Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida fact-finding tour

Florida fact-finding tour

Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
We are just giving her the heads up about what to expect. If she is coming to the states with a british passport for less than 90 days she does not need a visa. I know that. But you do not want to be coming here on the VWP to many times in a single year. CPB does not really like that. Try to put your self in the POEs shoes. Oh we are not being sarcastic we are just trying to help. How about you helping the OP since Me, Ozzidoc, Ian-mstn, Duncan Roberts, and Sir-eccles obviously can't help her. I would suggest that everyone just lay of the visa talk and really help the OP.
A young woman who cuts hair in the salon I frequent was dating a British guy. He was coming over here several times a year (don't know how the heck he got so much time off work). Anyway, eventually the authorities just stopped him from entering and he was sent back home. I don't know if they thought he was trying to look for unemployment here or not.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:38 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stevebar
I Don't wear knickers nor twisted one's.

Not one of these people is bringing any thing of merit to her attention, you are all making assumptions ( and it is not they..she only mentions herself..I believe she is or has just gone through a separation).

She does not say she want's to live in the US ANYWHERE. You all make the assumption she does and do not actually help or answer her question at all.

Do you regularly travel back and forth on the visa waiver and get hassle each time or are you perpetuating what so many people say on this forum without actually having any factual first hand basis for what you say?

If she intends to spend 6 month's in the US over a year in a vacation home or rental she can on her Brit passport/VWP. As I said before treat her with respect it doesn.t need every one of you to get your panties in a twist yet again and keep bringing the same irrelevant bumf to her attention eh ljaw2002uk!!

Nice tip Sir eccles,I agree slightly ( but only once she's only 50 and dementia's probably not set in yet),but I don't think she meant about Visa's.
If you are not happy with our answers than you should help the OP instead of criticizing us for the help we are giving her. Oh and We are not being disrespectful to the OP. We are just giving her the cold hard facts about coming here. Coming to the US six months of the year may be like living here to the CBP officers. Even US Citizens on this web sit have even been hassled by and have been asked a lot of questions by CPB officers. This is my last post to you. I am not going to get myself banned from this web site talking to you.

Last edited by KetteringEnglandRocks2005; Nov 1st 2011 at 11:58 pm. Reason: Removing so and adding the
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If she intends to spend 6 month's in the US over a year in a vacation home or rental she can on her Brit passport/VWP.
You declare it as if it's a right. It's a privilege, with no judicial overview on its removal whatsoever.

Last edited by fatbrit; Nov 1st 2011 at 11:53 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:49 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Derrygal
A young woman who cuts hair in the salon I frequent was dating a British guy. He was coming over here several times a year (don't know how the heck he got so much time off work). Anyway, eventually the authorities just stopped him from entering and he was sent back home. I don't know if they thought he was trying to look for unemployment here or not.
I think it may also be that he might of wanted to move in with the young woman and may be evening thinking of marrying her. but you can never tell what CPB offices are thinking. This was what I was saying could happen to the OP if she comes to the US to many times using the VWP. She would just be sent home after a while and banned from coming here.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:14 am
Just Joined

stevebar is an unknown quantity at this point

Kettering : I have pm'd her to help, I hope I have not said anything dis-respectful to you or anyone so why would you get yourself band? ( banned maybe)

Fatbrit : I do not remember writing anywhere declaring she had a right. I would not say it's a privilege( the 90 day stay ??) though I do believe the British are allies with the US that is why we are on the visa waiver programme and that once you are accepted ( is that the privilege bit ??) they let you travel as per their agreed terms.

I do agree if you step outside the terms of the VWP and overstay your welcome they may ( readrobably will) remove it.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise spending the whole 90 days on the VWP frequently is more likely to get bounced at POE at some stage though.

And buying isn't cheap, insurance, property taxes, general upkeep, potential HOA fee's and when the market is in the sewer, it's not always cheaper or wise to buy, especially if you aren't going to be there to maintain it and having to rely on a management company. So yeah, you could be pissing good money for bad.

Exit strategy is a wise point, if you get bounced and denied entry, what are you going to do with the place that you can't visit? Flogging a place in the US is much more expensive than it is in the UK.

Obviously you couldn't give a shit about sensible advice, so rock on, buy some gaff and love it up.

It's not like any of us have any vested interest, nor give a shit. :/

Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.

Why buy when you can rent!! Why rent if you can buy...DOH.. so you don't throw your money away,,HUH.

A fully planned exit strategy..it's only the US, she's not planning " DESERT STORM".LMFAO.

Ian-mstn : What's wrong with owning a number of properties around the globe?

Duncan Roberts : " from what youv'e heard" suggest you don't listen to hearsay and visit yourself then give a creditable opinion ( that is what she is asking for) not shallow sarcasm.

Sir-eccles : see above.. maybe a Sir should treat a 50 yr old Lady with respect and stop answering her query with another pointless question.

KetheringEnglandRocks : I think she may be getting to know that every one on this site is a visa expert by now...yawn...is someone gonna help her and give a decent reply.

Oh the light bulb just started glowing...maybe none of you have ever actually been to Florida...maybe your all just spend your time on a web page conjuring up sarcastic replies..mmmDOH..LOL.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Kettering : I have pm'd her to help, I hope I have not said anything dis-respectful to you or anyone so why would you get yourself band? ( banned maybe)
Not a good thing to do, because bad advice or wrong advice can't be corrected.

As for the VWP, nothing to do with being allies, it's to do with the number of people who aren't getting into dodge once in the country, the number goes up, the country gets dropped from the list. The advantage to someone getting a B2 for extended or regular stays over using the VWP, if they get bounced on a visa, they have the right to appeal the decision, which they have waived for using the VWP.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Get somewhere on the Keys so if you have Esta or a visa denied you have the option of the boat from Cuba.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Hi Bob nice to meet you too'

Is the post intended at me or Joy? Is your slander in two sentences intended for me or her. I must admit I do not like or take your comment's kindly as a moderator maybe you should entertain some self control.

Maybe the advice on housing which you are now giving should be expanded upon as it is the first that someone has offered that is getting near relevant to the original question.

Regards

Steve
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Kettering : I have pm'd her to help,
All is explained -- a realtor.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Hi Bob'

Sorry got interrupted, so just another last point I missed.

Countries become allies for many reasons, the main ones being the core values and standards that a country has and enforces.These values of security,lawfulness,counter-terrorism,documentation stds,border enforcement, data sharing and well basically getting along is why the UK is in the programme rather than a few to many Brits "getting into dodge".

Regards

Steve

PS Fatbrit i'm not a realtor - I'm a property developer / property rentals.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is the post intended at me or Joy? Is your slander in two sentences intended for me or her.
Just an observation - but it seems he's talking to you... since in every post he's made in this thread, he quotes you and not anyone else.

I must admit I do not like or take your comment's kindly as a moderator maybe you should entertain some self control.
Since you're still a bit new to BE, it'd be helpful if you know that there are many forum moderators... and most of them post in forums that they don't moderate. Just sayin'!

That said, and to answer your specific question... there's nothing wrong with it.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:41 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bob nice to meet you too'

Is the post intended at me or Joy? Is your slander in two sentences intended for me or her. I must admit I do not like or take your comment's kindly as a moderator maybe you should entertain some self control.

Maybe the advice on housing which you are now giving should be expanded upon as it is the first that someone has offered that is getting near relevant to the original question.

Regards

Steve
Careful with those mis-placed apostrophes, Steve - you're beginning to look like an utter cretin.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:07 am
Septicity

Couldn't pass the exam, eh?

Sure you can fix up the OP, though.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 3:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hi Bob'

Sorry got interrupted, so just another last point I missed.

Countries become allies for many reasons, the main ones being the core values and standards that a country has and enforces.These values of security,lawfulness,counter-terrorism,documentation stds,border enforcement, data sharing and well basically getting along is why the UK is in the programme rather than a few to many Brits "getting into dodge".

Regards

Steve

And? Immigration wise and getting into the US, the US couldn't give a flying boob that the UK might be one of the closest allies, or that they share so much. Unless you're a USC, you're just "one of them", an outsider. Simple as that.

So getting ones eggs sorted before dropping a wedge of cash is just something sensible, or at least understanding the potential pitfalls that one might face.

Something that the OP was asking about...especially most of the posters here don't have any invested reasons to give out duff or misleading information, whether by choice or ignorance.

And yes, my previous 2 posts were directed at you, hence being replies to your post. Nothing wrong with them, you were giving poor advice, I was countering them with why they were poor advice.

I've yet to be corrected by anyone else, unlike some others...so I'll let the OP draw own conclusions from that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.