Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Car Insurance

Florida Car Insurance

Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future
Default Re: Florida Car Insurance

Originally Posted by watchcamFloridabound
Thanks, that is really interesting. It would probably work for us as I would need something to fit the kids in anyway - so may go for a Voyager for the wife (although they are so badly built - had one until recently here in the UK)
Its hard to find something large for a family which at the same time is well built and fun to drive. I might have a look at a Cadillac Escalade but they look pretty cheap inside?
I really should sort my priorities out and cars should be further down the list? It the fun bits though that make this move worthwhile.

Just to ask - how long have you had a US licence to get those sort of quotes out of interest? Thanks!
Got our licenses in 2010, just after we arrived in Michigan. Company was paying for a rental car for a year, so only needed to get insurance in 2011 and therefore had over a years worth of credit history.

CWT
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

watchcamFloridabound is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm - I wonder if I can get car rental for a year first. I thought you had to get a US licence after 30 days. Assume you had a rental with a new US licence?

On the credit history - what sort of thing can you do to get credit history? I am confused how you get credit with no credit history if you know what I mean?
Would the fact that I start paying my bills help? (water etc)

My wife checked her credit history as she is American and its blank as she left so long ago
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hmm - I wonder if I can get car rental for a year first. I thought you had to get a US licence after 30 days. Assume you had a rental with a new US licence?

On the credit history - what sort of thing can you do to get credit history? I am confused how you get credit with no credit history if you know what I mean?
Would the fact that I start paying my bills help? (water etc)

My wife checked her credit history as she is American and its blank as she left so long ago
Read the wiki. A lot of your questions are covered in there, up top.

And no, paying utilities don't help, only late payments are reported for dings.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Couldnt see anything up there on how to build a credit history but will have a proper look later. Thanks!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:14 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Couldnt see anything up there on how to build a credit history but will have a proper look later. Thanks!
You might find this useful: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fatbri...it_and_Finance
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

You have to get your FL license WITHIN 30 days, not AFTER. Every state has it's own timeline. You will pay more to rent a car that what car insurance costs, also for the best rental deals you will have to change car every 4 weeks.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
You have to get your FL license WITHIN 30 days, not AFTER. Every state has it's own timeline. You will pay more to rent a car that what car insurance costs, also for the best rental deals you will have to change car every 4 weeks.
Thats what I meant, should have put day 29.
By cheaper I am thinking including the cost of a car as I will be paying cash for a car to buy so renting (or leasing if can find an inc insurance deal?) taking depreciation into account also might work if the insurance costs don't come out high that way also.

A quick google found a large family sized car to rent is £110 per week including insurance. If insurance is going to cost $2k per year that means I can drive a rental car for £300 per month and hang on to my cash. Would be boring though and wouldnt get me on the insurance ladder of course.

That same rental car to buy new from a dealer would cost me the best part of £300 and I would need a deposit so in some ways makes sense. At least I could change it a lot! Food for thought...
Old Jun 15th 2013, 2:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got the cash, still get car finance. Can pay most of it straight off and keep minimal amount going for 12 months. Good wy to build credit history.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Superb, thanks for that. It's enough to put you off going!?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've got the cash, still get car finance. Can pay most of it straight off and keep minimal amount going for 12 months. Good wy to build credit history.
Sounds like a good way to go. Was just reading the finance link posted by Sue. Seems like I need to wait though to even get car finance.

It's incredible to think if I has a SSN and went to a car dealer to buy a $20k car and put down $15k deposit (to establish credit history instead of paying the whole amount) I wouldn't get finance?!

I do wonder how the country ended up such a mess with such strict finance rules?

Will have to work with it though so accept it is the way it is.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Car finance is the easiest to get. Finance the whole thing, pay most of it off straight away leaving nominal amount for 12 months. Just check there isn't a early pay out penalty first.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Car finance is the easiest to get. Finance the whole thing, pay most of it off straight away leaving nominal amount for 12 months. Just check there isn't a early pay out penalty first.
In your experience is that something that could be done pretty much as i arrive?
Keen to get the credit score built asap. The link suggests it might be 6 months weight.

The other thing that surprises me if i were to put down a 60% deposit from day one (with no credit history) a bank would refuse to give a mortgage?
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Depends how much of a deposit you put down. Car finance is easy to get. You just won't get a great rate, which is why you want to make sure there isn't a penalty for over payments and pay most of it off as soon as, to minimise interest.

As for mortgage, all depends on local market. Some places it might not be a problem, in others it probably would be.

Anyway, you wouldn't want to buy a house for at least a year anyway, so by then you'd have some credit history, so moot point.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info - sounds fair enough. happy to pay high rates if needed to get ball rolling.

I am not personally in a rush to buy somewhere but my wife on the other hand seems to be on a mission to have our own place asap.
I like the flexibility of living in a rental as we will keep our house in the UK so still 'on the ladder' as far as I am concerned.