Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida driving license.

Florida driving license.

Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:56 am
Just Joined

kidgodspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Florida driving license.

Hey guys, I've been living in Florida for a few months now, have my green card and social security, also have my Florida ID. But the time has come to get a full license so I can purchase a car, but while looking online a lot of the information seems to be very contradictory about what I actually need to do to get a license... I've even called my local DMV and got a very vague answer. Basically I have a full British driving license so am able to get a Florida license without completing the written and behind the wheel test? Because I've basically been told two different things, even the DMV have said it 'shouldnt' be a problem transferring my license I just need to schedule an appointment with them and supply the appropriate paperwork...

Can anyone who has maybe gone through this situation explain a little clearer?

Last edited by kidgodspeed; Feb 14th 2017 at 5:58 am.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:12 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida driving license.

You will have to take the test. Theory and practical. If you passed a UK test, you have nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Ok, so why are some websites and even the person I spoke to on the phone saying I just need to apply for a license? The whole thing is very confusing and I don't know if I need to be revising for a written test while also planning to take a practice test, which will require me borrowing a car from someone to do so.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 6:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kidgodspeed
Ok, so why are some websites and even the person I spoke to on the phone saying I just need to apply for a license? The whole thing is very confusing and I don't know if I need to be revising for a written test while also planning to take a practice test, which will require me borrowing a car from someone to do so.
Yep. Study the FL rules, and borrow a car for the test.

ps I do not think you have to have a licence to buy a car. but i am not sure.

Last edited by RICH; Feb 14th 2017 at 6:27 am.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

You will apply for a license, and part of the application is you take a written and driving test, simples.
Yup borrow a car, make sure you bring the insurance paperwork to the test as it will be checked.
You can even use a driving school and just use the car for the test, its what I did, I just booked the car for 2 hours, had a pootle about to practice, took the test, done.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:45 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to it with the driving test here so I imagine Florida is the same. I did my driving test over 20 years ago in the U.K. and I can't remenber how long it was but I'm sure it was more than the 10 minutes it was here. I did mine in heavy snow here in Washington so doing it in Florida must be a breeze.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Read the DMV's website and bring everything required. Likely your green card, proof of insurance, proof of residency.

They will turn you away if something is missing.

It may be wise to do a theory test beforehand. The trickier questions for me were around blood alcohol levels and how many points in x scenario. There are free apps for this.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Others have given you all the info you need. You will have to do a road "test" (it may not actually be on "the road"), and it is an insult to the word "test". .... Stop at any stop signs you encounter, and at any red lights, and don't run over more than one pedestrian, and you'll pass, no problem.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thank you all. It's just odd that there is very contradicting information out there about what you need to do to get a license.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thank you all. It's just odd that there is very contradicting information out there about what you need to do to get a license.
The only information of which you should take any notice (other than the sound advice from the good folks here, of course!) will be on the state department of motor vehicles site:

Florida Drivers License - Non US Citizens
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is likely that much of what you're reading is written for the benefit of people arriving in Florida from within the USA, in which case they can swap their existing state-issued DL for a Florida DL with minimal formalities and without a road test.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The only information of which you should take any notice (other than the sound advice from the good folks here, of course!) will be on the state department of motor vehicles site:

Florida Drivers License - Non US Citizens
You see, that's the page I've been told is wrong. For a start the DATA test is for teenagers only and when I rang the DMV she said as a British driving license holder I am not considered a first time driver. Which is where a lot of the confusion sets in, as that page seems to be aimed at people who have never had a driving license anywhere. Searching online about getting a license when you have a foriegn one already seems to suggest the tests will be skipped over for the most part
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

You see, that's the page I've been told is wrong. For a start the DATA test is for teenagers only and when I rang the DMV she said as a British driving license holder I am not considered a first time driver. Which is where a lot of the confusion sets in, as that page seems to be aimed at people who have never had a driving license anywhere. Searching online about getting a license when you have a foriegn one already seems to suggest the tests will be skipped over for the most part
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Is the official site.

The other states at the bottom of the page "DMVFlorida.org is an independent organization not affiliated with the state of Florida , the Florida DMV, the Department of Motor Vehicles, or DHSMV "
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:42 pm

See post #11, above. .... And some states do waive tests for people from certain specific other countries, but usually ones that drive on the right.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Yeah there are a lot of sites which claim to carry official information, but in fact are nothing to do with the DMV at all. The website for my local DMV office also has very different information to what others have said on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.