Reload this Page >

Flying domestically with I-130/I-485 pending

Flying domestically with I-130/I-485 pending

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:10 am
Just Joined

getyourownshoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying domestically with I-130/I-485 pending

Hello,

My USC husband and I (UKC) filed an "Adjustment Packet" (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765 and I-864) on 2nd of Sept 2011 (as I entered the US under the VWP) and we received I-797C (NOA) confirmations back for these forms.

I signed up for email notifications on the USCIS website, and received emails on the 1st Nov stating that I've been granted a AP document and a EAD. Today (2nd Nov) I received another email stating that I need to attend an interview on 5th Dec 2011. As yet I haven't received the AP or EAD in the post.

Getting to the point: We are hoping to fly from San Francisco to San Diego next week and was wondering is if i need to take a copy of the Packet we sent off and the NOA? I know its only a domestic flight, but the only identification I have is my UK passport and i don't want mess anything up!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:29 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying domestically with I-130/I-485 pending

As you mention, it is a domestic flight and you do have valid ID, so no problem with TSA.

You mention entry on the VW and now having filed for adjustment. You do not give the timing of admission, marriage and filing.

There as issues with use of advance parole. Also, the Dark Forces in San Diego are the worst when it comes to the negative exercise of discretion regarding VWP adjustment applicants.

Also, if one goes to San Diego, San Ysidro and Tijuana ARE in different countries. Crossing that border can be the opposite of "Hotel California" about the ease of checking in but then never leaving. Just saying.

When I was in practice, the strangest things happened in San Diego. Again, just saying.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getyourownshoe
I know its only a domestic flight, but the only identification I have is my UK passport...
Your use of the word "but" suggests that you believe your UK passport is not sufficient identification. It is.

Ian
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Ian:

The minions of the Dark Forces are known to stop and question people in airports. I've heard of them watching people check in for flights. Just saying.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Ha! the Dark Forces! Love it

Thank you both very much for the advice - Hubby and i have decided to drive down so I don't have to run the risk, and because the flights jumped up by $150 each!

Yes - Mexico will have to wait for another day. I am going to be staying firmly on US soil until I have my AP document in my hands, or hopefully the actual spousal visa if the interview goes well in Dec!

Thanks again,
getyourownshoe.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to be staying firmly on US soil until I have my AP document in my hands, or hopefully the actual spousal visa if the interview goes well in Dec!
You mean green card.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:41 am
Visa Voyager

Slipstream is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Also, if one goes to San Diego, San Ysidro and Tijuana ARE in different countries. Crossing that border can be the opposite of "Hotel California" about the ease of checking in but then never leaving. Just saying.

When I was in practice, the strangest things happened in San Diego. Again, just saying.
Never a truer word said.

My wife's family are Mexican, so in the time I've been here we've travelled down to the border from LA to pick them up or drop them back after visiting.
I have to wait in Camino De La Plaza near San Ysidro whilst her and my son cross the border. It made me nervous having to wait there the first time, and even moreso when I was driving back and got stopped at San Clemente weigh bridge and I never had my passport or I-94 with me, but we were waved on though. Even with papers, it put me out of my comfort zone.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Commentator

A long time ago, I took a client down to the Consulate in TJ to obtain a new visa. After success, we were driving north and damn if we did not get stopped at the San Clemente interior inspection station. We were asked to produce our passports which we dutifully did. I was asked why was I carrying my US passport?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 3:07 am
Visa Voyager

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
A long time ago, I took a client down to the Consulate in TJ to obtain a new visa. After success, we were driving north and damn if we did not get stopped at the San Clemente interior inspection station. We were asked to produce our passports which we dutifully did. I was asked why was I carrying my US passport?
Absolutely Classic!
A prime example of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
Love it!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Just a quick post script to update you guys:
My green card interview was successful on Monday (5th Dec) so we can go back to Tijuana very soon and have the full-on Mexican experience!
Thanks again for all your advice and help.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:50 am
Visa Voyager

Just a quick post script to update you guys:
My green card interview was successful on Monday (5th Dec) so we can go back to Tijuana very soon and have the full-on Mexican experience!
Thanks again for all your advice and help.
Congratulations!!!

have a tequila and some tacos de asada for me!