Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!-untitled.png?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you like to go into a shop and be grunted at by a rude, miserable, probably non speaking English assistant or have a welcome (however insincere) like 'welcome, can I help you' 'have a nice day' ....US customer service wins hands down.....Call centres...all Indian in UK...can't understand a word and can never help....US Call centres...miles, miles better......Weather better, property cheaper, more space, loads of things to do.....I'm a Brit but sad to say our country has had it
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
im better looking but close xx
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
Would you like to go into a shop and be grunted at by a rude, miserable, probably non speaking English assistant or have a welcome (however insincere) like 'welcome, can I help you' 'have a nice day' ....US customer service wins hands down.....Call centres...all Indian in UK...can't understand a word and can never help....US Call centres...miles, miles better......Weather better, property cheaper, more space, loads of things to do.....I'm a Brit but sad to say our country has had it
3...2...1 I was waiting for the immigrants.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Wow. Isn't it odd that most people's perception of British weather, including people who LIVE in Britain is that it rains more days than it doesn't?

I know last spring/summer was dry-ish (I was in London for 5 months) but otherwise, if I was asked, I would also say that it rains and/or drizzles probably at least 50% of the time
You'd be amazed, I think it's the 'negative Brit' thing. Last summer a friend of mine made a comment about how she hoped the summer was going to be better than the last one when it 'rained constantly'. I pointed out that it had actually only rained 6 days between April and the end of July - we were being re-roofed so I was watching for rain like a hawk and even had records kept daily for billing purposes. She was amazed and then admitted her memory was playing tricks when she looked back at photos and found her daughter playing in the paddling pool almost every day even in April!

We're in a very dry part of the UK, but even so it's amazing how local people seem to think it rains far more than it actually does.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
or...Florida is briiiiiiiiiiiilliant!
im lucky to have houses in UK and Florida...if I could I would be in US full time....you should stop moaning about LA or move back to UK and / or being negative....what's the point?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

im lucky to have houses in UK and Florida...if I could I would be in US full time....you should stop moaning about LA or move back to UK and / or being negative....what's the point?
Where am I 'moaning'?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

This is just too funny now.

When I'm in the LA office, I have to get a colleague to order my lunch, as people don't understand me. Customer service is good in the UK, and you don't have to tell the sales assistant who is following you around, making suggestions, to F off. I called Virgin Atlantic call center last week, spoke to a lovely English woman who dealt with my call in around 3 minutes because she didn't have to give me loads of drivel about 'anything else I can help you with today...' Property certainly isn't cheaper in the Bay Area (where I now live) compared to Buckinghamshire (where I relocated from) and my garden is smaller here than it was there. There is plenty to do in the UK, more so than where we currently live, and equally so to LA (and it's easier to do these things in the rain, than in 120 degree heat). Unless you want to spend all day sat on the beach of course.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'd be amazed, I think it's the 'negative Brit' thing. Last summer a friend of mine made a comment about how she hoped the summer was going to be better than the last one when it 'rained constantly'. I pointed out that it had actually only rained 6 days between April and the end of July - we were being re-roofed so I was watching for rain like a hawk and even had records kept daily for billing purposes. She was amazed and then admitted her memory was playing tricks when she looked back at photos and found her daughter playing in the paddling pool almost every day even in April!

We're in a very dry part of the UK, but even so it's amazing how local people seem to think it rains far more than it actually does.
Britain actually doesn't have a high proportion of immigrants or a very corrupt government either.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

whether it actually rains or not is irrelevant ....last 6 summers (apart from last one) have been poor...Also 91.7% of the time the sky is GREY...this is a FACT...if you like that then good for you....personally I hate it...Ricketts is on its way back in UK coz of lack of vitamin D / sunshine....hoorahhhh!!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

US call centres are Indian as well. One or two in Mexico I think. Nothing wrong with Indians or Mexicans but it's rare I'll call customer support for a US company and there's an American on the other end. So that's bollocks for a kick off.

Rain in the UK? Yeah, it rains in the US as well. Also, I think you are confusing overcast with wet. It might be overcast for 200 odd days a year but I doubt it rains on all 200 of those days. So that's bollocks too.

Regionally, one can easily find all kinds of weather in the US, some good some bad, some in between. It isn't always better than the weather in the UK at any given moment and weather is what it is, if you're basing your choice of residence based solely on that, you're bound to be disappointed.

I like living here (though that took a while) and I don't think it's shit in the UK - so wrap your head around that ...
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

...Ricketts is on its way back in UK coz of lack of vitamin D / sunshine....hoorahhhh!!
Oooh! You definitely should go back Sally
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
Oooh! You definitely should go back Sally

Rickets is an issue in communities with dress codes that cover up totally, for sure.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
This is just too funny now.

When I'm in the LA office, I have to get a colleague to order my lunch, as people don't understand me. Customer service is good in the UK, and you don't have to tell the sales assistant who is following you around, making suggestions, to F off. I called Virgin Atlantic call center last week, spoke to a lovely English woman who dealt with my call in around 3 minutes because she didn't have to give me loads of drivel about 'anything else I can help you with today...' Property certainly isn't cheaper in the Bay Area (where I now live) compared to Buckinghamshire (where I relocated from) and my garden is smaller here than it was there. There is plenty to do in the UK, more so than where we currently live, and equally so to LA (and it's easier to do these things in the rain, than in 120 degree heat). Unless you want to spend all day sat on the beach of course.
well move back to UK then x
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

whether it actually rains or not is irrelevant ....last 6 summers (apart from last one) have been poor...Also 91.7% of the time the sky is GREY...this is a FACT...if you like that then good for you....personally I hate it...Ricketts is on its way back in UK coz of lack of vitamin D / sunshine....hoorahhhh!!
So logically you are saying that there is less sunshine in the UK than there used to be? Come on!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.