Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Have you considered bypassing the plebeians and moving straight to the patricians! Perhaps a chat with the school superintendent is in order.

Ian
I tried that already, wasn't of any help unfortunately. Good news is the permit has arrived just now and the test is booked for a week today, unless I can find a cancellation spot. 😊
Old Mar 30th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Not all states do both in the same day. Where I formerly lived in NYS, you took the written test and then the driver's test was scheduled for a different day.
In Florida you can. I was quoting from my own experience from living in Florida
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
In Florida you can. I was quoting from my own experience from living in Florida
You said "Orange County" and you are currently marked as living in California.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

You said "Orange County" and you are currently marked as living in California.
Ah I see I was referring to Orange County in Florida. I always forget there is more than one and can see the confusion with now living in California
Old Mar 30th 2017, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You said "Orange County" and you are currently marked as living in California. .....
Ah I see. .... I was referring to Orange County in Florida. I always forget there is more than one and can see the confusion with now living in California. .....
There is an Orange County in NC too, and also Virginia, New York, and Texas. There may be others.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is an Orange County in NC too, and also Virginia, New York, and Texas. There may be others.
Common as muck
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And they don't even grow oranges in the Village of Florida in Orange County, NY

But they are noted for their onions:

"Florida is in a farming area known for the vast onion fields (it calls itself the Onion Capital of the World) in the nearby Black Dirt Region."

It has a population of just under 3,000.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 30th 2017 at 6:31 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 6:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

And they don't even grow oranges in the Village of Florida in Orange County, NY ....
Tell that to the Scots-Irish.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Driving licenses in counties on the mid-west coast of Florida are issued the same day as passing the practical part of the test IF you go to a DMV office. There are non-DMV offices that offer limited license services, such as driving test, maybe this is why the OP has had to wait?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Driving licenses in counties on the mid-west coast of Florida are issued the same day as passing the practical part of the test IF you go to a DMV office. There are non-DMV offices that offer limited license services, such as driving test, maybe this is why the OP has had to wait?
The DMV I went to can issue the same day, but for some reason which they did not even know why, they cannot print mine off. I took and passed the road test (if you can call it that....you all weren't kidding how ridiculous it is!) this morning but again the system couldn't print my license no matter what way she tried it. It could possibly be to do with having no ssn so it has to be double checked by the state (read something along those lines)? It seemed to be out of the norm for the DMV I went to as well.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
The DMV I went to can issue the same day, but for some reason which they did not even know why, they cannot print mine off. I took and passed the road test (if you can call it that....you all weren't kidding how ridiculous it is!) this morning but again the system couldn't print my license no matter what way she tried it. It could possibly be to do with having no ssn so it has to be double checked by the state (read something along those lines)? It seemed to be out of the norm for the DMV I went to as well.

I was told that I could not start the process until I had an SSN, they didn't need to see the card, just the number. After several trips to the local SS office they gave me a number...and the card dropped in the mailbox before I had a chance to get down to the DMV.
The only other way they would issue a license was by using my I-95 details which, as a PR, was something I didn't have.
My local office wallahs did appear to be knowledgeable on issuing licenses to furriners and were aware of the requirements, mebbe your county doesn't come across candidates without SSN's too often? I was quite surprised that they didn't want to know about me until I had that SSN in my grubby mitts because, according to the FLHSMV site, lack of an SSN should not hinder license procurement.

Last edited by zzrmark; Apr 6th 2017 at 11:35 am.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Just to add, as far as US officialdom is concerned, you don't exist until you have an SSN... then, when you do have it, none of their systems seem to recognize it and you spend half an hour waiting whilst they contact somewhere to confirm that it does exist...
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Just to add, as far as US officialdom is concerned, you don't exist until you have an SSN... then, when you do have it, none of their systems seem to recognize it and you spend half an hour waiting whilst they contact somewhere to confirm that it does exist...
Thanks for the heads up, sounds like you have had as much 'fun' with the whole system too
I don't qualify for an ssn (E2 Spouse) but have applied for a work permit last month so I have the joy of trying to get one when/if that is approved. On another note....how do you find living in Sarasota? We haven't been over that side of Florida yet and I am curious on how people find life in other areas of Florida?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
Thats normal for visa holders whether you have a SSN or not. Both myself (no SSN as on H4 visa) and my husband (with a SSN on H1B visa) weren't issued our first DL's and just given a letter and had to wait for them to arrive in the mail. It's an immigration check apparently, although not sure why it takes so long as my daughter was left in limbo in between an expired visa and green card being issued but they checked via e-verify and issued hers there and then. Renewals were issued on the day.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Thats normal for visa holders whether you have a SSN or not. Both myself (no SSN as on H4 visa) and my husband (with a SSN on H1B visa) weren't issued our first DL's and just given a letter and had to wait for them to arrive in the mail. It's an immigration check apparently, although not sure why it takes so long as my daughter was left in limbo in between an expired visa and green card being issued but they checked via e-verify and issued hers there and then. Renewals were issued on the day.
Ahh thanks for clearing that up, I was made to feel like i'm the only person who's had that issue before lol! I was contemplating how easy it would be to have the photo changed once it arrives (pure vanity because it will look horrendous since I didn't realise they would take another)....if it meant waiting for a new card again I will be less vain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.