Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flying baby!

Flying baby!

Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:11 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying baby!

No... not an amusing picture of a baby magically suspended in mid-air.

We're flying to the UK on Wednesday (I CAN'T WAIT!! FIRST TIME BACK IN TWOOOOOOO YEARS) and we'll have the babba with us. My question is: does anyone have any fabulous tips on flying hassle-free with a little one? Here's what we've heard so far:

- Bring something for him to suck on during take-off and landing to relieve ear pressure. We're taking some food for him to swallow for this purpose as he is pacifier-free.

- Take the buggy/stroller/whatever you call it all the way to the gate.

- Take the car seat (fits in to stroller) and if there's a spare seat next to ours, use it on the flight.

- Bring LOTS of diapers, food, wipes and spare clothing.

Any other advice? My son has special needs so not everything will apply to us, but I'd be very grateful just the same.

Ta!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying baby!

Originally Posted by gingerert View Post
Any other advice?
I've put on my flame-retardant suit for this one.. but since you ask, I'd take along some cough syrup. Nothing like a sleeping baby to keep the other passengers from wanting to strangle the little tyke (... or you)!

Ian
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:19 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
I've put on my flame-retardant suit for this one.. but since you ask, I'd take along some cough syrup. Nothing like a sleeping baby to keep the other passengers from wanting to strangle the little tyke (... or you)!

Ian
Benadryl works better.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:20 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post

Ian
Well... he has a special sleepy medication to help control some seizures, so I think giving him his dose of that at a crucial moment meets that criteria!

Thanks though. I am absolutely dreading being "that" family with "that" baby.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:28 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well... he has a special sleepy medication to help control some seizures, so I think giving him his dose of that at a crucial moment meets that criteria!

Thanks though. I am absolutely dreading being "that" family with "that" baby.
That child sat acrossed the isle from me last week every time as I nodded of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old Dec 21st 2009, 5:55 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Poppy girl View Post
That child sat acrossed the isle from me last week every time as I nodded of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Maybe I should just attach a sign to him saying "Sorry"...

I do get how children are just expressing their boredom, discomfort and/or hunger, but we should all acknowledge that screamers are actually just really irritating, whether they're your own or someone else's.

And we should also always give a big bunch of flowers to those parents who manage to calm said children, saving everone else a headache.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown a few times with my kids. (They are a little bit older than your son though!) One thing I found that seemed to work on all the flights we have done is walking up and down the plane with them. Gives them something different to look at (the other passengers) and gets the blood pumping round your legs! They also liked going to the toilet so they could look at themselves in the mirror. (I have vain kids what can I tell you!) They also liked watching the movies even though they didn't have the headsets to listen to them. My daughter was 2 the first time she flew and we gave her a few sweets to suck on to stop her ears popping and let her lie with her head on my lap and legs on her dads so she would go to sleep. Also bear in mind the time you will spend in departures once you have checked in. I was waiting for 2 hours with my kids before we left Heathrow. You might want to check with the airline regarding the car seat as there may not be one next to you that you can use unless you have paid for it. I would imagine most flights will be full now, especially after the delays following the weather 'problems'. I took a stroller for my daughter when we flew on her first flight but the stroller was tiny and fit in the overhead storage alongside my carryon bag.
Hope the flight goes well.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:23 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I am absolutely dreading being "that" family with "that" baby.
Don't. I'm sure you'll be fine. In my experience in flying with babies (albeit a limited one) if you're baby is a happy baby on terra firma, then you'll have a happy baby in the air. That was my experience but I have the tin cap on ready for the contrary onslaught
Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Given the problems most UK airports are having today and will be tomw with weather and cancellations, prepare for a long trip!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:09 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

have a stash of books, small toys, puzzles, colouring books, comics, whatever baby likes at the appropriate age - and DONT get them all out at the airport. In the airport use the surroundings to keep baby occupied and tire baby out a bit if you can so they maybe sleep on the plane. then you can produce the baby toys/books etc one at a time every couple of hours so you still have something towards the end of the flight if needed.

pack some small snacks if baby can have food as that makes them happy, occupies half an hour etc. remember wipes etc as i can guarantee they will get their food on YOU! when you have a child under 2 they dont supply any food so either be prepaared to share yours or take something for them to eat.

bottle/sippy cup to suck if you dont have a pacifier. spare onsies/pants/shirt - as you can guarantee some major food/drink accident or poop explosion if you dont! (and i speak from experience here- i remembering running through every shop in the chicago airport trying to find a onsie or tshirt to buy for my littlest son once he tipped his lunch drink all over himself.

i know a lot of this wont apply to your small one - but its good to remember for the future.

regarding the child seat - we had to hand ours in at the plane door (along with the stroller) because their was not a single spare seat on the plane - so it wasnt allowed in the cabin as a baby fare did not include a seat. We also took a large stroller cover/bag to put the stroller in so that we had less chance of damage to the stroller etc - as the baggage handlers are not always gentle and if it end up on the converyor belt - the straps can get snagged etc. Might be worth considering getting a moby wrap or similar (a long piece of fabric to tie into a baby sling as they pack down small and mean you can carry the baby in that and have arms free for fumbling with the stroller, tickets, suitcases etc.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:13 pm
Ginger Monkey

Oooh, some excellent suggestions there, thank you everyone! The one about a new toy every hour is great, MsElui. He loves shiny stuff at the moment, so perhaps I'll nick a few baubles from the departure lounge Christmas tree...

My son is a really good sleeper overnight, so I think the flight to the UK will be okay, but the way back is going to be a bit of a nightmare. TBH, the thing he loves most of all is being left alone to roll around on the floor. Heaven help us if he gets to the point where nothing else will calm him, because I can't see us managing to clear a few seats out of the way for some play space!

And yes... I don't think there will be any spare seats either, but it would be nice if there were. Just keep your fingers crossed we get good weather!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:43 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

No... not an amusing picture of a baby magically suspended in mid-air.

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:16 am
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by Juswus View Post
Lemme work on that for you over my break...
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:20 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Lemme work on that for you over my break...
just kiddin....although i wouldnt say no if you found some footage
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:35 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

get to the check in desk as early as you can and request bulkhead seats. That way they may be able to give you a special cot thing that attaches to the bulkhead - so if he sleeps you can put him in that and get a bit of a break from holding him. 10 hours is a long time in a cramped seat! It can help also to get a spit up cloth/muslin burp cloth, pillow case etc - something small and easy to pack - that YOU can sleep with for a few days beforehand so it smells of you. Then you can use this to lie him on or cover him over with and the smell will be comforting.

make sure both of you know where everything is in your travel bags - because if there are no spare seats and you have to hold him - the other person will have to be getting everything as its needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.