Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying from Canada

Flying from Canada

Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough
Default Flying from Canada

OK peeps, I need your help.

I am going to take the kids back to England in the summer and I am starting to look at flights.
Myself and the 2 kids have L2 visa's valid till 2017, but stamped until 2015 (3 years from original entry).

Can I fly from Toronto?
What happens to our I94's in our Passports?
Will we still have to make an International flight from the US in order to get a longer stamp in our passports?

We live in Michigan and are only 4 hours from Toronto and the flights are MUCH cheaper!!!

Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying from Canada

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
We live in Michigan and are only 4 hours from Toronto and the flights are MUCH cheaper!!!Thanks
I can't answer your question, but this is probably not something said very often....lol

Canadian's tend to flock south of the border because flights from Canada tend to be so pricey.....
Old Feb 13th 2014, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can fly from Toronto.

I assume you are driving to Toronto? If so, you should return the I-94 to Canadian immigration when you enter Canada. You'll get a new I-94 when you return to the US. If you're flying to Toronto, you would give the I-94 to the airline rep at check-in.

When you make short trips to Canada, you can keep the I-94 and just use it to return to the US. However, you're not making a sort trip to Canada.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:54 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Canadian's tend to flock south of the border because flights from Canada tend to be so pricey.....
I've driven up to Ottawa for eighteen years to fly to LHR, usually the price is pretty good, although my main reason is it is my closest airport.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
Can I fly from Toronto?
Yes.

What happens to our I94's in our Passports?
Nothing, they're multiple entry (or should be, have a look at what is stamped on them), DO NOT surrender them even if the check-in person tries to take them off you.

Will we still have to make an International flight from the US in order to get a longer stamp in our passports?
Nothing changes as regards your paperwork. You drive to Toronto, you get on the plane, you come back to Toronto, you drive to Michigan. At each POE you just show your passport with the I-94 in it.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 5:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
you should return the I-94 to Canadian immigration when you enter Canada
They're L-2, not visitors. No need to return the I-94. CBSA will ask when you enter Canada if you want to surrender it, to which the answer is "no".
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
They're L-2, not visitors. No need to return the I-94. CBSA will ask when you enter Canada if you want to surrender it, to which the answer is "no".
Actually now that I think of it, I thought I read somewhere that they wanted to collect all the old paper I-94s and have everyone use the new electronic I-94 upon re-entry.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well I'd ask CBSA at the POE if that's the case, but in the past I've found the surest way to annoy a CBP inspector is to ask for a multiple entry I-94 to be reissued because you surrendered it.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've driven up to Ottawa for eighteen years to fly to LHR, usually the price is pretty good, although my main reason is it is my closest airport.
Maybe there isn't as huge a difference to Europe, but to the US it can be near double or more from a Canadian airport.

For my trip to California in September from Vancouver International (1 1/2 hours from me) the lowest fare was 785 per person round trip, with a connection in Seattle, San Francisco or Los Angeles (no non-stops available on the route)

From Bellingham which only takes me 30 extra minutes, the cost was 222 per per round trip. (connection in Seattle.)

I have only used YVR once because the premium to use it, is crazy insane price wise.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone.

For us it will save (1 adult and 2 kids) over $1500 to fly from Toronto compared to flying from Detroit. The routes are different and we wouldn't have to pay mainland Europe taxes - although I have discovered that using Paris rather than Amsterdam saves $200 on it's own.
$1500 goes a long way towards car hire and days out whilst in the UK!!!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:31 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago I flew to Israel from LAX via Air Canada. It involved a stop in Toronto.

On the way out, I had to clear Canadian immigration and customs and then caught my second flight.

Coming back, it was actually kind of weird. I landed in Toronto, cleared Canadian customs and immigration. Took my baggage upstairs, 20 minutes after entering Canada, I cleared US immigration & customs in PFI.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is weird for flying "through". It doesn't recognize transit status. Unless you are a USC, US PR or an Indonesian, Thai, Filipino, Taiwanese, or Chinese AND flying in from only certain cities, you require a full Canadian visa even if only connecting. I discovered this the hard way once.
Sorry, off topic.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jmood
Canada is weird for flying "through". It doesn't recognize transit status. Unless you are a USC, US PR or an Indonesian, Thai, Filipino, Taiwanese, or Chinese AND flying in from only certain cities, you require a full Canadian visa even if only connecting. I discovered this the hard way once.
Sorry, off topic.
You do not need a visa to visit or transit in Canada if you are using a UK passport.