complications such as lymphedema. The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases has a good article on the topic.

Last edited by Dewey; Dec 9th 2009 at 5:35 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
Inverness in Scotland.

I live in Charlotte, he does not want to be on a plane for 10 hours so looking for shortest flights even if it means taking 3 flights etc.

I just flew from London Heathrow to Chicago, yesterday and it was 8hrs on the nut.

American Airlines have a non-stop from Heathrow to Raleigh.

I'm with the others who say it's better to get it over with than go through the hassle and expense of the extra flights and hotels. Perhaps a seat behind a bulkhead would give your dad some extra room for his knee. Just a thought.

Jim.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:59 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
American Airlines have a non-stop from Heathrow to Raleigh.
And if he does that one and you get him in business class (either with $$ or miles) he'll probably clear immigration faster than most of the USCs on the flight.

That was a peculiarity of RDU that I always liked.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
And if he does that one and you get him in business class (either with $$ or miles) he'll probably clear immigration faster than most of the USCs on the flight.

That was a peculiarity of RDU that I always liked.
and his cases will come off first.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
I'd suggest it depends on the person, if you are clinically obese this can make it difficult for the surgeons to carry out a clean cut replacement, and even if it works too much wear on the joint can lead to loosening or worse further impaired mobility. The operation itself poses the risk of unintended complications including infection which can necessitate a second operation to treat the infection or replace the joint. Multiple operations can lead to further complications such as lymphedema. The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases has a good article on the topic.
FSM's dad may have cardiac or pulmonary risk factors that rule out general anaesthesia.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
FSM's dad may have cardiac or pulmonary risk factors that rule out general anaesthesia.
Does knee replacement always require general anesthetic? Just curious as I'm sure I'll need it sooner or later.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:15 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Glasgow to Bermuda. Bermuda to Charlotte?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 1:00 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

Actually my Father is fairly unique, he had a reaction to ibrophoen being ultrasounded into his knee, which resulted in a condition that I can not pronounce, he actually shed his skin is the quick sumrise of what happened.

They took him into hospital it turns out without a treatment plan as they where expecting to care for his final days.

As a result of everything that happened, if he needs pills for anything they come from a herablist with his dr's approval.

Most people ask for ID when asking for his senior discount, when he is 77, I think losing your skin and having it grow back is a very drastic and not recommended method of reducing your age appearance.

I know he has had three different dr's look at his knees and they all say no to any surgery.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
Inverness in Scotland.

I live in Charlotte, he does not want to be on a plane for 10 hours so looking for shortest flights even if it means taking 3 flights etc.
I would rather be in for one long haul than 2 or 3 shorter flights with lay overs, they can be a pain.
We occasionaly fly to and fro from EWR or JFK to LHR and its about 6.25 over and 7.25 back.

Also no matter how many airlines and travel sights we try my wife always waits till the last few days before booking and always finds the cheapest flights on Virgin ..... she's magic Last trip (20th nov out, 30th nov back) $389.00 per adult round trip including taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.