Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Driving Licence

Florida Driving Licence

Old Jun 29th 2014, 2:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Driving Licence

Originally Posted by londonboy450
I am just need something sorted. I have a learners permit and on a temp visa. I was stopped by a cop for a small speeding infraction and he happily said that if I got a citation I would be banned from obtaining a full US driving license anywhere and banned for life from driving anywhere in America. I just was let off with a warning but still worried about driving since that day. I am scared if I lose my license I cant drive anymore

Is it true that if I get a citation that I will lose the ability to drive and not able to get a U.S driving license anywhere
It is true that if you lose your licence you can't drive anymore.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If you passed your UK driving test, why did you get a learner's permit in FL? You only need the learner's permit if you didn't hold a full license in your country of origin.
This. End of story.
...... Is it true that if I get a citation that I will lose the ability to drive and not able to get a U.S driving license anywhere?
He was yanking your chain. Even habitual drunks rarely get there license suspended for more than a few months, and even then "suspended" means they can still drive to work, to college, to church, to the doctor, to get their hair cut, to take their hamster for therapy, etc.

Now go get rid of the learners permit, which you should never have been given, and book whatever tests are required in Florida to obtain a full license.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 29th 2014 at 3:31 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 6:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

If you passed your UK driving test, why did you get a learner's permit in FL? You only need the learner's permit if you didn't hold a full license in your country of origin.
I received a learners permit in MA. AFAIAA it was the only way I could take my theory and practical road test. Totally broken system though.

I worried about it at the time, but looking back I realise no one else (not least the cops) gives a flying monkeys about such things. No wonder there's so many unlicensed drivers on the road when it's hardly enforced.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Although, I have a full uk license, the DMV lady said I needed a learners permit despite my UK license. I did have to do the road signs /theory test and driving test
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Although, I have a full uk license, the DMV lady said I needed a learners permit despite my UK license. I did have to do the road signs /theory test and driving test
Same in Georgia. I went to the DDS (apparently is was called the DMV before) and even tho I have a full UK license I had to be given an Instructional (learners) Permit. I did the theory test on the PCs and then got that. Then have to book a test to get the full license.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He was yanking your chain.
The police in Atlanta do that too... In a rental vehicle I had parked up and a young lady in a clapped out Volvo found parking behind me a challenge (the space was only about 3 times the size of her car). She drove into the back of the rental vehicle. I had to get a police report for the rental company. Two weeks into working in the USA and I had to call 911. The officer said he was going to have to take us both to jail, then he must have seen my face and told us he was only joking. Very funny, these police chaps.

Last edited by Hanco; Oct 2nd 2014 at 8:36 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

londonboy450 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hanco
Same in Georgia. I went to the DDS (apparently is was called the DMV before) and even tho I have a full UK license I had to be given an Instructional (learners) Permit. I did the theory test on the PCs and then got that. Then have to book a test to get the full license.
Yep that what I did, I when to our FL Tax collector's office(DMV is now in tax collecters office). They gave me a learners permit after i passed the road rules signs test I got the license and then I did the road driving test. The advantage over UK is that the appointments are free to book and then I can take the tests both on the same day.
Driver License | Indian River County | Vero Beach, FL