Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida Car Insurance

Florida Car Insurance

Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida Car Insurance

Originally Posted by watchcamFloridabound
Thanks for the tips - will bare that in mind. The insurance system is very different on kevels of cover it seems?
Yes.

End of the day, it's your lack of US driving history and no US credit history that have the biggest impact on the rate you get and not having a SSN is the biggest reason why online quotes won't work or be worth anything.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

My answer disappeared for some reason. Sorry if it pops up twice. Will try progressive. I think i might have already, did you do it online? All online sites i have tried have refused so far to quote.
I rang Geico and they were no use.
My wife is American so not sorted visa yet but also because finalising my job opportunity first.
Yep, did it online but we had to do it through an "agent" for some reason so used the AAA site for that.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the UK my American wife was given the benefit of her US driving experience to make her insurance lower. Looks like they wont be as flexible over there for me.
As Bob says you may find they probably won't take your previous driving record in the UK into account at all.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

www.amica.com You can ask for a quote online, it starts like this:

We need to ask you a few questions before we get started.
Are you currently an Amica customer? Yes No
Do you currently have liability insurance equal to or greater than $50,000? Yes No
Have you been licensed to drive less than three years? Yes No
In the last three years, has any driver in your household been convicted of any major motor vehicle violation or offense, such as driving under the influence or reckless driving? Yes No
In the last three years, has any driver in your household had his or her driving privileges suspended or revoked? Yes

If you give a wrong answer here, I guess that will be where the quote ends.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

watchcamFloridabound is an unknown quantity at this point

Straightaway an issue. I will have a US licence for a day when I need insurance. This is the issue with this type of site.
Will say yes and push on to see if it quotes me.
Still looking for a proper friendly broker to talk to, but will try any sites recommended.
It's important I know as I am massive petrol head so want to make sure I will get insurance on something with lots of horsepower.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

I just spoke to them. Absolutely no hope from Amica. They will insure those only with an existing policy in the US.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
As Bob says you may find they probably won't take your previous driving record in the UK into account at all.
Seems so. Re credit I will pay cash up front anyway.
Need someone with common sense I think. Might have to wait till I get over there I think. Surprised no one here has had this issue though.
Will fin a solution somehow
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Need someone with common sense I think. Might have to wait till I get over there I think. Surprised no one here has had this issue though.
That's not the point. Everything is based on your credit history In the US and you do not have any.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:30 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

At the end of the day it appears if you're going to be owning and driving a car then you will be getting car insurance. To that end wait until you get here and then ring around and find the insurance that best fits your budget. We used a great agent when we lived in NC but they don't cover Florida residents, so had to start with a new agent when we moved and decided to do it online. Your mileage will vary. Maybe wait until you move and physically visit (or call) your nearest agent.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
At the end of the day it appears if you're going to be owning and driving a car then you will be getting car insurance. To that end wait until you get here and then ring around and find the insurance that best fits your budget. We used a great agent when we lived in NC but they don't cover Florida residents, so had to start with a new agent when we moved and decided to do it online. Your mileage will vary. Maybe wait until you move and physically visit (or call) your nearest agent.
Thanks, it Looks like that might be the way I do it.

If anyone has moved from UK to Florida and found somene who can offer insurance please let me know.
It needs to be a proper agent not online. Google is not my friend on this one for some reason.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, it Looks like that might be the way I do it.

If anyone has moved from UK to Florida and found somene who can offer insurance please let me know.
It needs to be a proper agent not online. Google is not my friend on this one for some reason.
There are plenty of independant insurance agents everywhere
I married mine ...
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:07 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Ray
There are plenty of independant insurance agents everywhere
I married mine ...
Yep, what Ray says. You will see agents everywhere. Most have small offices in strip malls, next to supermarkets etc etc. Maybe if you share which area/city you are moving to someone here may know of a local agent they use that they can give you the phone number for.

I once got someone in touch with my local agent in NC. I gave them her telephone number and they called her from the UK.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Putnam County
Reiter Insurance Agents
Contact info: Lynn Gonzalez 386-698-2400 or 386-467-2068

They mainly use Progressive
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We arranged ours through AIG/Travelguard. We had quotes of $2000+ from other companies for 6 months, in the end it cost us just over $400 for 6 months through them. They use 21st Century insurance. We are still with them 20 months later as they are still the cheapest when it comes to renewing by several hundred dollars, although it did go up when we got our Florida DL's!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
We arranged ours through AIG/Travelguard. We had quotes of $2000+ from other companies for 6 months, in the end it cost us just over $400 for 6 months through them. They use 21st Century insurance. We are still with them 20 months later as they are still the cheapest when it comes to renewing by several hundred dollars, although it did go up when we got our Florida DL's!!
Thank you, this sounds promising. Will look them up and give them a call later in the week. Tough couple of days at work coming up so will park it till then but sounds good. I think you can only use UK licence for 30 days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.