British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Florida Immigration. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/florida-immigration-385975/)

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 20th 2006 5:16 pm

Florida Immigration.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385963

You are going to love this!

Big D Jul 20th 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Florida Immigration.

Originally Posted by Boiler

This has to be a wind up - all your favorites are right here!! :D

Ray Jul 20th 2006 7:42 pm

I am trying to resist the temptation.........

Tolos Jul 20th 2006 8:01 pm

Well as pathetic as their case is, I don't think it's fair to belittle someone's dreams and extinguish their hopes. All of us once wanted to get to the States to begin a new chapter in life, and it must be heartbreaking to know that your wishes are being denied by a complex bunch of bureaucratic red tape.

On another note, I hope he keeps the money rolling in at their Northern Ireland home, cos those people sure as hell ain't going to Florida.

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2006 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I am trying to resist the temptation.........

Awww go on....you know you want to.

Ray Jul 20th 2006 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Awww go on....you know you want to.

I just did ... but I was kind .. just a link ...

AmerLisa Jul 20th 2006 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I just did ... but I was kind .. just a link ...

You ole softie! :D

emz100 Jul 21st 2006 11:07 am

Found this forum on a websearch and thought I would ask for some advice didn't expect to get the piss taken for asking a question but if that keeps you all entertained fill your boots I have thick skin!

Although I have to say you must all have a bit to much time on your hands if you have nothing better to do.

I am sure you all had to start somewhere in your quest to move to the US and would have thought having been through all the work and heartache you would have been a bit more helpful.

Who knows whether we will get out to the US but I can tell you one thing for sure I am not going to let people on a chat forum put me off!

Good luck to all of you and I do truly mean that. One piece of advice try being nice you might find it helps make you a better person you might even like it!

Ray Jul 21st 2006 11:19 am

Originally Posted by emz100
Found this forum on a websearch and thought I would ask for some advice didn't expect to get the piss taken for asking a question but if that keeps you all entertained fill your boots I have thick skin! !

Don't take it too seriously ..but your story it similar to the one we get pretty much weekly here....Unfortunately people do not realize just how hard Immigration to the US is ... The failure rate is enormous ..but you can only try ..

emz100 Jul 21st 2006 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Don't take it too seriously ..but your story it similar to the one we get pretty much weekly here....Unfortunately people do not realize just how hard Immigration to the US is ... The failure rate is enormous ..but you can only try ..

No not taking it seriously, I can see your point about hearing same story. I am starting to see how hard immigration is. I just think if this forum is going to help people it might be best not to take the piss. I am thinking of people who might come on here looking for advice and not have thick skin they could get hurt.
I just miss my sister and my mum and dad miss their daughter. My sis can't move back home with her new hubby as he can't leave US as he has children there, but my sister is very homesick. So we decided to look into possibility of moving over there. If we don't get over then thats life and its not meant to be but I didn't expect to be ridiculed and made to look a fool for asking questions.
My hubby made a mistake when he was young and has paid the price for it, it doesn't make him a bad person. We all make mistakes in life and he has worked very hard to put it behind him and move on.

Anyway didn't mean to get so deep! But seriously if forums like this are going to offer help try and do it kindly.

Ray Jul 21st 2006 11:48 am

Originally Posted by emz100
No not taking it seriously, I can see your point about hearing same story. I am starting to see how hard immigration is. I just think if this forum is going to help people it might be best not to take the piss. I am thinking of people who might come on here looking for advice and not have thick skin they could get hurt.

Your right ..Some of us have got hard attitudes toward it .. but then we are in the know ..Your chances without the conviction are slim to zero until your sister get citizenship.. then she could fairly easy get her parents there with a years or so ..but sibling would take 13/14 years ...

An E-2 visa is a possibilty but will require a lot of capital bearing also in mind you have to get accommodation as well ..
You husband getting a work visa is a total no chance ...
Having visited Florida you no doubt believe its cheap place to live ..
Believe me its not....for those living here ..

TouristTrap Jul 21st 2006 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Having visited Florida you no doubt believe its cheap place to live ..
Believe me its not....for those living here ..

This has to be the biggest misconception about Florida by non-Floridian residents.

It is not cheap to live here at all.

TouristTrap Jul 21st 2006 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Your right ..Some of us have got hard attitudes toward it .. but then we are in the know ..Your chances without the conviction are slim to zero until your sister get citizenship.. then she could fairly easy get her parents there with a years or so ..but sibling would take 13/14 years ...

Better to get a wake up call on here, than spend thousands of dollars with an immigration attorney that is a shark.

emz100 Jul 21st 2006 12:36 pm

I know through my sis its not a cheap place to live yes its great when we go on hols there as it is cheaper for us to buy the usual things us tourists buy.

I am not looking at this and thinking its all going to be sunny weather and we're all going to live happily ever after.

If we ever do get over its going to be very hard work adapting to a new country and we're going to have to work hard, but I also know my hubby is a grafter and is not afraid of hard work. I will probably get knocked for saying this and told I don't know what I'm talking about but I truly believe if we can get over my kids will have a better life.

As I said I am no expert on this subject and am learning about it. I see you're point about better getting a wake up call on here, but I think for new comers you could do it with a little bit more compassion. Also if you all truly did want to give me a wake up call then why was it not done on original thread why go and have a snigger on another thread that just by chance I happened to find.

Celsius Jul 21st 2006 12:48 pm

To the OP:

Have you looked at the FAQ about ways to immigrate to the US at the top of this forum?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330696