Forum Regular

watchcamFloridabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Florida Car Insurance

Originally Posted by audio
Putnam County
Reiter Insurance Agents
Contact info: Lynn Gonzalez 386-698-2400 or 386-467-2068

They mainly use Progressive
Thank you so much! Will try these guys too.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
There are plenty of independant insurance agents everywhere
I married mine ...
like your style!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Yep, what Ray says. You will see agents everywhere. Most have small offices in strip malls, next to supermarkets etc etc. Maybe if you share which area/city you are moving to someone here may know of a local agent they use that they can give you the phone number for.

I once got someone in touch with my local agent in NC. I gave them her telephone number and they called her from the UK.
Thanks

I am either going to be in Boca Raton area or Orlando / Davenport. Depends on which job I take. Still to be decided but leaning towards Orlando/Davenport area as so much better value than Boca Raton it seems.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by watchcamFloridabound
Thank you, this sounds promising. Will look them up and give them a call later in the week. Tough couple of days at work coming up so will park it till then but sounds good. I think you can only use UK licence for 30 days?
Yup you have to do your tests within 30 days. It was when renewing after 6 months it went up, with the reason given as having a US license!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
Yup you have to do your tests within 30 days. It was when renewing after 6 months it went up, with the reason given as having a US license!
How strange! I am just keen to know how high this is going to go when i ask for quotes on some exotic cars. Going to be interesting!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Hi All,
I am planning on emmigratng to Florida later in the ear and putting together some budgets.
I cannot find any car nsurance company over there willing to quote for car insurance. I understand i need to change to a Florida licence after 30 days but I cannot find ou how much it will cost for the insurance.
Does anyonwpe knw a friendly broker or any tips?

Thanks
Paul
Take a look at einsurance, they are a comparison web site, although geico won't insure you because of no credit history. I am on my second six months and they still won't quote me.
I went to all state insurance with 15 years no claims from England ,had all paperwork they asked for and they still would not give me any discounts.
I ended up with progressive for the first 6 months costing me $1200 full coverage, I shopped around on my second six months and paid $777 for the same coverage through einsurance this is on a 2007 ford focus owned outright, apparently it makes a difference if you own it or make payments on it.
Hope this helps
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tipex
Take a look at einsurance, they are a comparison web site, although geico won't insure you because of no credit history. I am on my second six months and they still won't quote me.
I went to all state insurance with 15 years no claims from England ,had all paperwork they asked for and they still would not give me any discounts.
I ended up with progressive for the first 6 months costing me $1200 full coverage, I shopped around on my second six months and paid $777 for the same coverage through einsurance this is on a 2007 ford focus owned outright, apparently it makes a difference if you own it or make payments on it.
Hope this helps
Thanks, much appreciated. All these tips are helping.
So odd about the credit history thing - i just don't see how a lack of credit history makes any difference to these companies. Managing ones finances sensibly without the use of credit seems to penalise?
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, much appreciated. All these tips are helping.
So odd about the credit history thing - i just don't see how a lack of credit history makes any difference to these companies. Managing ones finances sensibly without the use of credit seems to penalise?
Aye, but they don't care. Everything seems to evolve around your credit history. Daft as it is.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Reiters which I mentioned earlier insured me with a company and a couple of months down the road they realised I did not have a SSN, therefore no credit history and no previous car ownership. They binned me straight away but Progressive took me on.
What a crazy system. I only went to Amica because they were a little cheaper.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

I guess it will be a year or two of pain and hopefully it will be sensible then.
I will just build it in to the whole relocation cost so not that bothered.
Will give the suggestions a call at the weekend.
My concern is if I go for something really powerful they will just want a stupid amount so keen to find out a price to put my mind at rest.
Will let everyone know how I get on and thanks for the help!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is if I go for something really powerful they will just want a stupid amount so keen to find out a price to put my mind at rest.
You keep talking about "powerful," etc., why don't you just give us a clue as to what you are thinking of, so that those with similar vehicles can advise you from their experience (and let you know if you'll ever get it out of second gear in the US). Maserati? Lamborghini? Souped-up Mini?
Old Jun 13th 2013, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You keep talking about "powerful," etc., why don't you just give us a clue as to what you are thinking of, so that those with similar vehicles can advise you from their experience (and let you know if you'll ever get it out of second gear in the US). Maserati? Lamborghini? Souped-up Mini?
Not decided yet. A Hemi Jeep, 911 / convertible, Range Rover / Sport, 500SL, H2 Hummer, Hemi Challenger ....

I like classics too so might lean that way instead E30 M3 cab is very tempting.

If I pay 5 grand for insurance though it might be be a Civic though!

Re getting it out of 2nd gear there are plenty of long straight roads
Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not decided yet. A Hemi Jeep, 911 / convertible, Range Rover / Sport, 500SL, H2 Hummer, Hemi Challenger ....
All but the 911 are crap, plus you don't want a soft top in a humid area, it'll be minging, that's what AC is for.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

I like classics too so might lean that way instead E30 M3 cab is very tempting.

If I pay 5 grand for insurance though it might be be a Civic though!

Re getting it out of 2nd gear there are plenty of long straight roads
Be aware, to insure some classics EVERYONE with a drivers license in the household is required to have their own car. We have a 65 Mustang and a Dodge Journey. They won't insure the Mustang as a classic unless we have another car for the wife. Even though she doesn't actually drive either car. We currently pay +-$300 for the Mustang and about $600 for the Dodge. If we did get another car, the Mustang would be around $250 for the year.

CWT
Old Jun 14th 2013, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 100weight
Be aware, to insure some classics EVERYONE with a drivers license in the household is required to have their own car. We have a 65 Mustang and a Dodge Journey. They won't insure the Mustang as a classic unless we have another car for the wife. Even though she doesn't actually drive either car. We currently pay +-$300 for the Mustang and about $600 for the Dodge. If we did get another car, the Mustang would be around $250 for the year.

CWT
Thanks, that is really interesting. It would probably work for us as I would need something to fit the kids in anyway - so may go for a Voyager for the wife (although they are so badly built - had one until recently here in the UK)
Its hard to find something large for a family which at the same time is well built and fun to drive. I might have a look at a Cadillac Escalade but they look pretty cheap inside?
I really should sort my priorities out and cars should be further down the list? It the fun bits though that make this move worthwhile.

Just to ask - how long have you had a US licence to get those sort of quotes out of interest? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.