British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   flyin Delta? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/flyin-delta-256074/)

Manc Sep 22nd 2004 3:11 pm

flyin Delta?

Gate Gourmet, just announced last night, without warning they are pulling food from Delta unless they start getting paid on a COD basis.

Delta is serving water/pretzels right now on most flights.

Incidentally, the funniest thing I read was that Delta first class cabin passengers last night on their international routes were served..........

chic-fil-a.
now that's class right there, $2000 for KFC in a bun.

but seriously, if you're due to fly Delta anytime soon, you might wanna stock up on McD's before the flight.

NC Penguin Sep 22nd 2004 4:33 pm

Re: flyin Delta?

Originally Posted by Manc
<<snip>>

but seriously, if you're due to fly Delta anytime soon, you might wanna stock up on McD's before the flight.

I think a lot of passengers do bring on fast food on flights in the US. I know that 'cos on the last internal flight I took (Cleveland-RDU), at least one person had Burger King food 'cos it stunk up the whole cabin!

NC Penguin

Englishmum Sep 22nd 2004 5:16 pm

I wouldn't fancy flying with Delta at all.

Every week at Newark airport I see their planes at the gates and they all look so old and crappy with stains on the peeling paintwork....it seems that they rarely even wash their planes. I hope they're cleaner inside!

Manc Sep 22nd 2004 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I wouldn't fancy flying with Delta at all.

Every week at Newark airport I see their planes at the gates and they all look so old and crappy with stains on the peeling paintwork....it seems that they rarely even wash their planes. I hope they're cleaner inside!

I used em last like 6 years ago, wasn't impressed.
although I flew into JFK with them, I thought Continental mainly use EWR?

most of the planes they use for intl flights are 767 and 777. The 767 go East Coast - UK and they're pretty shit all things considered nowadays. No legroom, no In Flight Entertainment, and now no food.

could be joining US Airways and United in Chapter 11 soon by the looks of it.

Gimme a 777 or A330 anyday.

effi Sep 22nd 2004 5:24 pm

Gate Gourmet, just announced last night, without warning they are pulling food from Delta unless they start getting paid on a COD basis.

Delta is serving water/pretzels right now on most flights.

Incidentally, the funniest thing I read was that Delta first class cabin passengers last night on their international routes were served..........

chic-fil-a.
now that's class right there, $2000 for KFC in a bun.

America West has been doing this since just after 9/11. The food was crap anyway, best to take your own.

Manc Sep 22nd 2004 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by effi
America West has been doing this since just after 9/11. The food was crap anyway, best to take your own.

America West doesn't charge people the best part of $2000 for business class seats only to be given a chicken burger

Wintersong Sep 23rd 2004 8:46 pm

I've never yet forgiven Delta for losing my baggage, making me fill in a claim form then returning my bags 3 weeks later without a word of explanation or apology and certainly no compensation. I'll never fly with them again. :mad:

rincewind Sep 23rd 2004 11:19 pm

I've used Delta for all my internal flights and for flights to and from England.

When my wife and I flew to Vegas for our wedding last year, we were given an announcement that food would no longer be served for free and that you had to pay for it. We looked at the menu and almost fainted. The prices are ridiculous.

I agree with Manc, stock up on food before flying and make all the other passengers jealous when you pull out your picnic hamper :D

Ash UK/US Sep 24th 2004 3:30 am

Originally Posted by rincewind
stock up on food before flying and make all the other passengers jealous when you pull out your picnic hamper :D

your evil :p :D

Ash :)

rincewind Sep 24th 2004 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
your evil :p :D

Just don't fly American Airlines:

American Investigates Pilot's Preaching

Feb 7, 2004

An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York asked Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the non-Christians discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the airline said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on Friday afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers use the flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith, Wagner said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the flight to talk about his first announcement.

Chopper-Chris Sep 24th 2004 1:10 pm

Delta always seemed to be decent to me, but I have to admit,t he last time I flew with them was in Summer 1984 (I was VERY young...honest) on my first ever trip to the USA...they could have gone downhill in the last 20 years I suppose!

American and Continental have earned their place as my two least favorite carriers, I refuse to travel with either of them again....both instances my descision was down to the plain rudeness of the stewardesses (I know, you like to be called Cabin Crew or something else that makes you sound better than you are...but I'm not going to, OK? Just be thankful I didn't call you the 'tart with the cart' and suck it up)

Northwest also pissed me off - the ground staff at check in were unbelievably bad...but I soon got over it when they upgraded us and gave us champagne...the staff in the air very excellent.

We're flying back to the UK at Christmas time with them, I'll keep you all posted on their progress and performance.

Manc Sep 24th 2004 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
We're flying back to the UK at Christmas time with them, I'll keep you all posted on their progress and performance.

I recently flew Northwest out of Detroit to Amsterdam.
a brand new Airbus 330, new livery, new terminal in Detroit. It was excellent.
a bit hit or miss as coming back it was an old DC-10, but still at least they're trying to sort themselves out.

AmerLisa Sep 24th 2004 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by rincewind
Just don't fly American Airlines:

Whoa, what a story! :eek: :eek:

Ash UK/US Sep 24th 2004 6:01 pm

I recently flew Northwest out of Detroit to Amsterdam.
a brand new Airbus 330, new livery, new terminal in Detroit. It was excellent.
a bit hit or miss as coming back it was an old DC-10, but still at least they're trying to sort themselves out.

I flown on a few A330... their nice. Last DC 10 I flew on was old but certainly fast they got us in over an hour early.

Manc Sep 24th 2004 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I flown on a few A330... their nice. Last DC 10 I flew on was old but certainly fast they got us in over an hour early.

who you flying with in Oct?