Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flu Shot Anyone?

Flu Shot Anyone?

Old Oct 12th 2004, 5:05 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question Flu Shot Anyone?

Is anyone going to go out of their way to get a flu shot this year? With the shortage in the US, my employer's just notified everyone that only in direct contact with patients will get them.

This doesn't bother me. The flu shots are free at my workplace and I never got one last year and had no plans to get one this year either. Actually, I just remembered. I can't have one anyway 'cos I've got an egg allergy and the vaccine is cultured on chicken eggs.

I can see a "black" market developing in the buying and selling of flu vaccine. Will there be an exodus from the US to Canada to get a flu shot? Coachloads of grayhaired folk seeking out a fix of flu shot? There's a comedy sketch in there somewhere...

NC Penguin
Old Oct 12th 2004, 5:13 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu Shot Anyone?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Is anyone going to go out of their way to get a flu shot this year? With the shortage in the US, my employer's just notified everyone that only in direct contact with patients will get them.

This doesn't bother me. The flu shots are free at my workplace and I never got one last year and had no plans to get one this year either. Actually, I just remembered. I can't have one anyway 'cos I've got an egg allergy and the vaccine is cultured on chicken eggs.

I can see a "black" market developing in the buying and selling of flu vaccine. Will there be an exodus from the US to Canada to get a flu shot? Coachloads of grayhaired folk seeking out a fix of flu shot? There's a comedy sketch in there somewhere...

NC Penguin
Funny you've just posted this thread, I just got back from the Doctors office as my prescription for my inhaler ran out......anyways they gave me a flu jab as apparently OAP's, toddlers and asthmatics are the "high risk" lot.

'Ol Yosser is good to go for another year atleast then
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:08 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
Funny you've just posted this thread, I just got back from the Doctors office as my prescription for my inhaler ran out......anyways they gave me a flu jab as apparently OAP's, toddlers and asthmatics are the "high risk" lot.

'Ol Yosser is good to go for another year atleast then
Our 9 month old daughter had hers this morning. I wasn't intending to get a flu jab but the bumf the nurse handed out recommended that parents of young kids should have it. So I'm thinking about it.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
Our 9 month old daughter had hers this morning. I wasn't intending to get a flu jab but the bumf the nurse handed out recommended that parents of young kids should have it. So I'm thinking about it.
After sending the original post, I found that the receptionist in workplace, who's just had a baby who's 4 months old is going to get the flu shot. The baby girl is too young to get it (I think she has to be at least 6 months old). The father is going to get the flu shot too to reduce the risk of him possibly getting the flu and passing it to his baby daughter.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:37 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
After sending the original post, I found that the receptionist in workplace, who's just had a baby who's 4 months old is going to get the flu shot. The baby girl is too young to get it (I think she has to be at least 6 months old). The father is going to get the flu shot too to reduce the risk of him possibly getting the flu and passing it to his baby daughter.

NC Penguin
I've never in my life had one, am I the only one who thinks that maybe we are supposed to get sick now and then with the small stuff...so we are stronger against the big stuff? This year as always...no shot. I am considering it tho for 5 mo old 'ironporercito'.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:25 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

What's the bloody point?? What happens after you get the shot? You get sick. Why? Because they've just given you the flu. It's retarded.

Because of the shortage, everyone panics like it's going to be the end of the World. It's just a severe cold.

Jeez
Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:39 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
NOT ME! I got it three years ago and was sick all Freaking Winter! I have never been so sick in all my life! So count me out..............leave mine for someone that needs it more than me!
Oh well bloody done.....now yer tell me! gonna make myself sick just thinking about it now

When I got to the Doctors office there was about 30 oap's, me and a women with her baby....because it was a new practice that I was going to as I was filling out 20 pages of paperwork, the reception girl blurted out loud enough for everyone to hear "Mr Yosser...your entitled to a flu jab 'cause your high risk"....I'm sat there with a smirk all over my face, and you could just tell the purple rinse brigade was having a field day wispering to each other "Ooooh Silvia...how come he can get a jab and my johnny can't!"...

Yosser 1
Miserable fogies 0
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:04 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Not had one before and not starting now
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:09 pm
Never right in the head!

In the last hour, my left arm has began aching like heck! and I sneezed so hard I nearly sh!t myself.....

Where's Rockgurl? is this the first signs of getting sick? if I start coughing thats it I'm off home.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:12 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

In the last hour, my left arm has began aching like heck! and I sneezed so hard I nearly sh!t myself.....

Where's Rockgurl? is this the first signs of getting sick? if I start coughing thats it I'm off home.
As I have always heard from those who get them, that is normal...along with 3-5 days of feeling like shit- headaches, bodyaches and so on. Happy Flu shot!!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:12 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. You now have the flu. The very thing the vaccination is supposed to prevent

I don't understand the point. You get the shot, you get the flu.

You don't get the shot, you may get the flu.

So why waste time and money??
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:37 pm
Never right in the head!

I blame NC myself, if you had started this thread yesterday, I wouldn't of gotten the bloody thing!

Is there an antidote, or am I up sh!t creek without ney paddle?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

I blame NC myself, if you had started this thread yesterday, I wouldn't of gotten the bloody thing!

Is there an antidote, or am I up sh!t creek without ney paddle?
Now that's ironic. You have a flu shot then ask for an antidote

Sorry, just messing. I guess you'll have to ride it out. Get some Tylenol
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Guessing I will get a flu jab when I go back to the UK for pre-Xmas hols. They don't seem to have any vaccine here in NOVA just yet. I hear they are after Canadian vaccines, so we cannot have their cheaper drugs, but can have their vaccines whenthe US is desperate ? Hmmm.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road

I got my jab here in England On the 5th of October. As of today I am getting better but I have a nose that is sooo stuffed up that i cannot swallow, my ears constantly are popping like i'm on a plane going in for a landing, My throat is sore as heck and it feels like i've been screaming my head off, and I am run down as heck.

I usually do not get sick from the jab, just a sore arm however it did me in this year I actually missed a day of work, first time ever.

I'll still probably get it again though because this is still NOT worse that a full on case of flu w/vomiting and such.

Holly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.