British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   On the Florida Theme (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/florida-theme-359590/)

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Mar 6th 2006 10:14 pm

On the Florida Theme

Would you guys please elaborate on why you think Kissemmee/St Cloud and Orlando are so bad? On a serious note what do you think it would be like to live there?

No, I'm not a 'Disney Brit' or whatever that phrase was, it's OH's home and he's seriously talking about wanting to go back and settle there.

From my few weeks there, my gut reaction is 'you must be ****ing joking' but I thought we were going to visit family and do some parks not go house hunting! So I never really paid much attention.

He insists that I don't know what it's like - which to be fair, is true I suppose. I would really appreciate some British perspectives.

Jabba1 Mar 6th 2006 10:23 pm

Re: On the Florida Theme

It's overrun with tourists most of the year. It's also lousy with tourists most of the year. And did I forget to mention that tourisim in that area is getting out of hand.? :D

Ray Mar 6th 2006 10:30 pm

Its totally congested with traffic.... most of the time ..by driver who forget which side of the road they should be .. Everything is far overpriced as the market can take it, tourist don't know what the prices are elsewhere..
Property is built to a price ..not a quality.. The crime rate is quite high ..but the figures are carefully hidden ..
But get outside the main areas and it does improve ..

Patrick Mar 6th 2006 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jabba1
It's overrun with tourists most of the year. It's also lousy with tourists most of the year. And did I foget to mention that tourisim in that area is getting out of hand.? :D

Tourists wearing Liverpoop, Manchaser United and Arsehole shirts. The whole place is like Torremolinos, full of pubs and curry houses. Its little England in the sun but with the English on holiday so acting like assholes (which is great if your on vacation acting like an asshole but now you live there your view is slightly different)

Thydney Mar 6th 2006 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Would you guys please elaborate on why you think Kissemmee/St Cloud and Orlando are so bad? On a serious note what do you think it would be like to live there?

Hell on earth, even Sideshow Bob won't relocate there :D

AdobePinon Mar 7th 2006 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Patrick
...the English on [unwanted business trips] so acting like assholes...

Hey, that's me next week. :D

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 7th 2006 12:23 am

Its utter shite. Think Blackpool meets Costa Del Sol.

Myself, Thydney and Ray all live within an hour or two of the place and none of us would willingly and voluntarily get any closer.

Rushman Mar 7th 2006 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas

with a wee bit of the Alamo thrown in.

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 7th 2006 12:24 am

Originally Posted by rushman
with a wee bit of the Alamo thrown in.

The car hire company?

Patrick Mar 7th 2006 12:43 am

Leave Blackpool out of this, at least the Pleasure Beach is free

Rushman Mar 7th 2006 12:55 am

Thats not all, I went to Blackpool on a stag weekend and got crabs for free.

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 7th 2006 1:35 am

Good point. Actually Kissimee is far seedier than Blackpool ever was. The crime rate there is about 1.5 times the national average

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime....immee&state=FL

frrussre Mar 7th 2006 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles

No, I'm not a 'Disney Brit' or whatever that phrase was, it's OH's home and he's seriously talking about wanting to go back and settle there.

From my few weeks there, my gut reaction is 'you must be ****ing joking' but I thought we were going to visit family and do some parks not go house hunting! So I never really paid much attention.

He insists that I don't know what it's like - which to be fair, is true I suppose. I would really appreciate some British perspectives.

Horrible place & getting worse. Only reason to go there, is to take children to Disney/Universal/MGM etc. 48 hour max. Then leave, before it gets to you.

Reg. Frank R.

TRPardoe Mar 7th 2006 11:36 am

Myself, Thydney and Ray all live within an hour or two of the place and none of us would willingly and voluntarily get any closer.

You can add me to that list. I hate the place. Calamares and two veg, paid for in dollars.

I actually saw a Brit, walking, on International Drive with a knotted handkerchief on his head.

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 7th 2006 11:56 am

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
You can add me to that list. I hate the place. Calamares and two veg, paid for in dollars.

I actually saw a Brit, walking, on International Drive with a knotted handkerchief on his head.

Duly noted and added.

I'm not suprised. I personally blame the rise of the 300 quid Package Deal from Manchester and Stanstead thus allowing "Kev and Shaz" in their droves to visit the place for their 2 weeks in the sun instead of Torremolinos...trouble is they still want to drown in a sea of cheap booze and fags while nuking themselves in the intense sun and making complete prats of themselves.

Although, bizzarely and perversely - some would even say with a dash of irony - I quite liked the Brady Campaign ads they put in the British rags telling tourists not to piss off the locals as they'll shoot them.