Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying domestically with US drivers license, non citizen

Flying domestically with US drivers license, non citizen

Old Feb 12th 2015, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying domestically with US drivers license, non citizen

Hi all,

not strictly an immigration, but a question relating to my status in the US. I am on a a working visa, not a citizen or permanent resident.

Is a US drivers license enough for me to fly domestically?

I am traveling in a months time. My UK passport is up for renewal in June, and i hope to fly to england in july so could do with getting my passport and renewal documents sent off sooner rather than later, but obviously don't want to be left unable to fly in March.

This paragraph (source: http://http://traveltips.usatoday.co...vel-13294.html ) would suggest I'm ok to travel.. assuming a driving license counts? Government issued photo ID right?

Non-US Citizens
Non-US citizens who can present a government-issued ID like a permanent resident card are not required to present a passport for air travel within the United States. Non-US citizen passengers who cannot present a government-issued ID should carry their passports at all times in America.

However, i just wanted to check. In looking to book flights this evening, when clicking through and asked for advanced passenger info, the only ID option in the dropdown listed is passport.

I couldn't find any references to this specific situation on any government or airline site itself.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying domestically with US drivers license, non citizen

Originally Posted by CoachMB
Is a US drivers license enough for me to fly domestically?
Yes.
This paragraph (source: http://http://traveltips.usatoday.co...vel-13294.html ) would suggest I'm ok to travel.. assuming a driving license counts? Government issued photo ID right?
Yes.
However, i just wanted to check. In looking to book flights this evening, when clicking through and asked for advanced passenger info, the only ID option in the dropdown listed is passport.
For a domestic flight???
I couldn't find any references to this specific situation on any government or airline site itself.
Probably because, for the most part, they just assume that everyone in the U.S. knows that a U.S. state driver's license is a "government issued photo-id" (notwithstanding the provisions of the REAL ID Act which you can read about here).
Old Feb 12th 2015, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

CoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond reputeCoachMB has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply.. i had always assumed having a license was fine... (i haven't flown domestically for a couple of years, so can't remember what i used)... until trying to book this flight.

I have the option to enter 'advanced passenger information' it doesn't say 'optional', but presumably if i don't do it now i would just have to do it later. If i select to do it, it asks for passport number, which is what threw me.

It's a dropdown menu for 'type of ID' but hardly a dropdown as i click it, and the only option is passport. I was trying to book a delta through edreams.net, as thats where i found it the cheapest, but i could try and a different site to book and see if i have the same question.

Thought it was strange that it wouldn't give me any other option.

Somebody else is welcome to go on the site and find a random flight so they can see what i mean.. (obviously you can select and see the options I'm talking about without actually booking).
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Drivers license is fine domestically.

That said, as a non-citizen it's probably a good idea to have proof of lawful presence to hand when traveling.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Not going to Arizona are you? Whilst in AZ for a week, I was asked for my passport 4 times. Photocopy the passport and bring copy of the visa approval paperwork as backup in case you are asked about your status.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Not going to Arizona are you? Whilst in AZ for a week, I was asked for my passport 4 times. Photocopy the passport and bring copy of the visa approval paperwork as backup in case you are asked about your status.
What?

I've taken domestic flights from inside Arizona and used my Alberta DL with no problem. I have had to pull out my NEXUS card at Border Patrol checkpoints on occasion but usually they don't care, I just tell them I'm Canadian and they waive me through.

Frankly what used to annoy me was that no-one in TSA seemed to know what a NEXUS card was and then I had to pull out my Alberta DL, which seemed bizarre to me as the NEXUS card is issued by CBP, however lately they seem to have finally had some training and they now know what they are.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

We had our Carolina driving licences but they wanted, as sir_eccles said, to know our status in the US as we are not USCs. I should add this was not at the airport, this was driving within Arizona. I expected it near state lines but once was in Flagstaff.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

RealID or rather lack of in certain States is going to cause problems next year.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

We had our Carolina driving licences but they wanted, as sir_eccles said, to know our status in the US as we are not USCs. I should add this was not at the airport, this was driving within Arizona. I expected it near state lines but once was in Flagstaff.
Ironically, there is (for now, at least) absolutely no requirement for US citizens to carry anything with them to prove that they are US citizens (in fact, I don't believe that there is any requirement that they actually even possess a copy of any such document).
Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This was the cops? I assume so as there are no BP checkpoints as far north as Flagstaff.

I was driving down Highway 93 once and I think I was around 10mph over the speed limit, anyway this cop zoomed out from the central reservation with his lights on and as soon as he got close enough to see the Alberta licence plate he slammed his brakes on and swerved off the road. I only noticed him in my rearview when I heard the screech of the tires and I could see a cloud of dust going back to the central reservation.

I assume because there is no driver compact with Alberta there is no point giving us tickets.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by md95065
Ironically, there is (for now, at least) absolutely no requirement for US citizens to carry anything with them to prove that they are US citizens (in fact, I don't believe that there is any requirement that they actually even possess a copy of any such document).
There's no requirement for anybody to carry anything other than LPRs, who are required to carry their: "alien registration cards". The problem is that some BP officers and local cops seem to assume that every alien gets one, which obviously isn't the case.

Canadian visitors for example don't get I-94s (even electronic ones), so if your passport expires you could have nothing to prove any sort of legal presence, you don't even need to enter with a passport, you can use an EDL for example. (The six-month passport validity rule doesn't apply to Canadians either). You don't need a Canadian passport to enter Canada either, CBSA accepts pretty much anything, like a birth certificate.

I remember talking to a Canadian who actually was arrested at a checkpoint run by a county sheriff in Texas and held overnight until they could check his story with BP in the morning.

This is one of the reasons I got a NEXUS card after talking to that guy, because it's US Govt. issued so it can't easily be argued with.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 10:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by CoachMB
Non-US Citizens
[I]Non-US citizens who can present a government-issued ID like a permanent resident card are not required to present a passport for air travel within the United States. Non-US citizen passengers who cannot present a government-issued ID should carry their passports at all times in America.
Not that it's bad advice but legally that's bullshit. Lots of nationalities are exempt from the six-month validity rule for passports. It will become an issue when the REAL ID rules for domestic air travel are brought into force next year though. Because a passport is the obvious one to go for, especially if you live in a State that doesn't issue REAL ID like Arizona.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, we'll be driving in Arizona during April and then September this year on vacation. When we drove to Big Bend National Park in Texas 2 years ago we were stopped twice by BP and had to show passports, but we expected that since it is close to the border and had taken our passports with us. We never normally carry our passports with us when driving within the USA.

Thanks for the heads-up.