Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Hi,
So i've had a look through previous posts but cannot find any that seem to relate.

Background story -
I have an E2 spouse visa, no ssn as I do not have a work permit right now. I have a UK driving license.
I went to my local DMV two weeks ago, took the written part of the test with no issue. They couldn't print off the learner's license in the office and said it had to be issued by the state (she tried three different ways and the system declined it), so I was given a printed sheet as a temporary permit. Anyway I then booked the actual driving test, to be told on the day I have to wait for the actual license in the post? It hasn't arrived yet

Has anyone else had this experience? If so how long did it take to arrive?

I know two weeks isn't a huge amount of time, i'm just frustrated because our daughters school requires the license for proof of ID within 30 days. Going on the fact that both local DMV only have test slots a week in advance I will not have the ID in time. Unless the permit is sufficient if/when it arrives.

Cup of tea and a biscuit to anyone who got through that! Everything is super new
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Florida Drivers License - issued by state?

Was there a reason why you didn't do both together?

When I did mine, both tests together, it took about 3 weeks for the driving license to arrive. However my children's school didn't need to see it, I used other forms of ID. This was Orange County.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine the school will only accept a driver's license as ID. You could try getting just a state ID, or use your passport, that is a government-issued photo ID.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It would not surprise me at all if the school accepted the drivers' licence as ID. It is the primary form of ID for most Americans, the majority of whom don't have passports, and not all states have a State ID (and even if they did few Americans would opt for those unless compelled).

Jellybean_17, the school should accept a number of different documents besides a drivers' licence, I am sure you have asked and they have provided that? Is this for proof of residency inside their intake area?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
.... not all states have a State ID (and even if they did few Americans would opt for those unless compelled). ....
A state ID is a drivers license without driving privileges, and I have never heard of a state not issuing one when asked, by, among others, people who are elderly or disabled and can't drive.

That said I agree with the advice for the OP to use her passport, even if it requires a little bit of jumping up and down. She could also use her British licence it they insist on seeing a drivers license. ..... I used to use my green card when asked for ID (it is a photo ID issued by the federal government), mostly for my own amusement (I always had my NC DL in my wallet too) because I am convinced that most Americans have no idea what a green card looks like. In maybe 70-100 times I was asked for ID and showed my green card, I was only asked on two occasions what it was.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 29th 2017 at 12:58 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Was there a reason why you didn't do both together?

When I did mine, both tests together, it took about 3 weeks for the driving license to arrive. However my children's school didn't need to see it, I used other forms of ID. This was Orange County.

Not all states do both in the same day. Where I formerly lived in NYS, you took the written test and then the driver's test was scheduled for a different day.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are millions living in the US without DL or Passports who manage to send their children to school.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There are millions living in the US without DL or Passports who manage to send their children to school.
But most have their matrรญcula consular.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But most have their matrรญcula consular.
That may be racist, most things are.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. I was allowed to enrol her in the school with my current ID but they require either the license or state ID to prove we live in the area (again provided numerous other documents for this too but this is clay county rules). I haven't requested a state ID yet purely because I thought I would have the license by now.
I assumed I would be able to just do both tests and then get the license like most others seem to have done so I'm confused by this issued by the state part too. I wasn't sure if it was an issue specific to the type of visa I hold and not having an ssn?
I guess I will need to go obtain the other ID which hopefully they can print off. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Thanks for the help ๐Ÿ‘
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:17 pm

.... That may be racist, most things are.
Objective, demonstrable facts are now racist?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Objective, demonstrable facts are now racist?
They have been for some time.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:43 pm

They have been for some time.
That's deplorable.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
Thanks for all the replies. I was allowed to enrol her in the school with my current ID but they require either the license or state ID to prove we live in the area (again provided numerous other documents for this too but this is clay county rules). I haven't requested a state ID yet purely because I thought I would have the license by now.
I assumed I would be able to just do both tests and then get the license like most others seem to have done so I'm confused by this issued by the state part too. I wasn't sure if it was an issue specific to the type of visa I hold and not having an ssn?
I guess I will need to go obtain the other ID which hopefully they can print off. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Thanks for the help ๐Ÿ‘
Good Luck with the ID. Perhaps the school will extend the waiting period if you show them the receipt for the driver's permit.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
... our daughters school requires the license for proof of ID within 30 days.
Have you considered bypassing the plebeians and moving straight to the patricians! Perhaps a chat with the school superintendent is in order.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.